Gloucester Services M5 (Northbound) How long? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

This weekend we travelled up to Stafford to see our Granddaughter (and Jim at the show!!!)

On our way, we stopped at the new, privately owned (apparently completely financed by a local farmer) Gloucester Services on the M5.

The first thing that struck me was the absence of any signage that threatened arrivals with dire consequences should they stay longer than the usual two hours. The place was heaving with customers in cars etc. but only one motorhome. Spend £30 and you can get the diesel down to a nearly reasonable £1.36 a litre (ie 10p per litre off)

Lets see how long it takes for someone to wreck the only opportunity for those coming up from the 'Pointy End' to park up for a few hours kip or rest , by disposing of grey, black or any other kind of detritus to the upset of all.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It's the same family that run Tebay Services further north on the M6. That has been rated as the country's best motorway services for many years. Tebay even has a campsite attached, for those wanting a longer stopover - although it does charge campsite prices. You can arrive late though, which makes you very unpopular at a lot of campsites. They also run the J38 Truck & Coach Stop.

I don't know about Gloucester, but the northern ends operate the usual 2 hours free policy, after which there are charges.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Drinking water is available at Tebay services and you can use the campsite to dump toilet waste. I do not know the charge for the dump.

M25 Cobham Services has a dump point but no drinking water is available. Charge £5.

Westmoorland Ltd (Tebay services, J38 truck stop and Gloucester services operators) were informed about putting in a service point at Gloucester and they said they would consider it. Has this happened?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
UOTE="John & Joan, post: 1058200, member: 10851"]
Westmoorland Ltd (Tebay services, J38 truck stop and Gloucester services operators) were informed about putting in a service point at Gloucester and they said they would consider it. Has this happened?[/QUOTE]

Looks like it has. I'm not sure if it is just me but I think the M6 Tebay services isn't as good as it used to be. The southbound was always better than the northbound IMO, staff friendlier and better informed.

It would be nice to see all the motorway services run by local co-operatives and serving / supplying really good food.

I picked up a leaflet at a garden centre (can't find it now of course) containing a list of garden centres with restaurants etc just off motorways. If you were wanting a break from driving it would be a good idea to pull off and use the facilities as they often have food outlets as well as the usual cafe and garden stuff. Obviously not for over-nighting though.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I'm not sure if it is just me but I think the M6 Tebay services isn't as good as it used to be. The southbound was always better than the northbound IMO, staff friendlier and better informed.
I don't think it is just you. I've seen a lot of similar comments. It's not a part of the M6 I travel very often, so I don't have any recent personal experience.

I suspect that management may have been spread a bit thin with all the work involved in opening Gloucester. Let's hope they notice & get things back on track. It could be a change of generation too - I would guess the founders are retired by now - or nearly so.

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
...I picked up a leaflet at a garden centre (can't find it now of course) containing a list of garden centres with restaurants etc just off motorways. If you were wanting a break from driving it would be a good idea to pull off and use the facilities as they often have food outlets as well as the usual cafe and garden stuff. Obviously not for over-nighting though.

Might it have been this...?
http://www.thegardencentregroup.co.uk/services/motorway-service-station-alternatives

I also found this which might be useful...
http://offmotorway.com/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yes, that's it Styx. I get fed up with motorway services not being able to provide food for people who need a special diet. Many times I've been left with nothing to eat and just a glass of water to sip when travelling by bus. Complaints just get a shrug - and a letter usually gives vouchers which would be fine if I could actually use them!!!! With the motorhome I can make something for myself of course :) so don't need the overpriced nasty selection motorway services think is acceptable.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
N.B.

Gloucester Services is Northbound only (at the mo).
There isn't a Southbound option.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back