Globecar Modifications (1 Viewer)

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Hi David I have the Blaupunkt New York 830/835 fitted in my van it uses the double din opening on the dash.

John.

Similarly my van has a double din radio unit added, which has the option of an external video feed from a reversing camera. I'd like to add a hard-wired combined brake light camera but sadly it doesn't look like there is any pre wiring. I'm not sure how feasible it will be to install cabling from front to back past all of the furniture.

Paul

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I fitted a monitor over a rear-view mirror (you can buy them of Ebay if you haven't got one which is what we did), I put details of it on my website here along with other odds and sods:

https://globecarcampscoutinfo.yolasite.com/

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Similarly my van has a double din radio unit added, which has the option of an external video feed from a reversing camera. I'd like to add a hard-wired combined brake light camera but sadly it doesn't look like there is any pre wiring. I'm not sure how feasible it will be to install cabling from front to back past all of the furniture.

Paul
Hi Paul i added a brake light reverse camera and ran my cable round the back door rubber down behind plastic bumper and then followed the protected cabling under the van to the front on the nearside. Brought it up inside the van through the battery box on the passenger side then up under the dash to the head unit. Took my 12v feed from the reverse wire at the rear lights. Only comes on when i select reverse as it was all i wanted.
Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
I'm totally inexperienced!
Thanks all for your solutions to my reversing camera query. I think I'll most likely go the following route...
  1. Camera: Upper brake light single reversing camera integrated model as is commonly available. This allied to….
  2. Monitor/Stereo: A Kenwood DMX7017DABS twin DIN monitor/stereo unit which I have seen and can live with.
The SatNav options don’t worry me so much. I have a Gamin unit if I need one which I mostly don’t. I like the neatness up front of such a combination. I am attracted to the idea of a second camera which acts as a rear view mirror as some have done. Maybe I'll end up adding that at some future stage.

Decisions, decisions! :confused::)
Have a wonderful weekend all
Best
D

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Hi Paul i added a brake light reverse camera and ran my cable round the back door rubber down behind plastic bumper and then followed the protected cabling under the van to the front on the nearside. Brought it up inside the van through the battery box on the passenger side then up under the dash to the head unit. Took my 12v feed from the reverse wire at the rear lights. Only comes on when i select reverse as it was all i wanted.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that as an option. It would be nice to run the cable internally but that looks like it would be quite a challenge.

Paul

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp

Paul
Thanks Paul
I notice @kennygray 's very useful thoughts on routing the wiring. Like you, I may investigate that option.
Thank you both (y)

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
The one thing I have noticed is that the clipboard holder when flipped up, does cover the top of the double din display.

Paul
like this (sorry a bit under-lit at the bottom - not my photo)...
dash.jpg

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
like this (sorry a bit under-lit at the bottom - not my photo)... View attachment 287266

Exactly - I'm not near the van at the moment so can't take a pic until later in the week. But it obscures the top of the double din unit slightly which makes it a bit fiddly to access the volume buttons on my head unit as they are at the top.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Thanks, I'll take a look at that as an option. It would be nice to run the cable internally but that looks like it would be quite a challenge.

Paul
Yeah Paul i looked at trying to route internally but thought it woud be too much of an issue. The connection to the brake light i brought it inside the van through the hole below the brake light had to widen slightly but painted with a bit of hammerite and added a rubber gromet to stop rubbing. Took the 12v power to the right for power to the reverse bulb wire, camera wires to the left as you look tucked into door rubber. Down to the bottom out behind plastic bumper, removed torx bolt to allow wire to pass down. I then routed wire at the back through some holes in the chassis and cable tied or used existing fixings that were holding wires under the van.
I then took the wires up through the breather tube hole in the battery box and out up behind the dash to the head unit. You can see a small part of the wire coming out of the box but i have a mat that covers both sides in the front so the wires cant be seen.
My document holder doesnt flip up on the dash so i removed it to allow me access above head unit for connecting. If you have the same remove head unit and you will see two torx screws remove these and clip board can be removed to give you more access.
Hope this helps.
Kenny.
20190303_141922.jpg
20190303_141932.jpg
20190303_142004.jpg
20190303_142028.jpg
20190303_142300.jpg
20190303_142359.jpg
20190303_142522.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Yeah Paul i looked at trying to route internally but thought it woud be too much of an issue. The connection to the brake light i brought it inside the van through the hole below the brake light had to widen slightly but painted with a bit of hammerite and added a rubber gromet to stop rubbing. Took the 12v power to the right for power to the reverse bulb wire, camera wires to the left as you look tucked into door rubber. Down to the bottom out behind plastic bumper, removed torx bolt to allow wire to pass down. I then routed wire at the back through some holes in the chassis and cable tied or used existing fixings that were holding wires under the van.
I then took the wires up through the breather tube hole in the battery box and out up behind the dash to the head unit. You can see a small part of the wire coming out of the box but i have a mat that covers both sides in the front so the wires cant be seen.
My document holder doesnt flip up on the dash so i removed it to allow me access above head unit for connecting. If you have the same remove head unit and you will see two torx screws remove these and clip board can be removed to give you more access.
Hope this helps.
Kenny.
View attachment 287329 View attachment 287330 View attachment 287331 View attachment 287332 View attachment 287333 View attachment 287334 View attachment 287335

Thanks for the photos, that's really useful. Whereabouts have you mounted the camera?

