Glasgow MOT (1 Viewer)

John Kennedy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
Hi can anyone recommend a good MOT station in Glasgow North for an MOT for my Bessacar E425....its a high top, so my local garage cant get it on their ramp and get under it to do all the checks

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Try a commercial vehicle MOT garage, we used to use our local Fiat Professional car dealer for service and MOT until we discovered they drove it around the corner to the non Fiat van service company because it didn’t fit their ramps.
We now use the Fiat Professional/Iveco truck dealer a few miles further away. Our motorhome looks small on their ramps.
Whilst I’m unable to recommend anywhere in Glasgow, my experience round here is that the Fiat Professional place is no more expensive than an independent.

Bdeners

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
2014 Hobby 65 GE
Exp
Since May 2018
Have you considered The Scottish Motorhome Repair Centre?
https://www.motorhomerepaircentre.com/services/motorhomes/#serv_2
I have used them twice in the last 6 months for a grey valve and a truma controller issue, found them extreamly helpful and will be booking my van in next month for a MOT.
Company was recommended to me by some friends who have been using them for a number of years.
Just off the mate.

Bdeners

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
2014 Hobby 65 GE
Exp
Since May 2018
Sorry M 8

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
i get mine done at Summerston MOT centre just off Maryhill Road.
Broken Link Removed: Broken Link Removed

no dodgy faults found, very helpful

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't know if the same rules apply in Scotland but if your Council/local highways dept do their own MOT they HAVE TO offer the service to the public.
They obviously have the headroom and equipment for heavy vehicles and don't do repairs so no incentive to fail for the work.

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
I have used them twice in the last 6 months for a grey valve and a truma controller issue, found them extreamly helpful and will be booking my van in next month for a MOT.
Company was recommended to me by some friends who have been using them for a number of years.
Just off the mate.
Yes - I'd recommend the Motorhome Repair Centre as well. They have done some warranty work for me on behalf of Elddis and the result was very good. They also fitted a Ma-Ve levelling system for me.
My motorhome is booked into them next month for it's first habitation check, and I'll get them to change the oil at the same time. They're a one stop shop, so will do both the vehicle service and habitation check.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Don't know if the same rules apply in Scotland but if your Council/local highways dept do their own MOT they HAVE TO offer the service to the public.
They obviously have the headroom and equipment for heavy vehicles and don't do repairs so no incentive to fail for the work.

Yes its the same here in Scotland.
I've used them often and as you say, they do not hunt for work on your vehicle, therefor they're ideal for motorhome MOTs.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Just off the mate.
Stay well clear of that little scumbag,total cowboy.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes - I'd recommend the Motorhome Repair Centre as well. They have done some warranty work for me on behalf of Elddis and the result was very good. They also fitted a Ma-Ve levelling system for me.
My motorhome is booked into them next month for it's first habitation check, and I'll get them to change the oil at the same time. They're a one stop shop, so will do both the vehicle service and habitation check.
Funny how different folk have different opinions. I wouldn't go near the place a 3rd time. I should've learned my lesson the 1st time.

As for MOTs we take ours to Somervilles in Cambuslang.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I use Motorworx at Netherton industial estate Anniesland for MOT and servicing,very happy with him.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
Funny how different folk have different opinions. I wouldn't go near the place a 3rd time. I should've learned my lesson the 1st time.

As for MOTs we take ours to Somervilles in Cambuslang.
Sorry - same question as the last post - any clues about problems so I'm prepared? Thanks

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Can you give me a few clues about what went wrong so I'm prepared :)
My large Heki seal failed and I took it to them, he talked a good job saying he used sealer that cost a lot, can’t remember now. When he wouldn’t tell me what it was I should have got concerned but because of it leaking during the winter I had no choice but to get it dealt with quickly, I would have done it myself if the weather had been good. Went to fetch it and he says don’t know what the manufacturer used but it wouldn’t be something he would use, manufacturer is Frankia. Imagine a crappy repairer trying to say he knew better than Frankia, I probably caused it to leak when I was up cleaning the roof. I go out to check as he tells me to and there was a gap all the way round where there should have been non setting mastic, what I could make out it was a thin string of what looked like sikaflex,went back in to talk to him and he said leave it and I will sort it. Bearing in mind he said he would need to use 3 tubes, lucky if it was half a tube. On returning to collect it I checked and it looked like they had sealed it all round, paid and left before I got into an argument with him. Roll on a week later and we are in northern France in a torrential downpour, guess what water pours in. Once the rain went off I had a look and they hadn’t unscrewed the hinge end and sealed that, took photos and phoned him. He said bring it back in, explained where we were and were away for 3 months, he then says it’s faulty and the only way he would do anything for me was to replace the Heki, I ended up buying a tube of Sika and sealed it myself. Utter little shite of an individual and if he wants to try suing me I still have the photos of his crap work. STAY WELL CLEAR. @irnbru told me after all this about her experience.

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
My large Heki seal failed and I took it to them, he talked a good job saying he used sealer that cost a lot, can’t remember now. When he wouldn’t tell me what it was I should have got concerned but because of it leaking during the winter I had no choice but to get it dealt with quickly, I would have done it myself if the weather had been good. Went to fetch it and he says don’t know what the manufacturer used but it wouldn’t be something he would use, manufacturer is Frankia. Imagine a crappy repairer trying to say he knew better than Frankia, I probably caused it to leak when I was up cleaning the roof. I go out to check as he tells me to and there was a gap all the way round where there should have been non setting mastic, what I could make out it was a thin string of what looked like sikaflex,went back in to talk to him and he said leave it and I will sort it. Bearing in mind he said he would need to use 3 tubes, lucky if it was half a tube. On returning to collect it I checked and it looked like they had sealed it all round, paid and left before I got into an argument with him. Roll on a week later and we are in northern France in a torrential downpour, guess what water pours in. Once the rain went off I had a look and they hadn’t unscrewed the hinge end and sealed that, took photos and phoned him. He said bring it back in, explained where we were and were away for 3 months, he then says it’s faulty and the only way he would do anything for me was to replace the Heki, I ended up buying a tube of Sika and sealed it myself. Utter little shite of an individual and if he wants to try suing me I still have the photos of his crap work. STAY WELL CLEAR. @irnbru told me after all this about her experience.
Ok thanks. I'll keep an eye on them. The problem is it's difficult to find anyone in my area that can be trusted. There's a local man in Crossford but he doesn't have the facilities to be able to do a good job. And the main dealers in Perth and Livingstone are not renowned for their post sales support. The two jobs the motorhome repair centre have done for me have been good, and their setup and facilities are better than anyone else I know, so here's hoping. :)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Ok thanks. I'll keep an eye on them. The problem is it's difficult to find anyone in my area that can be trusted. There's a local man in Crossford but he doesn't have the facilities to be able to do a good job. And the main dealers in Perth and Livingstone are not renowned for their post sales support. The two jobs the motorhome repair centre have done for me have been good, and their setup and facilities are better than anyone else I know, so here's hoping. :)
Best of luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back