Globecar Summit Owners - Check Rooflights! (1 Viewer)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Guys,

If you've got a Globecar Summit then be sure to keep an eye on the various rooflights for water ingress.

We have three on ours (the big one over the dinnete, one in the shower and one over the bed) and all three have had to be removed and fully resealed due to leaks.

Our van is a 2019 model.

All the best,

Andrew

Two recent pics:

Screenshot_20210301-183358_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210301-183413_Gallery.jpg

Wadski

Free Member
Dec 1, 2020
Oakham
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
I've just ordered a Summit prime 640 - being delivered in 3 weeks time. A bit concerned about this and the other thread about the "moon roof" problems in Germany, can these issues be fixed satisfactorily or should I be worried? Loved the van in the dry showroom but don't want to end up with ongoing issues. Thanks. Steve

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Leaking roof lights are rare on PVCs
Not sure what you mean by moon roof and I keep a eye on the German Possl/Globecar forum
There are one or two Funsters that have had odd issues over the years with their vans but the consensus is overall they are good
I would be getting another if I ever had the funds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've just ordered a Summit prime 640 - being delivered in 3 weeks time. A bit concerned about this and the other thread about the "moon roof" problems in Germany, can these issues be fixed satisfactorily or should I be worried? Loved the van in the dry showroom but don't want to end up with ongoing issues. Thanks. Steve

Hi Steve (and my apologies for a slow reply),

I wouldn't worry so much about the front sky roof as there now seems to be a fix in place that deals with many of the problems. The dealers seem to be aware of it too. That said, keep an eye on things.

The German Possl Forum does report a high degree of noise from the front overhead window and the critics do say that Globecar (unlike Adria) have done very little R&D to make it work properly in the Summit but the window does afford a feeling of openness in the cab area - that's a big plus for those who want that type of thing.

The only reason(s) why we wouldn't opt for a Prime variant ourselves is that we wouldn't want to lose the huge parcel shelf which we currently have in the standard Summit 640 (it's incredibly useful for touring). Also, the front cab area on a Prime can be very cold in the winter and since we mainly tour the highlands & Islands then it would just be one more apperture that needs extra insulation when parked up for the night.

It's a well known fact in Germany that the Globecar H-Line factory (not to be confused with the D-line factory which prouduces the Campscouts, Roadscouts etc) has suffered immensely with the quality of its Summit range but that's definitely on the turn now and they seem to be improving their quality control system (not before time).

Our Summit 640 has undergone a huge amount of repair work but it's now in perfect working condition - so we'll be selling it soon, lol.

The only thing that pi$$es me off with the Summit is that Globecar still hasn't bothered its arse to change the external windows for some that don't look like they've been warped and melted in the sun.

If you look at the current 640 Prime at SMC then you'll see what I mean. The windows are already 'proper warped' and this really does detract immensely from the external looks of the van. They resemble a cheap 'n' nasty afterthought to me!

We, via SMC, did try to get all four replaced under warranty, since we deemed them to be faulty, but both Globecar and then Dometic rejected our two claims saying that they were 'fit for purpose', i.e. watertight.

Screenshot_20210427-073615_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210427-073639_Samsung Internet.jpg

When you inspect your Summit then be sure to check for bouncy and spongy floors, warped double floors (under the table) and warped cupboard doors, plus the general trim edges around the furniture for peeling as these seem to be the main quality issues which are slipping out of the factory these days (according to the big German forum).

We've had 7 water leaks too date (all 3 roof windows; 2 x Dometic toilet hatch; 2 x shower cubicle) which have been repaired under warranty - but keep an eye on these areas.

My comments are a bit negative but we've just had 'the special van' with every conceivable fault possible. I'm certain that yours will be much-much better.

If you have any questions then drop me a note or PM me sir.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
This was another issue posted on the Summit forum just a few days ago. It's a common issue so as long as you get everything fixed under warranty then you'll be fine - this is the exact same issue that we had with the Heki light over the dinette area.

All the best,

Andrew

German Possle quote - 21 Apr 2021: "In the spring, after washing the roof surface by hand (pollen), I noticed a large water stain on the headliner of the front Heki. After drying and good ventilation, it disappeared without any stains. In autumn I had the KaWa machine washed and that stain again. There must have been a fundamental leak in the roof window. Now that there was snow on it and it thawed again, the blackout blind and the inner frame were full of water and this dripped onto the table. This will have to be remedied by my dealer at the end of January. Guarantee until May 2021. It is always worth checking the motor vehicle for leaks in winter".

