Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have had our Globecar Campscout for just over 3 months now and the only problem we had was with the compressor fridge defrosting, Thetford and SMC were brilliant with getting us a new fridge fitted.
We really are impressed with the van and layout, we're also getting 32 mpg at the moment with just 1600 miles on the clock,also all the accessories that I've fitted really make it home from home.
How are other Globecar owners getting on with theirs.

John.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have had our Globecar Campscout for just over 3 months now and the only problem we had was with the compressor fridge defrosting, Thetford and SMC were brilliant with getting us a new fridge fitted.
We really are impressed with the van and layout, we're also getting 32 mpg at the moment with just 1600 miles on the clock,also all the accessories that I've fitted really make it home from home.
How are other Globecar owners getting on with theirs.

John.
Thanks for the feed back its on my list when we downsize I love the build. Now to convince Rob!

locsuna

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
North East
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since 2014
Great vans, never thought I'd think anything was better than my T5 but it is. Had it since Feb and up until now the only fault has been the plastic fold out bit that keeps the fridge door open when it's off. On first long trip at the mo and loving it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Still waiting for SMC to sort out our long running warranty claim stuff ... no response to my latest email! :mad:

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Still waiting for SMC to sort out our long running warranty claim stuff ... no response to my latest email! :mad:

I must admit @Minxy Girl I was really frustrated with SMCs customer service, after many phone calls and emails I finally got in touch with Gavin the MD and things moved on quite quickly after that.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I must admit @Minxy Girl I was really frustrated with SMCs customer service, after many phone calls and emails I finally got in touch with Gavin the MD and things moved on quite quickly after that.

John.
If I don't hear back from Warren or Alistair (who I copied in) then that will be my next port of call ... it's getting stupid now ... most of the window blind internal frame corner joints at the bottom (that hold the base of the vertical framework in place) have 'cracked', I suspect that they were installed too tightly originally and have been under pressure which, due to the part of the corner joint that covers the upright being very, very thin, meant that they have gradually cracked and in some instanced broken off completely - totally stupid 'weak' design - I'm gonna have to tape all of them up so we don't have problems when we go on holiday in a few weeks' time - might be worth checking the ones on your camper just to be safe. There are other things too but this is by far the most 'annoying'.

The actual build of the camper itself is great so still very happy with it otherwise.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We've had ours about 18Mths now and love it, so far the only thing thats needing repaired/changed is the bulb above the cooker which went on our last outing, I still haven't worked out how to remove it yet.
We have cover around 8 or 9000 miles.

We still love it and have no regrets about downsizing, will be getting it ready soon as we're off to Poland and the Czech republic.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If I don't hear back from Warren or Alistair (who I copied in) then that will be my next port of call ... it's getting stupid now ... most of the window blind internal frame corner joints at the bottom (that hold the base of the vertical framework in place) have 'cracked', I suspect that they were installed too tightly originally and have been under pressure which, due to the part of the corner joint that covers the upright being very, very thin, meant that they have gradually cracked and in some instanced broken off completely - totally stupid 'weak' design - I'm gonna have to tape all of them up so we don't have problems when we go on holiday in a few weeks' time - might be worth checking the ones on your camper just to be safe. There are other things too but this is by far the most 'ann

The actual build of the camper itself is great so still very happy with it otherwise.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would buy anything off SMC, Alistair Briggs Price thinks it fine to have 14 year old tyres on a van as long as they pass the MOT. Gavin was going to change them but then said'' I will go with what Alistair says, he is the expert''. Expert my backside.

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We have a campscout, now 3 years old, today just went over 20,000 miles in South of France. For us it's almost perfect.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We are coming close to a year of ownership.
The Truma was supplied faulty and it was an unusual fault. We ended up taking it directly to Truma who swapped it for a new one. The table was also defective from new, the trim was short. We were sent a new top and I fitted it to save going to the dealer. Other than these problems from new we are happy with it.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Had our Campscout Revolution for nearly two years
No exciting faults to report.
Fridge light fault that turned out to be poor connection at the control box under seat Sorted ok by Dicksons Perth
Only other issue was the Fiat instrument cluster glowing warning lights. Replaced by A M Philips Broxburn.
Mpg currently 32 but don't tend not to dawdle on motorways etc
Next big trip Germany

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
This is a great thread it’s been really interesting reading all the posts.

We have had our Campscout Revolution (2015) for a few days and we are still trying to find our way around and figure out how everything works.

We have downloaded the manual, thanks to John, and just sorted out getting the fridge to work on gas. The ‘travel catch nose’ is broken on ours too so we will have to try and source one.

The main light on the ceiling is way outside our reach, does anyone know if there is another switch anywhere?

Ginny and Mike

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We're still loving ours, made a few improvements which I'll post soon (y)

Hi – it’s coming up for my first full year of ownership, so as promised here is a review of the changes that we’ve made since we bought it new (Globecar Roadscout).

I had hoped to provide pictures over the winter but sadly that has not happened due to other time eating priorities and the poor weather. If anyone desperately needs to see a picture then it might happen if you ask to be honest, most are already dotted around up here somewhere.

OK. We had some plans already for when the van was collected. We had a dealer fitted rear view camera and a solar panel. I’m not a great fan of wooden floors, I fear they will get scratched, they are hard on the feet and are just cold and get clammy. So one of the first things I did was make newspaper templates of the living area and ‘garage’ floor and used them to scissor cut rubber backed carpet that I secured with odd bits of double sided tape. This stuff is cheap from ebay and good at catching crumbs etc for collection and protects the floor. Very pleased with this mod and added a couple of Turtle mats to catch any mud or wet from incoming boots – you can’t keep the big door open for too long in the wet and cold.

