Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try heating it up with a hairdryer Jez as it's probably a bit cold for the adhesive at the moment.

You could fit the other bit over the cab doors.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Had a look a the fuses today and all fuses ok so not sure why the strip isn't working, popping round to a mate tomorrow who should be able to help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Had a look a the fuses today and all fuses ok so not sure why the strip isn't working, popping round to a mate tomorrow who should be able to help.
Just a thought, check the connections in the 12v box if you have one, or if not try to find the jointing blocks which the wires go into, as sometimes they can come loose (can't remember the proper name of them!) - we had this happen in our previous MH when one of the rear overbed lighting tracks didn't work, I simply opened p the 'clip' slotted the wire back in and re-clipped it tight.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just a thought, check the connections in the 12v box if you have one, or if not try to find the jointing blocks which the wires go into, as sometimes they can come loose (can't remember the proper name of them!) - we had this happen in our previous MH when one of the rear overbed lighting tracks didn't work, I simply opened p the 'clip' slotted the wire back in and re-clipped it tight.

Checked all the boxes I can find and all ok, even took the light switch above the sink off in case it was connected into that, also checked no loose wires at fuse box and all seems ok.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Checked all the boxes I can find and all ok, even took the light switch above the sink off in case it was connected into that, also checked no loose wires at fuse box and all seems ok.

You've done a really good job of root causing the problem but it sounds to me as if either the +ve or -ve line is knackered somewhere.

You may want to try and test the +ve wire again but, instead of using its accompanying -ve wire, you then use an alternative negative which you already know works properly.

If this doesn't work then try a vice versa procedure with the Black wire by sourcing an alternative positive feed.

Best of luck,

Andrew

Last edited:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
have you multi-metered the track? and traced back with a multi-meter until you find current? the working track registers a 12v if you poke the probes into the track bed
that is the easiest way to find the fault.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
have you multi-metered the track? and traced back with a multi-meter until you find current? the working track registers a 12v if you poke the probes into the track bed
that is the easiest way to find the fault.

Popping round to see the mate who is an electrician to have a wee look.

Thanks for all your help.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You've done a really good job of root causing the problem but it sounds to me as if either the +ve or -ve line is knackered somewhere.

You may want to try and test the +ve wire again but, instead of using its accompanying -ve wire, you then use an alternative negative which you already know works properly.

If this doesn't work then try a vice versa procedure with the Black wire by sourcing an alternative positive feed.

Best of luck,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, it's trying to trace the wire that could be the problem. It seems to disappear into the shelf above the sink but no idea where it goes. If checked the junction box at the back on that side but all wires come from the rear into that.

Hopefully my mate will sort it if he has time today.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks Andrew, it's trying to trace the wire that could be the problem. It seems to disappear into the shelf above the sink but no idea where it goes. If checked the junction box at the back on that side but all wires come from the rear into that.

Hopefully my mate will sort it if he has time today.
The wires go up behind the shelf to the base of the cupboard so if you have a rummage at the back of the cupboard itself you might find the connectors there, tucked behind in the gap.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just back from the mates and we've got to the bottom of the problem, the terminal on the end of the buzz bar has badly corroded inside. He reckons its steam from cooking that over time has got in and corroded the terminals, I'll order a new part when home from our trip and he's advised i stick some silicon in it.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just back from the mates and we've got to the bottom of the problem, the terminal on the end of the buzz bar has badly corroded inside. He reckons its steam from cooking that over time has got in and corroded the terminals, I'll order a new part when home from our trip and he's advised i stick some silicon in it.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Interesting ... do you use lids on your pans? If you use a pressure cooker do you take the pan outside to let the steam out? My hubby does most of the cooking and is a s*d for not doing so ... I've been wanting an 'excuse' to get him to change his cooking ways so the potential 'damage' to the light fitting will be a perfect reason! (y)

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Feedback on gutter.

I fitted this and by next morning it was hanging off.
Contacted seller, who said possibly silicone or damp surface would cause it. I then pointed out the tape was still on the van and had parted with the rubber.
He refunded my purchase.
As I had nothing to loose I cleaned and roughened the rubber and put some of my double sided tape on, the old tape was yellowed, so possibly old stock.
The strip has now been up 3 days with no problem. The seller is dealing with his supplier about the issue.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Tidied up the separate 12v and 240v outlet in the bedroom .
2019-03-28 07.53.02.jpg

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@jezport have you you had any problems with the Fiamma awning case, mine closes at both ends but it doesn’t click in in the middle, I fit a long zip tie across the middle.
I’ve reported this twice with SMC but they say there’s no problem.

John.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
@jezport have you you had any problems with the Fiamma awning case, mine closes at both ends but it doesn’t click in in the middle, I fit a long zip tie across the middle.

John.
Mine has a slight gap in the middle. Think they are all like that, too thinner metal. I think it's caused by the awning fabric when the wind balloons it up bending the case.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

John.

Mine has a slight gap in the middle. Think they are all like that, too thinner metal. I think it's caused by the awning fabric when the wind balloons it up bending the case.

Have your awnings got the 2 small bracing brackets fitted to the top to stop the casing flexing? When we got our Familyscout from SMC they fitted the new Fiamma awning but hadn't bothered to put them on but they are a necessity for longer awnings.

upload_2019-3-28_21-20-48.png

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Interesting ... do you use lids on your pans? If you use a pressure cooker do you take the pan outside to let the steam out? My hubby does most of the cooking and is a s*d for not doing so ... I've been wanting an 'excuse' to get him to change his cooking ways so the potential 'damage' to the light fitting will be a perfect reason! (y)

We don’t use a pressure cooker just a double skillet and a kettle, would imagine kettle does most damage. Might have been better if the wires came in opposite end above sink .

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi @lorger ,
I have just checked and can confirm the lights are directional.
my lights work and I removed the strip light, reversed it and tried and it doesn't work, so I reversed it back to original orientation and it works fine.
G :)

Just an update on lights working one way, my original spots only work one way but the new strip seems to work both

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Have your awnings got the 2 small bracing brackets fitted to the top to stop the casing flexing? When we got our Familyscout from SMC they fitted the new Fiamma awning but hadn't bothered to put them on but they are a necessity for longer awnings.

View attachment 293184

Yes Mel we have the 2 small brackets fitted.

John.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We went away to stay at another funsters last night, The CP+ panel really does improve the blown air heating when on electric as on eco the air just trickles, on high fan it does really work better and gets the van warmer faster. We always presumed the electric elements were not up to heating properly but it seems it was down to fan speed. The temperature display is also better, actually knowing what temperature is set is far more accurate.
The new LEDs are also working well, and the over door gutter remains on the van after 200 miles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back