Wadski

Free Member
Dec 1, 2020
Oakham
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Andrew,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I've sent you a private message :)

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
Do these leaking issues only apply to the Globecar Summits and Summit Primes? We've just put down a deposit on a Globecar Roadscout Elegance!

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Started 2012, 1st Burstner Ixeo it720, 2nd Carthago C-Tourer i150:)
We bought a Globecar RoadScout R Elegance last year and no leaks so far:) However we have collected a wasp trapped in the double skin. Hopefully it will be removed on our visit to SMC tomorrow:)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Do these leaking issues only apply to the Globecar Summits and Summit Primes? We've just put down a deposit on a Globecar Roadscout Elegance!

It only applies to the Globecar H-line models, i.e. Summit etc.

It does not apply to the D-line models, i.e Campscout, Roadscout, Globescout, Revolution.

They are made entirely in different factories.

The Globecar D-Line models are fantastic bits of kit so no worries there.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Andrew

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
We bought a Globecar RoadScout R Elegance last year and no leaks so far:) However we have collected a wasp trapped in the double skin. Hopefully it will be removed on our visit to SMC tomorrow:)
That’s great, thanks. Can’t wait to get ours.

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
That’s great, thanks. Can’t wait to get ours.

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
It only applies to the Globecar H-line models, i.e. Summit etc.

It does not apply to the D-line models, i.e Campscout, Roadscout, Globescout, Revolution.

They are made entirely in different factories.

The Globecar D-Line models are fantastic bits of kit so no worries there.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, that’s reassuring. We looked at the summit prime but I am glad we chose the roadscout!

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
We ordered the Summit Prime 540, but when it arrived it was not screwed together well. I’ll fitting cupboards, aluminium shower curtain fell off it’s runner, etc. So relooked at the RoadScout and found it had more robust fittings. We managed to fit 3 x 155w solar panels on roof with 2 x 100ah Transporter lithium batteries, votronic triple charger by SMC. All works well, so enjoy Helsie2020

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We ordered the Summit Prime 540, but when it arrived it was not screwed together well. I’ll fitting cupboards, aluminium shower curtain fell off it’s runner, etc. So relooked at the RoadScout and found it had more robust fittings. We managed to fit 3 x 155w solar panels on roof with 2 x 100ah Transporter lithium batteries, votronic triple charger by SMC. All works well, so enjoy Helsie2020

That sounds like a truly fab off-grid camper. I'm very impressed with its credentials :cool:

However, I'm not surprised that you changed from the Summit to the Roadscout - a good move indeed.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks Andrew, that’s reassuring. We looked at the summit prime but I am glad we chose the roadscout!
Make sure you post up some pics - we love some good proper camping photos on here, preferably with a bottle of red wine and a view of a loch :cool:

MobyDick57

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 21, 2019
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft 78F
Exp
Thanks Blue Knight:)
Will post photo of roof of RoadScout tomorrow, Ninight

Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Very rarely need to use EHU. SMC managed to fit a 2kw inverter under the bench seat with a microwave, so hot breakfasts:)
I see that you have downsized to a smaller PVC. We also have the Roadscout R albeit a 2014 model. We love the way it drives (especially with rear air suspension) and convenience of parking anywhere. I am going to fit a Webasto diesel heater to supplement the Truma as we will be using our van in the Alps off grid (and we don't want to rely on availability of refill LPG). The Webasto will be fitted externally under the bench seat with ducting coming up into the cavity.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Leaking roof lights are rare on PVCs

It looks to be a fairly common issue on the Summit range in Germany, according to their Possl site.

What also seems to be appearing, worryingly, is a number of reports which talk about the side windows leaking too. They warp further in the sun and then water ingress occurs.

One guy yesterday said jokingly that you shouldn't leave your Summit in direct sunlight, lol.

With the number of issues now being reported for the Summit range it appears that Globecar has really let itself down - they need to pick it up a bit or else their reputation is going to suffer.

It's only a matter of time until the new UK Summit Owners start experiencing issues.

The missus and I may need to consider a tent at this rate, lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back