Glastonbury in motorhome (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
I have just secured some Glastonbury tickets for next year. I know not everyone's bag but I went once about 10 years ago and it was a lot of fun. Hadn't planned to take the motorhome but suddenly it is very appealing. I have read that there are a couple of fields dedicated to motorhomes. East and West field? West field maybe needs a bus in each day and East one involves a big walk up a hill. Not too worried about the big walk and would prefer not to get a bus each day. Anyone got any advice, info, tips or tricks? We have 7.3m motorhome and I am confident with the solar and gas bottles we will not need any hook up for the days we are there. Maybe a top up of water. Any help much appreciated.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Arrive early, as in be in the queue for when they open the gate. (Which from memory is Thursday AM)

Have 'fencing' to mark out your pitch, otherwise you are liable to find a couple on tents pitched right outside your door, under your awning! It may mean being uncomfortably close to a neighbouring motorhome, where you can join the awnings together (leave even the smallest gap and it will fill with tents)

Be aware the hedges are where people go for a quick nightime pee, so you may want to be one van in.

Having a long walk back can be a good thing unless you don't mind bands playing at 3am, take earplugs anyway

Take everything with you, as once you are in position you will not be moving until it's all over

Download what3words app to your phone. Make sure you know where your van is!

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
The motorhome camping fields are some considerable way out of the main festival area. You'll walk miles each day as it is, just between stages and attractions so you might resent the extra at the start and finish of each day. You might also feel a bit out on a limb and not part of the festival proper. But on the other hand ..... a comfy bed ....... :giggle:

Well done with getting tickets. My daughter and 3 friends failed this morning, despite roping in us and others. I think in total we had about 15 devices all trying to access the ticket page for an hour and 20 before they all sold out.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
glad you got tickets - we didn't and us - daughter and Grandkids all devastated:heartbreak::heartbreak::heartbreak::heartbreak: [those are broken heart emojis BTW]
However we have been lucky for years and years [and still hoping for resale] The fields the monos East in are up a hill- it is a bit steep yes! we always get a van ticket for the quiet fields as they are a bit nearer the entrance gate . There are some pitches in Bath n West but far far away and we never needed to use EHU - we got for 5 days with 6 of us [big awning ] We have solar chargers for phones etc; it is light until 10 pm. We take drinking water in containers which you can fill up easily on site - also take a big water container to lug about and funnel in [as we shower too xx] There is NO gas on site make sure you have enough. The site is huge - you will need to queue to get wristbands to enter the actual festival - get there early on Tuesday - chill- wander about and look at the view before you do this. It is the best place on earth and I am trying not to cry - but wish you all the best time ever xxx

Jul 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
West has gone
It’s east if under 8m or the other camping place down the road with a free shuttle bus
You can go from Tuesday from memory in motorhome
Our batteries lasted the time we were there without solar
Water and toilet waste never that far
The hill is ok and worth it
Enjoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
The old oaks is 6 mile from Glastonbury festival and they provide a bus with 29 places for a fee. Not sure if this would suit you. But I imagine the bus places won't be around long.

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
It was a nightmare getting tickets and sorry for those that missed out that wanted them. We tried last time and failed. We had several friends trying this time and we got in so added the max of 6 tickets to our booking.

Thank you for the info so far - really helpful. We will definitely want the East field based on what everyone has said. Close enough to walk but far enough to get some sleep :sleep:

For those that have booked the East Field before, was it hard to get a booking there? When did they release them?

Brains I take it from what you are saying that pitches are not marked/allocated - thanks for the advice. Are the random tents linked to a motorhome or just campers who have gone astray?

Jul 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I set a reminder for the motorhome tickets then missed it 🙈
Don’t panic if you don’t get some as more seem to become available you just have to keep checking

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Just an heads up for those with limited mobility last time we were there (in a tent) my Wife’s Apple Watch thingy noted she’d walked 21 miles on one day!!! Getting between various stages and the family campsite ,you can add a couple of miles for the motorhome park!

Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
We work for Oxfam at Glasto and have worked both East and West campervan gates. West campervan gate is a real walk to Pyramid stage and East has got the hill which I believe can be Slippy when its wet. Have a great festival.
Here is a map from 2019 the locations have not changed much.
1667751052680.png

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
glad you got tickets - we didn't and us - daughter and Grandkids all devastated:heartbreak::heartbreak::heartbreak::heartbreak: [those are broken heart emojis BTW]
However we have been lucky for years and years [and still hoping for resale] The fields the monos East in are up a hill- it is a bit steep yes! we always get a van ticket for the quiet fields as they are a bit nearer the entrance gate . There are some pitches in Bath n West but far far away and we never needed to use EHU - we got for 5 days with 6 of us [big awning ] We have solar chargers for phones etc; it is light until 10 pm. We take drinking water in containers which you can fill up easily on site - also take a big water container to lug about and funnel in [as we shower too xx] There is NO gas on site make sure you have enough. The site is huge - you will need to queue to get wristbands to enter the actual festival - get there early on Tuesday - chill- wander about and look at the view before you do this. It is the best place on earth and I am trying not to cry - but wish you all the best time ever xxx
So sorry you missed out. Getting tickets for gigs is a nightmare, my brother and my niece spent 4 hours on Friday trying to get tickets to see Pulp for next year and YAY they got 4 tickets (only 4 tickets per household allowed) a bit on the pricey side but so worth it!!

Gina.

Last edited:

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Vintner said
For those that have booked the East Field before, was it hard to get a booking there? When did they release them?

You don't book a pitch you just need to get a camper ticket when they go on sale [and log on EXACTLY when they do - its today all over again]
Last year they were on sale at a different date to final payments- keep your eyes peeled for dates ; get a ticket for the van; pay the balance - and then turn up on the day and pitch up where directed in the east field . Plenty space between vans - as I said we have a large awning for the kids and also a pup tent for the oldest one . xx

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Brains I take it from what you are saying that pitches are not marked/allocated - thanks for the advice. Are the random tents linked to a motorhome or just campers who have gone astray?
I have only ever attended Glasto in a work capacity (Many of the years between 1982 and 2012)
Therefore I have always camped right behind the main stages with the rest of the crew

On the public fields there are no marked pitches, tents get put up in the smallest spaces, therefore I'm not joking when I say you may find tents under your awning !

When you arrive you may have acres of grass to choose a pitch, but by the time the festival starts there will barely be a square meter of space.
If people around you deem you have 'too much' space, they will encroach on it

1667752957755.png

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Went in 2013 to see the Rolling Stones. We felt very old (mid 50s then) but absolutely loved every minute of it. I think we were pitched on the east fields outside the security wall, so had to check in & out on each trip from camper to festival. Beware they will squeeze you in very closely together, forget the 6m rule (unless things have changed), but wait until you see how close together the tents are!! If you can, avoid parking up by any MH rentals. There are lots of them and quite a few groups party day & night - all part of the experience, but it’s nice to get a bit of shut eye overnight. Gas and solar should see you ok for the duration, but you’ll probably spend most of the time away from your van anyway. Don’t be tempted to take any glass. You’ll be glad you had your own shower & toilet facilities. My visit was also the year Bruce Forsyth did a gig. It’s an experience you’ll never forget. As others have said, it’s huge - for the duration of the festival it has the highest population of any place in Somerset.

Attachments

• 36EBADF8-802B-4355-867A-22B693569B35.jpeg
    36EBADF8-802B-4355-867A-22B693569B35.jpeg
    769.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 7B09D5EF-5F65-41DE-A885-482CDE605947.jpeg
    7B09D5EF-5F65-41DE-A885-482CDE605947.jpeg
    913.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 86B6F5EA-D873-4C86-8EA5-5ECF2600B3D8.jpeg
    86B6F5EA-D873-4C86-8EA5-5ECF2600B3D8.jpeg
    832.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
Bit more info here that I couldn't see earlier when I first posted. Still doesn't tell me when they start selling the motorhome pitches though so if anyone finds out dates please let me know 🙏

Jul 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Bit more info here that I couldn't see earlier when I first posted. Still doesn't tell me when they start selling the motorhome pitches though so if anyone finds out dates please let me know 🙏
They will announce it on the Glastonbury page when they will be going on sale
It was also on a Thursday afternoon the times we got them

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
You use to be able to buy motorhome parking ticket on blue route I was sent there selling one night they were about 80 pounds 6 years ago

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I went in 1986.... we drove across the fields in the car, to get as close as possible to the pyramid stage before parking up and pitching the tent 😁 ...Mind you only 60,000 people went in those days
We saw Level 42, Madness, The Cure, The Waterboys, The Pogues.... and it didn't rain during the weekend.

Never been back, dont want to tempt fate 😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back