Globecar Modifications

Discussion in 'Globecar' started by jezport, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +3,510
    Here's a pic that I've just taken two minutes ago which shows the area of the hab door that has the 20mm black foam applied to the inside skin.

It proves just how little of the actual surface area has been covered in insulation:

20190110_093741.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +3,510
    What a crappy job today guys!

I insulated the hab door today and from start to finish, including tools away and a clean of the carpets and surfaces, it took me all of 4-hours. It was not an easy task due to the access problems etc.

I'm not sure many others will be following in my footsteps :D

I took a few pics but these are two of the most important to me, i.e. the completed job:

20190110_135456.jpg

20190110_140853.jpg

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. Garfields

Garfields Funster

Ratings:
    +454
    I think Blue Knight going a bit overboard (y)
    Get out camping in the cold and see how you find it
    Not had any great issues keeping warm
    We do have the external screens though
    But just for info the link below should take you to German forum and some thermal picks of the vans
    Most heat loss is where the panels join and not much can be done about that

https://poesslforum.de/forum/allgem...aufspuerung-mittels-waermebildkamera?start=10

4. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +3,510
    Sorry, I would love to respond in-depth to that but I need to pop out and buy some more insulation for my Globie project. :D.......:cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like it Like it x 2
  5. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +4,838
    5025D865-6EA4-4EAC-8DB0-C800389FA248.jpeg Is there enough here for you Andrew?

John.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. jezport

jezport Funster

Ratings:
    +3,201
    I didnt want to effect ventilation and cause rust so applied 2 layers of silver bubble insulation over rge door card then upholstered it over the top with vinyl giving it a padded effect. Photos are on Fun somewhere.
    Do not pack any area with fiberglass loft insulation, it holds water and will cause rot.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +3,510
    I fully agree. I would also go as far to say that the best remedy for any doors in a Globcar is just to cover them with a thermal blanket (or any thick material) to help stop/reduce the thermal currents which originate from the internal bare metal; the gear that comes in the cold weather pack comes to mind.

At the end of the day a PVC is just a metal box and they don't always do well with extreme cold weather. The saving grace is that the Truma system has only to heat a small volume of air so that helps counter a good number of the heat loss issues.

In my case I have injected one litre of waxoyl into the three doors and then applied the insulation so I'm not that fussed with the rust for now.

We are hoping to keep the van for at least 12-18 months but once sold it will be stripped of its VB Air, Galsow, CB, multi- cameras, carpets, door insulation, and then sold on.

As a footnote: Our hab door no longer makes any noise when I shut it so there'll be no complaints from the neighbours when we visit a site in future :D

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +5,391

Wow Andrew, that's not long to keep the van, are already thinking of the next one, or giving it up?

9. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +3,510
    Not good eh Paul!

It's going to be a very big year for Nicky and I which could result in us leaving the hobby.

That said I won't miss the bl○○dy problems that come from buying new vans (n)

I'll do you a good price if we do decide to get rid :D.......

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +5,391

I laughed at that one, you cant take the door insulation out Andrew now that it took 4 hours as that wont make any difference or get you any money back.

11. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +4,838
    A64FE659-BD80-481C-A9B0-D0FB9A7EE529.jpeg [QUOTE="Blue Knight, post: 3160171, member: 49879

We are hoping to keep the van for at least 12-18 months but once sold it will be stripped of its VB Air, Galsow, CB, multi- cameras, carpets, door insulation, and then sold on.[/QUOTE]

Bloody hell Andrew there won’t be much left to sell on.;)

John.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like it Like it x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  12. Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,294
    Andrew
    I thought I was bad......when the Adria comes in March...I will let you know when its going:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +3,510
    It's brave souls (some may choose other words) like you and I that keep the secondhand market buoyant with nearly new stock :D

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +5,391
    So it's going to be cold next week from Thursday Andrew, are you planning a couple of nights to test your work out?

15. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,295
    • Funny Funny x 3
  16. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +3,510
    Heck, no way Paul, I'm not going out of its cold mate. I might camp out on the driveway - will that do :D

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +3,510
    :D......(y)

You'll be pleased to know that no further cavities have been stuffed in the making of this van.:D

I'll keep the three doors as they are for now but other than that I'm only going to add a few bits of reflective thermal covering to some vulnerable bits (i.e. behind the fridge, kitchen sink, wheel arch cavities and a few little things here and there etc).

One of the best insulating mods too date was the upper windscreen mod which has sealed that area incredibly well.

Otherwise, the ventilation properties of the skin of the vehicle will remain as they were produced from Globecar.

I need to add a Fiamma wind deflector to the roof and I'll get that ordered this week.

That's it for now :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Like it Like it x 2
  18. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +5,391
    I think you have done an excellent job Andrew with the insulation, just the sort of thing I would do.

So you have done the rear doors, sliding doors, have you done the cab doors too?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +3,510
    Cheers Paul (y)

I may take the cab door internals off just to see what's behind them but all I'm expecting is the standard electric winding mechanism with a few bits of 20mm black foam behind.

I have some spare foam which I took out of the back doors that I could add/use but the cab doors are a bit more prone to damp areas so I need to keep the air free flowing TBH.

On a different subject I am still undecided if I should invest in a pair of LFD90's or a pair of Yuasa L36-EFBs.

I've seen a great post on the MMM Forum yesterday where a guy has fitted 3 x L36 EFBs with 120W of solar and can subsequently live off grid for ages.

After reading Mel's thread on power issues I'm also thinking about adding a portable 120w solar panel via the second port on my CBE Reg. Here's a link to said item and I would appreciate your thoughts on it please (I may start a seperate thread on portable solar units):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete...470461555?epid=2172878768&hash=item1cbf69ba73

20. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +5,391
    Do you have any solar on the roof Andrew at the minute?