Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Same as people who buy houses in the country and then complain about the smell
And by a house next to the church and complain about the church bells!

And buy a house next to a pub and complain about the noise at closing time!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
One of my customers that i visit several times a year has a very active glider runway right next to it. I remember being in a meeting once and keep hearing this wooshing noise every few minutes, turns out it was the cable system launching the gliders. They have a viewing point there and i now often go there for lunch after a meeting there, it's always super busy and there's often a big queue of gliders getting ready for take off and many in the sky.

The whoosing sound is the cable falling back to the ground after the glider release.

OP
OP
carlmt
Aug 11, 2019
Not where I would rather be....
Funster No
MH
AT Cheyenne 696G SE
Exp
since 1973
The whoosing sound is the cable falling back to the ground after the glider release.

It is more related to the actual launch - the cable is pulled through the air at circa 65 knots (75mph) and has a small parachute attached. It can rather whistle and rustle! When falling back to the ground, the parachute actually slows the drop and so it almost unheard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
First glider flight was at Woodford in a Slingsby open cockpit, side by side, winch launch just after I joined the Police. It took 40 years for me to start my PPL at Sherburn-in-Elmet and then had shares in a Citabria a 2 seater mildly aerobatic, and a Cirrus SR22 which was the ’Dogs gonads’ with full glass cockpit, leather interior and 4 drinks holders ! They were the dealer maker for my wife oh and the ballistic parachute. Did many £150 bacon buttie flights and a couple of trips to southern France before I reported my director to his fellow directors for fraud, and the job went tits up for a while and I lapsed my licence after 175 hours, I dont think I would have the bottle to go through the reticence process now.I was very lucky to fly backseat in a Tornado from Leeming once that makes you Think about your sanity

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Glad we have the van!!! It is ideal for supporting my gliding trips - or at least it will be once I get a tow-bar fitted to tow the trailer by!

Had so many plans this year of venturing across to Germany, Austria and the South of France to sample the vintage gliding scene but we all know what put paid to that idea. No matter, it has given me a chance to work on my bird and get her up to scratch for the forthcoming seasons.

Anyroad - the glider is a Schleicher Ka6CR built in 1955 entirely of wood and fabric. First photo is from when I first bought her last year and the second was from a few weeks ago when fettling her in the workshop.

Any others here who combine motorhoming with gliding?
View attachment 423753View attachment 423754
Hi there...love the glider. Is it a single seat set up or duo? Love the paint job too

Carolyn

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
I trained mainly in K4 and K13s, and after soloing then in a single seater Slingsby Swallow at the forces Eagle Gliding club in Detmold Germany, and later flew a few other types at the RAFGSA Bicester, where I was lucky once to do the hanger flight in a Blanik with the then CFI Andy Gough in the back seat demonstrating aerobatics. sadly Andy was killed in 82 while doing a show at Brize Norton.
A few years later I converted to power doing my PPL while working out in Abu Dhabi that was in a PA28, unfortunately I couldn't maintain my hours when I was transferred to Oman where private flying was banned and after that came a mortgage and family.
I do occasionally catch myself thinking about doing a PPL again you never know one day I might shove off to somewhere sunny for a few months and go for it after doing the medical.
Cheers
Ed
same here got married and a mortgage never had any spare cash, but she did get me a flight in a tiger moth for my 60th, a few years on I want a session in the Vulcan simulator!

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years

I have the t-shirt;

IMG_20200913_121247.jpg

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
My wife remembers watching a glider from London Gliding Club based in Dunstable Downs cruising around, only to be struck by lightning and disintegrating .... pilot managed to open a parachute and survived ....
She bought me a trial flight for my birthday soon after .....🤷‍♂️

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Twice been in a glider with a propeller at the front. It wasn’t going round at the time :). Neither field was damaged...

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Twice been in a glider with a propeller at the front. It wasn’t going round at the time :). Neither field was damaged...

I prefer engines that go round instead of up and down. And propellors(fans) that are in cowlings.

Last time I did a TR Exam(in a Cessna 152) we had to do a practice engine failure of course but only to 100ft. The form said 'Spin, if appropriate'.The TRE, was a DC10 pilot and had never been in a Cessna 152 but was qualified as TRE for Cessna 150 - 210, said 'Do you want to do a spin?' I said no, and he said nor do I, so that was that covered. He knew I was only renewing my licence for airline ops anyway.

I am glad I left all that silly single-engine nonsense behind me, coward that I am.

Geoff

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I prefer engines that go round instead of up and down. And propellors(fans) that are in cowlings.

Last time I did a TR Exam(in a Cessna 152) we had to do a practice engine failure of course but only to 100ft. The form said 'Spin, if appropriate'.The TRE, was a DC10 pilot and had never been in a Cessna 152 but was qualified as TRE for Cessna 150 - 210, said 'Do you want to do a spin?' I said no, and he said nor do I, so that was that covered. He knew I was only renewing my licence for airline ops anyway.

I am glad I left all that silly single-engine nonsense behind me, coward that I am.

Geoff
I quite like spinning and a few aeros. My wife bought me a flight in a jet provost for my 40th now a long time ago thats what I asked the pilot for when he said what do you want to do. It was also really easy to handle.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
These were definitely going round engines - that had failed (both seized).
I think he means he prefers engines that go around in the inside (turbines). You are indeed unlucky if you have had 2 turbine engines fail but equally lucky to walk away just remind me never to get on a plane with you!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
she did get me a flight in a tiger moth
I took what the pilot, a bloke with a handlebar moustache as big as the propellor, laughingly called a 'pleasure flight' in a Tiger Moth out of Brisbane Airport and out over the Atherton table lands.
Had a skin full of beer the night before but opted for the aerobatics....
Stupid move.... After the second loop I'd had enough and there would have been quite a few 'un-natural' manoeuvres but chickened out.
Landing into a crosswind, looking over my shoulder at the runway, was scary enough.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I think he means he prefers engines that go around in the inside (turbines). You are indeed unlucky if you have had 2 turbine engines fail but equally lucky to walk away just remind me never to get on a plane with you!
My misunderstanding. Not turbine failures. Not up/down either. Side-to-side!

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Glider pilots do it silently :p
I understood Glider pilots do it in thermals.

Husband Derek used to go gliding at Ringmer Gliding Club before we moved to Norfolk. He went solo on Father's Day and stayed up 28 minutes. Ground crew were concerned - wondered where he got to.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We were both glider pilots Liz did the best flight in ours 300km cross country in about 6 hrs over France 3m pregnant in a K6cr.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I’m not a pilot and wouldn’t think about going up on a kite wing (paraglider) 😊

I did one of those flying experience in a single prop four seater with its own parachute 👍

Flew out of Staverton down to Bristol over the bridge and turned back.
Landing run was coming over GCHQ which was a bit weird to me.

One plane I will definitely going up in when allowed and that’s a Spitfire 👍😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back