I do use the flip up document holder at the moment but have a double din radio fitted which has a camera input so hopefully will use that. I might use a 2 camera system to give a rear view when driving, but not sure how useful that would be. I'm use to driving similar size vans with no rear view mirror anyway.

Paul

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Hi Paul i have the high level brake light camera, im not bothered about the rear veiw when driving like you used to driving larger vehicles. I imagine if you want the one camera as a rear veiw and reverse you could wire it up to a switched live so when the ignition is on you would have power to the camera and could switch on your head unit to camera veiw.
Kenny

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Paul i have the high level brake light camera. I imagine if you want the one camera as a rear veiw and reverse you could wire it up to a switched live so when the ignition is on you would have power to the camera and could switch on your head unit to camera veiw.
Kenny

That’s the way that I wired my camera so that I switch it on when needed.

John.

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
Hope this helps.
Kenny.
View attachment 287329 View attachment 287330 View attachment 287331 View attachment 287332 View attachment 287333 View attachment 287334 View attachment 287335

Good morning Sir
Your post (as per usual in my observation), is fantastically helpful to share. Your illustrations are brilliant too. Thank you very much. What are your thoughts with regard to stone damage, winter road salt road corrosion etc. Have you shielded or coated the wiring in some way?
Thanks again and wishing you a great week ahead.
Best
David

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Good morning Sir
Your post (as per usual in my observation), is fantastically helpful to share. Your illustrations are brilliant too. Thank you very much. What are your thoughts with regard to stone damage, winter road salt road corrosion etc. Have you shielded or coated the wiring in some way?
Best
David
You do know the van comes with a reverse camera wiring pre-installed - from behind the high level rear brake light to the passenger side footwell under the dash?

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
You do know the van comes with a reverse camera wiring pre-installed - from behind the high level rear brake light to the passenger side footwell under the dash?

Hi Gerry
Thanks for that encouraging thought (and it is what I believe too), however the dealer is claiming different and I have yet to be able to visually check.
Therefore, as a precaution, I'm very interested in @kennygray 's inventiveness, but my question with regard to stone damage and salt damage protection remains.
All that being said, I hope you're right as all that could be avoided! :) ...a happy thought indeed.
Best
David

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Hi Gerry
Thanks for that encouraging thought (and it is what I believe too), however the dealer is claiming different and I have yet to be able to visually check.
Therefore, as a precaution, I'm very interested in @kennygray 's inventiveness, but my question with regard to stone damage and salt damage protection remains.
All that being said, I hope you're right as all that could be avoided! :) ...a happy thought indeed.
Best
David
I'd suggest the dealer probably doesn't know - but I'm pretty certain it is standard wiring from the fiat factory. it was pre-installed I'm my van (Sept. 17 fiat build) and I think everyone who has looked at for iy has found it. It is probably cheaper for fiat to install it on all models rather than add to a base model build spec.

if you take off the high level brake light it is there and there should be a coil of wire in the passenger footwell - lying behind a bit of trim. 2 min looking and you will find it

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
To move away from cameras for a moment... I didn't think about the gas regulator when I bought the van (newby error) and so was just supplied with a simple cylinder top regulator with a hose connector into the van system. After my pre Christmas 5am cylinder changeover debacle :rolleyes: I decided to make a change.
I have stuck with calor cylinders for now due to availability of lpg filling stations up here. I may get a Safefill cylinder later.
Anyway, I installed and commissioned a Truma DuoControl CS with rupture protection hoses yesterday. I'll have the setup checked at my 1yr hab check (included with my purchase) but a quick leak check and my nose test indicated it is okay.
20190303_125742.jpg

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
I'd suggest the dealer probably doesn't know - but I'm pretty certain it is standard wiring from the fiat factory. it was pre-installed I'm my van (Sept. 17 fiat build) and I think everyone who has looked at for iy has found it. It is probably cheaper for fiat to install it on all models rather than add to a base model build spec.

if you take off the high level brake light it is there and there should be a coil of wire in the passenger footwell - lying behind a bit of trim. 2 min looking and you will find it

Thanks Gerry
Yet to see the van but I know what I'll spend the first 120 seconds doing :)
Really helpful; thank you
D

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout

I had seen other posts suggesting that the cabling might already be installed but couldn't see any when I took the high level brake light off. (2016 Campscout). I'm going to take a look at the cab end before I start putting a new cable in though.

Paul

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016

Hi Gerry did hear about the wires before i did the wiring but looked around the dash and behind the brake light and there wasnt any wires there. Would have been a bit easier if there was..
Kenny

Good morning Sir
Best
David
Thanks David never thought about stone damage may look into getting something like what the other wires are protected with at the moment.
Kenny

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks David never thought about stone damage may look into getting something like what the other wires are protected with at the moment.
Kenny

Kenny, buy some black convoluted tube and apply accordingly. It will help protect the contents from any crap.

All the best,

Andrew

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
My small strip light above the cooker has stopped working, does anyone know where to purchase these online.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back