GLOVES COMPULSORY IN FRANCE FOR RIDERS AND PASSENGERS (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
Another new law has passed us by, we discovered today from a well meaning local that it is compulsory for rider and passengers on motor scooters and bikes to wear gloves. The fine is €68 for being caught riding without. The old woolly mittens or marigolds won't do either, they have to be ce approved motor bike gloves.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another new law has passed us by, we discovered today from a well meaning local that it is compulsory for rider and passengers on motor scooters and bikes to wear gloves. The fine is €68 for being caught riding without. The old woolly mittens or marigolds won't do either, they have to be ce approved motor bike gloves.
Would you ever ride without?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I believe you need a Hi Viz thing each too, spare bulbs, a GB sticker and two breathalysers (although there's no fine for those o_O).

Anything else?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You'd have to be some special kind of cretin to ever even consider riding without gloves.
Im a cretin then(y) what difference would gloves make when you are in short T shirt and flip flops.

You don't really need to answer as I know all the answers myself, "do as I say not as I do":LOL:

Back to the gloves, I think you will find they need to be CE approved so lots of people may need to buy new ones.

Martin

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
cor blimey I,ve, only just mot the the old old scoot this morning and my wooly gloves match my scarf

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Im a cretin then(y) what difference would gloves make when you are in short T shirt and flip flops.

You don't really need to answer as I know all the answers myself, "do as I say not as I do":LOL:

Martin

If you know what will happen if you come off and sill choose to ride dressed like that there's nothing much anyone can say really is there.

Don't forget to post the pictures of your gravel rash when it happens. That's always good for a laugh (y):D2

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
And reflective stickers on all 4 sides of your helmet.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you know what will happen if you come off and sill choose to ride dressed like that there's nothing much anyone can say really is there.

Don't forget to post the pictures of your gravel rash when it happens. That's always good for a laugh (y):D2
But I can do 50 or 60 mph on a cycle in lycra and track mitts so what makes a scooter at 30 mph that much different.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But I can do 50 or 60 mph on a cycle in lycra and track mitts so what makes a scooter at 30 mph that much different.

Martin

If you fall off nothing.

If you're older than 16 you probably look more of a tit on the scooter than you do in Lycra on a road bike of course. That's a difference :D2

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sorry but the glib replies are inappropriate: cycling in Lycra is not very good for safety but as many precautions are taken as are reasonably possible - see TdF cyclists (and the injuries from low-speed falls). There's no excuse for anyone riding a motorcycle / scooter lacking protection. You're not going to sweat buckets through the intense physical effort and you're not in a race. So wear minimal, but sensible, protection. Gravel rash even at low speed can require skin grafts and months of discomfort to repair. Decent clothing, strong shoes/boots, and a helmet and gloves are the minimum. With decent gear you can stay cool and be reasonably well protected.

There are threads on here devoted to the protection afforded by the use of seat belts and dog restraints when using the MH. I assume the same devotion to safety doesn't apply once on site and a much more risky device is hauled out of / off the rear of it?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Sorry but the glib replies are inappropriate: cycling in Lycra is not very good for safety but as many precautions are taken as are reasonably possible - see TdF cyclists (and the injuries from low-speed falls). There's no excuse for anyone riding a motorcycle / scooter lacking protection. You're not going to sweat buckets through the intense physical effort and you're not in a race. So wear minimal, but sensible, protection. Gravel rash even at low speed can require skin grafts and months of discomfort to repair. Decent clothing, strong shoes/boots, and a helmet and gloves are the minimum. With decent gear you can stay cool and be reasonably well protected.

There are threads on here devoted to the protection afforded by the use of seat belts and dog restraints when using the MH. I assume the same devotion to safety doesn't apply once on site and a much more risky device is hauled out of / off the rear of it?

In reference to your comment about not sweating buckets try getting all the gear on in temperatures at 30c and above, then get the machine out, gear etc and you are sweating buckets I would suggest a great many MH's on here us.e Scooters etc in such Temperatures. One size doesn't fit all and tootling down the road in all the gear would be totally impractical, Safer yes.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The road surface doesn’t take into account what size bike you were riding when you hit it. The only thing it is interested in is how fast you were going and what you are wearing.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Lighten up folks. There are plenty things in life that impact on others, and the Nanny State and PCness legislate against several more.

People driving who do not deserve or are unfit to have a licence, who are chatting or texting to their mates on mobile phones, who are arguing with their kids or spouses - they pose a risk to us all. People who choose to ride in the apparel of their choice pose a risk only to themselves.

Generally speaking I've seen people riding far to fast thinking that in some way their clothing will protect them against the worst, and in truth people with less protection often ride slower and have less accidents for the same reason.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
cor blimey I,ve, only just mot the the old old scoot this morning and my wooly gloves match my scarf
Wear them OVER your 'official' gloves then! You'll look like you've got hands the size of Shrek! :D2

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Martin
Don't forget the straw hat you wear to keep the sun off your bonce. (y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I thought it was long sleeved tops and long kecks too as well as the gloves law?

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
WHAT !!!!!!!!!!
NO glib replies.
This site is descending to old fogey status.
I may have to pack my bags and find another site to upset.

JUST KIDDING !!!!

I'll stay and carry on glibly

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
friend of mine did get stopped while at Le Mans 24 hour last month, cautioned only

but the law is totally bonkers, yes gloves are a good safety measure, but shorts and no shirt are still 'acceptable' in French traffic law for the rest of the body protection o_Oo_O

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp

Martin
Martin you in lycra is not a picture I wanted in my mind while eating breakfast, lol

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin you in lycra is not a picture I wanted in my mind while eating breakfast, lol
When I said "I" I really meant anybody so just think of someone else:LOL:

Martin

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Just been stopped on the Ile de re by the police for riding our Vespa without gloves. He asked if I had gloves with me and said I could continue if I put them on. He didnt look at the gloves or even check I had put them on before I rode off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back