Glencoe skiing

Discussion in 'General Skiing Chat' started by Red Dragon, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Ratings:
    +2,349
    Taking a run up to Glencoe for some skiing hopefully :) if there is some snow,we shall be there on the
    4th Feb till the 9th so if you fancy some free ski lessons(ex ski instructor) come on up(y):cool:

• Like it Like it x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  2. lorger

lorger Funster

Ratings:
    +15,382
    We have tried skiing 3 times now and although I'm no good at it I do really enjoy it, I took our daughter Sophie the first time and we booked the 2 hour lesson with ski and lift pass for the remainder of the day. At first we couldn't stand up by the end of the day we came down the longer green slope, I know it's nothing much but we loved it. Went the second day and managed all day without falling, we then went the following year with other funsters and had a great laugh although Lorraine didn't take to it. I then tried Glenshee with Sophie and didn't quite enjoy it as much as Glencoe as we thought the so called easy slope was harder, I think going once a year doesn't help.
    I will check my shift card and if off might take you up on your offer, Sophie is currently studying in Flagstaff Arizona and they have a big ski area there called the ski bowl, they make artificial snow when the real stuff isn't there and she's hoping of updating her skills.

We also went for Snowboard lessons at the indoor slope in Glasgow, I didn't enjoy it as much as skiing, main reason being I couldn't reach my feet to fit the board :)

3. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Ratings:
    +2,349
    @lorger That would be great if you make it:cool:(y)

4. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +4,299
    @lorger maybe try Freeheel gives you more flexibility on the snow in UK JMHO

5. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +7,416
    Are you staying in your motorhome on site rd?

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Ratings:
    +2,349
    @olley Yes we are going up in the Moho and have booked onto EHU not been to Glencoe before but have done Aviemore,Glenshee and the Lecht so a new one for us.

7. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +7,416
    Interested rd, been on the dry ski slope and had a week in both Les 2 and Tignes last year, but spent time drinking rather than skiing, (I blame the company I was with) so little more than a beginner.
    Had a look and they do have a hook up for the week, be on my own, wife not interested.

I will have a think this afternoon. 500 miles from Ipswich. Let you know.

8. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Ratings:
    +2,349
    @olley 500miles:LOL: we have a sea to cross:( but its part of the fun:ROFLMAO: hope you make it(y)

9. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +7,416
    Can only book 5 nights on leccy, so will just run the genny for the other couple. All booked see you Sunday the 4th.

10. lorger

lorger Funster

Ratings:
    +15,382
    Just checked my shift card and I'm off until the Friday that week, Lorraine will be working so I'll give it some thought over the next day or two and let you know.

They have about 10 hook-up pitches and some pods sitting behind them, they also don't mind you parking in the car park if using the lifts. They have also installed showers although I've never used them, the cafe/bar at base is nice at night after a days skiing and has a lovely log fire, they also have a cafe at the first level close to most of the lifts and it does excellent hot soup just remember to take cash as last time we were there they did't take cards up there.

If any kids are going they give out free sledges if you buy a lift pass, great fun for all the family.

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Ratings:
    +2,349
    @olley thats great see you there,we hope to arrive about 3:30pm Sunday.

12. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Ratings:
    +2,349
    @lorger Hope you make it we could have a nice little group(y)
    :cool:

13. Chris Laing

Chris Laing Funster

Ratings:
    +209
    I was up there yesterday there is plenty of snow at the moment and more forecast. Got really wild late afternoon.

There was about 6 motorhomes there and a couple staying over in the hook ups. We parked up on Friday night at Ben More Lodge just 30 minutes away. Great wee Scottish pub with open fire, Good beer, food and banter. Really dog friendly as well.

I was planning to go back for another day of practice before I head to the Alpe D'Huez on the 24th Feb. I just learnt to ski last year so it took a bit of getting used to yesterday putting the skis on again. I could have done with a bit of instruction.

• Like it Like it x 2
  14. rob0114

rob0114 Funster

Ratings:
    +146
    There the weekend before unfortunately so will miss this generous offer!

Never been skiing in Scotland before-looking forward to trying it out!

15. Chris Laing

Chris Laing Funster

Ratings:
    +209
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. rob0114

rob0114 Funster

Ratings:
    +146
    Watching closely for go/No go Wednesday -plan B is the lakes!

17. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +7,416
    Got 2 weeks before I go, won't arrive till the late afternoon when people will be leaving so should be fine.

18. rob0114

rob0114 Funster

Ratings:
    +146
    Looks like a chaotic day according to their twitter/facebook feed at Glencoe today! Hope they clear it before Thursday!

19. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +7,416
    No skiing today and not looking good Tuesday and Wednesday, very windy.

20. lorger

lorger Funster

Ratings:
    +15,382
    Not sure if I'll make it up next week as I'm full of the Flu, Lorraine's been off with it for over 2 weeks now and I've had it for 10 days but does seem to be clearing. I will update you closer to the time.