Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
is that true... ?

Yes, they are heavily dependent on coal... but things are changing..

"Due to increasing concerns about air quality, climate change and fossil fuel shortages, nuclear power has been looked into as an alternative to coal power in China"

Mainland China has 17 nuclear power reactors in operation, 28 under construction, and more about to start construction.
Additional reactors are planned, including some of the world's most advanced, to give a five- or six-fold increase in nuclear capacity to at least 58 GWe by 2020, then possibly 200 GWe by 2030, and 400 GWe by 2050.
China has become largely self-sufficient in reactor design and construction, as well as other aspects of the fuel cycle.

Link Removed

They are indeed increasing their Nuclear portfolio but they are still knocking out new coal fired stations at a greater rate.

According to the IEA Clean Coal Centre, there are over 2300 coal-fired power stations worldwide. Approximately 620 of these power stations are in China.

Power outages and rationing have been imposed in 17 Chinese provinces this year, and shortages could worsen if coal supplies are not increased or if the country's North sees particularly harsh winter weather.

Coal-fired power plants provide close to 80% of China’s electricity today at generally lower prices than other fuel sources. But China also has the largest coal subsidies globally and spends over US$ 2 billion a year to this end. The energy subsidies used to maintain this low cost also encourage more and less efficient fossil fuel use, and result in increasing challenges from CO2 emissions.

Coal plants are the most polluting of all power stations and the World Resources Institute (WRI) identified 1,200 coal plants in planning across 59 countries, with about three-quarters in China and India. The capacity of the new plants add up to 1,400GW to global greenhouse gas emissions, the equivalent of adding another China – the world's biggest emitter. India is planning 455 new plants compared to 363 in China, which is seeing a slowdown in its coal investments after a vast building programme in the past decade.

China's Shenhua Group will build the largest coal-fired power station in Asia over the next five years, the official Xinhua news agency said this week, as the country struggles to meet its energy needs.

It really goes to show our over priced, uneconomic and pathetic windmills are literally just Pi*ss*ng into the wind.....:Doh:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I see the wholesale price of GAS hit an all time high today. It cost to be so called GREEN.We are sat on millions of tons of cheap coal.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
This reminds me of the other big con, the millenium bug! Remember that load of tosh? People were panicking so much they cleaned out supermarkets, and even built shelters. Planes were going to fall from the sky, even our prison was so brainwashed they asked for volunteers to come in over that period, I did a spate of nights because they were paying 5 times the standard rate :thumb:. So 2 nights before the event, new years eve 1999, and 2 nights following, to help correct everything that was supposed to go wrong...........And...........

Not a dickie bird :Blush:. Not a squeak :roflmto: . Nothing :ROFLMAO:. What a load of crap! What a nice earner :thumb:!

On behalf of my fellow software engineers, I apologise for the fact that such a good job was done fixing the Y2K problem. If we'd known that you wanted some excitement, we would have skipped a few tests and let a few 747s fall out of the sky and nuclear power stations explode :Doh:

Do a bad job, and people complain. Do a good job, and people complain :RollEyes:

PS. I do have an old Sony VHS recorder in the attic that could no longer do a timed recording after Jan 1st 2000. So not everything was fixed. Sorry I couldn't find anything more dramatic :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
I have to use water based (green)paint now for my buisness.
It is x2 more expensive than older ,solvent paint.

It takes x4 times more power to dry it than solvent paint.
SO, costs more to produce and costs x4 more in electricity and oil to cure it.

I now have a size 9 carbon footprint not a 5 :Eeek: = eco progress :ROFLMAO:

Most of the EU and USA still use the older type of paints= not fair :cry:

I'm still using 2k,I don't do as much work as I used to,Work from home do I now(semi retired),So the little bit I chuck out the extractor is ,,well I don't know really!!,this thread is getting a bit technical for me anyway.
I.m gone

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
[HI][/HI]
On behalf of my fellow software engineers, I apologise for the fact that such a good job was done fixing the Y2K problem. If we'd known that you wanted some excitement, we would have skipped a few tests and let a few 747s fall out of the sky and nuclear power stations explode :Doh:

Do a bad job, and people complain. Do a good job, and people complain :RollEyes:

PS. I do have an old Sony VHS recorder in the attic that could no longer do a timed recording after Jan 1st 2000. So not everything was fixed. Sorry I couldn't find anything more dramatic :Smile:

:ROFLMAO: Do me a favour!

Craig

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

I was also involved in the work and planning around the incorrectly named millenium bug (which wasn't a bug and was concerned with the change to the year 2000, the new millenium didn't start till 1st Jan 2001)
We did a lot of work on testing and replacing systems so they didn't fail. Some that we hadn't got round to did go down, but were not critical. It's very true that if you do too good a job nobody notices that there's even a problem.:Angry:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I was also involved in the work and planning around the incorrectly named millenium bug (which wasn't a bug and was concerned with the change to the year 2000, the new millenium didn't start till 1st Jan 2001)
We did a lot of work on testing and replacing systems so they didn't fail. Some that we hadn't got round to did go down, but were not critical. It's very true that if you do too good a job nobody notices that there's even a problem.:Angry:

And as for planes 'falling out of the sky'? :ROFLMAO:

Craig

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
My personal opinion is we are being conned it is just another ploy to tax us even more.
It is funny since this recession started how the reporting of global warming has gone quiet were before it was always in the news.
They know the average man does not understand the science of global warming and in time they will convince them that it is true.

