Oct 6, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
rv hi top
Exp
3 years
hello there!

i have been to france in the bongo, and want to go to italy but i need to convince my wife that my 1996 bongo will make it!
any ideas?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Our '96 Bongo took us to France twice, Spain and Croatia. What is there to worry about?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Paul, can't help with the Bongo but I can highly recommend Italy now that's coming from another Glaswegian so surely that should do it for her.

Welcome to fun

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi and welcome,
I had a Bongo for several years and it was 100% reliable after I blocked the EGR valve,cheap and easy to do and put a K&N air filter in to help it breathe better.
The only downside of ownership for me was high fuel consumption it's a heavy old bus and did like a drop of diesel.
I only got rid of it because was coming increasing difficult to get through the hatch to bed owing to my increasing girth around the middle !!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Our Bongo returns an average of 28 mpg with a max of 36 on motorways at 56mph. We use it less now as we have a PVC but our last big trip to the continent was last year. I'm sure that it would do us proud if we took it on a trip next year.

OP
OP
P

paul quinn

Free Member
Oct 6, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
rv hi top
Exp
3 years
Our Bongo returns an average of 28 mpg with a max of 36 on motorways at 56mph. We use it less now as we have a PVC but our last big trip to the continent was last year. I'm sure that it would do us proud if we took it on a trip next year.
no over heating or break downs?

OP
OP
P

paul quinn

Free Member
Oct 6, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
rv hi top
Exp
3 years
Hi Paul, can't help with the Bongo but I can highly recommend Italy now that's coming from another Glaswegian so surely that should do it for her.

Welcome to fun
we hired a motorhome in empoli this year and can recommend some sites! just worried that the cost of taking the bongo - not sure about what is the best route for petrol consumption and cost?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
no over heating or break downs?
No breakdowns - ever. We had a couple of occasions when the temp went up beyond normal but we were fully loaded, going up hills in 35oC heat. We just turned up the heating, opened the windows and slowed down until the temp went back to normal. We have a Mason alarm that makes the temp gauge more sensitive (so it works before the rising temp causes damage) and a hi-lo coolant alarm so were able to respond quickly.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
we hired a motorhome in empoli this year and can recommend some sites! just worried that the cost of taking the bongo - not sure about what is the best route for petrol consumption and cost?
Go for routes that take you where you want to go - the journey is part of the holiday and rushing down motorways is not always the most interesting way to get there. The biggest problem with fuel consumption tends to be heavy right feet - cruising around 56 mph gives the best return for us - any faster and we lose economy so that at 80 mph (120 km/h), we get 18 mpg :(.

On The Edge Too

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hello and Welcome from me :) not a Glaswegian but stayed there once for a week for The Charles Rennie Mackintosh Exhibition :party3:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back