Glencaple Quay (Aire) again (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
go on ,i have got to rise to this one, gjh says parking a motorhome is camping, cant have it both ways

times past when people referred to 'camping' it was generally understood to mean in a tent.. ie under canvas.. my dad took us 'camping' in a tent

when you were rich, and used a caravan.. it was caravanning .. hence the Caravanning and Camping Club.. The Caravan Club excluded tents and still does (except a small pup tent used beside a caravan )

IMV living in a camper van is not proper camping.. but that is how it is now defined in law and by most people.. hence having the Scottish Outdoor Code explain what they mean by camping in a tent

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
go on ,i have got to rise to this one, gjh says parking a motorhome is camping, cant have it both ways
I'm becoming heartily sick of these constant digs.
How much simple explanation does it take to make it clear that the Scottish Outdoor Access Code allows wild camping in tents but not vehicles (which includes motorhomes)?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm becoming heartily sick of these constant digs.
How much simple explanation does it take to make it clear that the Scottish Outdoor Access Code allows wild camping in tents but not vehicles (which includes motorhomes)?
I am trying very hard not to dig, as you will see I purpesly did not link to you when replying to another post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Freetimer

Free Member
Jul 27, 2018
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I am happy to park at the end of the car park. This is a great little Aire. The staff in the shop and pub are friendly and we always make a point of telling them that we are staying in our motorhome.
It is great watching the birds flying along the river in the early morning and evenings. My only wish is that the Nith Arms had real ale, but the food makes up for it.

Empyrean

Free Member
Jan 7, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2012
There’s a very nice stop just before the castle about 3 miles from the said car park. It has emptying facilities, water etc and an honesty box for a donation. I didn’t want to leave a donation (box could get robbed) so I did it online.
It was quiet but far away from any restaurants, pubs etc which I liked but may not suit others

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Wild camping
Camping wild in the forest can be fun if you're hardy. Please choose a campsite that’s well away from buildings, roads and our recreation facilities and do your best to leave no trace of your stay. This type of camping is lightweight and done in small numbers, for only two or three nights in a place. Overnight parking of cars and campervans is not permitted.

This isn't the whole story though, as you can see nicely summarised if you look at the Trossachs National Park guidelines on camping...

"People with campervans and motorhomes can still use laybys to stop and rest (including sleeping overnight if necessary)"

See Q11 here...

https://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/camping/campingbyelaws/camping-motorhome-qas/#11

And that's from a Park Authority trying it's best to shepard everyone... Including those in tents... Into a small number of Permit Areas. The reason they still feel obliged to say this is because it's been pointed out to them that they can't stop people doing it!

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Hello again - we've had had a wee "wild camp" in Peebles car park - on there on our tod as far as I could see. They do have a proper car park and rules and dont seem to mind wildcamping.

I'm a local and there are lots of large (empty at night) car parks in and around Peebles... And, although I'm biased, I think it's a lovely town to visit. It's slightly off the usual routes North but if you fancy a change from the usual A1 east coast route north try coming off at Newcastle and following the A68/A72 instead. You'll see some lovely borders countryside and the road isn't bad either.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This isn't the whole story though,

my post wasn't about camper vans parking in lay-bys ..:rolleyes:

nothing to to with shepherding.. regulations and permits have been introduced to try and stop the abuse of the countryside by all types of campers.. tents and vehicles; cutting trees down for firewood, litter, anti-social behaviour. etc...

visit any lay-by and see the mess left behind,.. human waste, litter, nappies, condoms, bottles and cans, all sorts of junk .. no wonder the authorities try to stop it

Reactions: GJH

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
visit any lay-by and see the mess left behind,.. human waste, litter, nappies, condoms, bottles and cans, all sorts of junk .. no wonder the authorities try to stop it

Virtually no laybys are in that state... I don't find it useful to extrapolate from the exception.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Virtually no laybys are in that state... I don't find it useful to extrapolate from the exception.

sorry to extrapolate, and in my experience not an exception.. the ones on the A roads around here are filthy.. stinking of urine and litter everywhere.. but maybe they are cleaner in the Borders ..:unsure:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The reason they still feel obliged to say this is because it's been pointed out to them that they can't stop people doing it!
The reason they don't (rather than can't) stop people doing it is because lay-byes are part of the highway, thus coming under highways legislation not under national park byelaws.
The wild camping guidelines also recognise this - a camp site "well away from........roads......" can't include lay-byes can it? :)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
The wild camping guidelines also recognise this - a camp site "well away from........roads......" can't include lay-byes can it? :)

If it's well away from a (public) road, can you get to it in a MH? If it's next to a (public) road you can park in it and sleep overnight. As noted, nothing to do with the right to roam legislation.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If it's well away from a (public) road, can you get to it in a MH? If it's next to a (public) road you can park in it and sleep overnight. As noted, nothing to do with the right to roam legislation.
No doubt some people would say a place was "well away" enough if they thought it would give them an excuse to camp where they wanted to, no matter what legislation says.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back