"One of the most important issues in global climate change studies is to reveal the priority of anthropogenic or natural factors’ influences. In recent years, more and more scientists feel inclined to conclude that natural processes are the primary cause of global climate change"

If you want to read the full story here is the link but it is long

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
I see the wholesale price of GAS hit an all time high today. It cost to be so called GREEN.We are sat on millions of tons of cheap coal.

Saw in the paper today that the UK might to run out of gas within the next 48 hours and rationing could be introduced. So glad Im fulltiming with my calor gas :ROFLMAO:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Why is it when there is snow about , we not hear speeches of global warming on the TV and radio at the moment.

Was it all a big ploy to get us to pay (green) prices for items.:cry:

Or, when when we get our x1 sunny day a year, around August ,that`s when they tell us, how we are going to burn up unless we pay a super green tax::bigsmile:

Please note this comment has nothing to do with whether any climate changes are man made or not.

Global warming just means that the average temperature of the Earth is increasing.

This DOES NOT MEAN that everywhere will get warmer. What it does mean is that the weather is getting more disturbed so that some areas are getting much hotter, other areas much cold, wetter, drier, windier etc.

The UK then is level with the northern end of the St Lawrence seaway in Canada and that is locked in ice all winter. We do not suffer this fate because the hot currents coming across the Atlantic keep us warm. If this current moves further north we will get warmer, if it moves south or disappears then we we will be as cold as the St Lawrence seaway.

These climate changes take place all the time. Sometimes they speed up, sometimes they slow down. They are usually cyclic over many hundreds, thousands or millions of years.These changes are usually natural but may be (are?) affected by the way man pollutes the atmosphere.

We cannot be sure what is causing the change but the planet is warming up. This is a fact born out by scientific measurement and by the fact that there is a migration of fish, birds and other animals away from the equator.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
"Global Warming" Is something that happens NATURALLY!

It's been happening since time immorial! AND TODAY! IS USED TO EXTRACT EXTRA TAXES

Get Real! It's one big con trick!!

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
It's here'it's real!!!!!!!

It's apparently true,I have just heard that global warming is a proven fact. so cast away all your doubt's and listen up you non-believers, it is a fact.
THEY HAVE SWITCHED IT OFF TO SAVE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PS.I have just received information from the same source that it is due to be switched on again next week,so lets see what happens. If I am right it will be another winner for THE DRIVER.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok...
Will the doom sayers please explain who caused the global warming in the past ?

Where I am sitting, in rather chilly Norfolk, there has been at least two rain forests.

The world goes through cycles.. it is hardly a secret !

There have been ice ages, and times when the average temperature of the earth was more than 4C warmer ( which is a LOT ) .. We are, by all accounts, currently approaching another ice age ( albeit somewhat smaller than the well known ones of 20k years during the Pleistocene age and going back over 2 billion years to the Proterozoic age ) ..

So who caused the earth to warm up sufficiently to melt all the glaciers..

Doctor Who perhaps ?

Yes, of course human activity is having an effect on the global climate.. but truth is, the changes would still be happening if we were here or not.. As said elsewhere, it is an inconvenient truth, and one oft shuffled sideways by certain scientists who have a nice hobby horse to feed !

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Please note this comment has nothing to do with whether any [HI]climate changes[/HI] are man made or not.

Global warming just means that the average temperature of the Earth is increasing.

This DOES NOT MEAN that everywhere will get warmer. What it does mean is that the weather is getting more disturbed so that some areas are getting much hotter, other areas much cold, wetter, drier, windier etc.

The UK then is level with the northern end of the St Lawrence seaway in Canada and that is locked in ice all winter. We do not suffer this fate because the hot currents coming across the Atlantic keep us warm. If this current moves further north we will get warmer, if it moves south or disappears then we we will be as cold as the St Lawrence seaway.

These [HI]climate changes[/HI] take place all the time. Sometimes they speed up, sometimes they slow down. They are usually cyclic over many hundreds, thousands or millions of years.[HI]These changes are usually natural but may be (are?) affected by the way man pollutes the atmosphere.
[/HI]
We cannot be sure what is causing the change but the planet is warming up. This is a fact born out by scientific measurement and by the fact that there is a migration of fish, birds and other animals away from the equator.

There is a case for climate change rather than global warming
whatever happens we have to live with it.
Sadly its our children who will feel the fuller effects of it all.:Angry:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
There is a case for climate change rather than global warming
whatever happens we have to live with it.
Sadly its our children who will feel the fuller effects of it all.:Angry:

Yes, but they will have adapted (evolved ?) by then. They are all walking about in t-shirts even in the current cold spell so by the time of the next ice age they will cope well.:ROFLMAO:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
It's apparently true,I have just heard that global warming is a proven fact. so cast away all your doubt's and listen up you non-believers, it is a fact.
THEY HAVE SWITCHED IT OFF TO SAVE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PS.I have just received information from the same source that it is due to be switched on again next week,so lets see what happens. If I am right it will be another winner for THE DRIVER.

I don't undersdtand this!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back