I added an IKEA pull down blind above the sliding door exit as a projector screen and mounted a Philips Picopix projector under the opposite overhead cupboard. That provided for our entertainment needs and has worked very well.

After our first trip we made some further mods. We found it very difficult to work out what the heating controls were telling us, especially the location of the outer twisting rings. A small dab of Tipp-Ex (other white fluids are available) on the indicator tab made a world of difference. Similarly, a few dabs of Black felt pen on the fridge volume control made it much easier to see the settings. A Kidde Carbon monoxide alarm was fitted above the dinette seats and a fire blanket above the cooker on the side of the overhead cupboard. A fire extinguisher was bought but is still sitting in the drivers door pocket, the smoke alarm has yet to find a home as we haven’t tested it during cooking yet. A towel drying rail was put up parallel to the shower door near the shower head and a towel hook was stuck to the right of the bathroom mirror. Two more sticky hooks were placed on the side of the kitchen drawer unit by the sliding door, where a rubbish bag with handles can be secured there when parked up. Nearly forgot - replaced tiny hinges on flip up table extension with a 'piano' hinge as it sagged the first time I leaned on it ;)

After our second set of trips the entertainment was upgraded with a remote speaker and a Freeview DVD player inside the dinette overhead cupboard. We also realised that the basic electrical control panel was very poor, dropping from 12.7 to 12.2 almost right away and inducing power panic A cheap Chinese/ebay Volt and amp meter was fitted into the plastic back of the driver’s seat. We also had a Strikeback alarm fitted at Vanbitz. We fitted some cut your length plastic drawer dividers in the cutlery drawer but this is a work in progress as I’m not entirely happy with the result and may make something better next time.

The latest upgrade is that we had a 12v socket fitted in the dinette next to the mains one. £50 at Signature (Preston).

That’s all that springs to mind in terms of modifications. Just to round it off though here is a list of the more important (better) things that we’ve bought, in no particular order - Milenco Quattro Ramps, anti slip traction mats, folding snow shovel, food grade water hose and a filler cap, a Generator (for bike meetings only), a Rotary drier, external 'silver screen' mainly to reduce condensation, a remote temperature sensor, a cheap Go Outdoors Awning/Tent and some comfy folding seats and table table, an Endless Breeze Fan, a Tassimo Vivy coffee machine, a pair of pans that fit together on the hob (large frying/steaming and small saucepan) with tiny handles, a small ‘fun’ jug water filter for fridge door.

First trip of the year next week and first use for the 3rd bed - we'll see what new ideas that turns up! (y) :)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
On phone so will be brief.

4 1/2 years in, still love ours.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hey @Vanman
I like to know the internal and external temperature... especially when deciding if it's time to get out of bed in the morning and take the dog out, or if I should "encourage" my husband to do it instead. ;)
I see that you have a remote temperature sensor. Assuming that it's outside, where have you attached it ?

locsuna

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
North East
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since 2014
I found a cheap one at Aldi only 10€ not expecting much. After a bit of trial and error I fixed the sensor to the frame fixing the waste water tank. It’s in the rear side. Only been on for a week but seems to be holding up. Shows the same as the dash in similar conditions.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hey @Vanman
I like to know the internal and external temperature... especially when deciding if it's time to get out of bed in the morning and take the dog out, or if I should "encourage" my husband to do it instead. ;)
I see that you have a remote temperature sensor. Assuming that it's outside, where have you attached it ?

Ah, tricky things assumptions ... it is an internal (but portable) remote sensor to let me know when the boiler is in danger of loosing the water. You could put it out for the night but I doubt it's waterproof and it would probably be in danger of being left behind.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I have a ThermoPro TP65 wireless indoor and outdoor thermometer (see amazon-£20 -) it is back-lit and I have velcroed the external sensor to the upper side of the steel plate that stops water from being sprayed up through the holes in the bottom of the gas locker.

I used heavy duty velcro and you will need to clean the dirt and dust off the plate before you will get the velcro to stick ;)

Last edited:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Like this ;)
EADDBA19-5858-4BBB-A84C-6BBA5CC4EA2A.jpeg
160F91CF-516E-44F6-8C2F-77C8CCF18BFB.jpeg

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
I have a ThermoPro TP65 wireless indoor and outdoor thermometer (see amazon-£20 -) it is back-lit and I have velcroed the external sensor to the upper side of the steel plate that stops eater from being sprayed up through the holes in the bottom of the gas locker.

I used heavy duty velcro and you will need to clean the dirt and dust off the plate before you will get the velcro to stick ;)
Nice one @gerry mcg
I will need to check when we pickup the van but i thought that I could see daylight and maybe the ground through the bottom of the gas locker. I've already planned to put some mesh since we have plenty of critters here who would love to move in and set up home.

Last edited:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Our van already has mesh over the holes in the gas locker, I assume the plate below the locker is there to stop water from being splashed into the locker. It is fixed to the chassis by 4 screws. I can reach the sensor by reaching under the bumper

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
@gerry mcg Just got back from a visit to the Campscout and it definitely does not have the plate below or the mesh. Another job for the list !
@Minxy Girl Have you got your Campscout yet ? Does it have anything protecting the openings in the bottom of the gas locker ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@gerry mcg Just got back from a visit to the Campscout and it definitely does not have the plate below or the mesh. Another job for the list !
@Minxy Girl Have you got your Campscout yet ? Does it have anything protecting the openings in the bottom of the gas locker ?
I haven't got it yet but I did have a look in the gas locker when we went to see it to check if it had a bulkhead mounted regulator* and I think it had mesh etc otherwise I'm sure I'd have noticed ... they should all have mesh to prevent vermin etc getting in.

(*it didn't have one as they come with bottle top ones from Germany but my dealer is putting one on for me FOC so I can connect up our Gaslow system).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back