giving wild camping a bad name.... (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yer know, and I'm being quite serious (and not at all flippant about the tragic loss of those brave soldiers) but if I'd been scattered there I'd enjoy seeing a few bikers enjoying themselves.
But it might stretch even forces humour if they pissed on you.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
camping on an area designated for the spreading of ashes of soldiers... classy
Looking on the web page and asking the question regarding spreading of the ashes of lost and fallen ones..does not take place around the Memorial at all due to it being open to the public for viewing. According to their site ..the remembrance garden is just a little walk away from the main memorial

Kev;)(y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yer know, and I'm being quite serious (and not at all flippant about the tragic loss of those brave soldiers) but if I'd been scattered there I'd enjoy seeing a few bikers enjoying themselves.

Yes but spreading ashes is for the benefit and comfort for the bereaved not the dead.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
But it might stretch even forces humour if they pissed on you.
Agreed, but the only known facts are that they are bikers and camping.
Day trippers need loos as well. ;)
I guess I'm biased (and have found acceptable ways and means), having been a biking camper all around Europe for 50 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
many of the comments here stink of double standards.

imagine the comments that would be here if this were travellers / hippies / people of colour or pinko leftie liberals who had pitched camp - oh, pass the vapours!
It is selfish and disrespectful bad behaviour and should be called out as that.... whoever does it.
imagine turning up to see the memorial at sunrise... to pay your respects to a fallen member of your family and seeing a bunch of campers surrounding the place you came to visit - its the height of disrespect and if they are ex forces, they should be ashamed... but clearly they are embarrisable.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm pretty sure the car park has no overnight parking and camping signs? Well there was a few years back. Did they just ignore these?:unsure:
Immaterial of the rights or wrongs around respect that in itself detracts from the ethos around wild camping and puts them in a bad light.:frowny:

edit: looking at the photo in Twatter again I think one off them is pitched next to one of the signs.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I'm pretty sure the car park has no overnight parking and camping signs? Well there was a few years back. Did they just ignore these?:unsure:
Immaterial of the rights or wrongs around respect that in itself detracts from the ethos around wild camping and puts them in a bad light.:frowny:

edit: looking at the photo in Twatter again I think one off them is pitched next to one of the signs.:rolleyes:
yip . clearly says “no overnight Parking or camping”
2E98F96E-0714-4206-899E-45F15D6C08CB.png
50AE4DC6-20BC-4C85-BDD2-45F024C8F9B8.png
5219FA58-6B57-4055-9916-D07504BC76B0.png

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
My earlies memory of a motorhome holiday was at the Three Commandos Monument, it was the early 60s & the first & only time I saw my father crying.
Wherever we were in the highlands, we always went to the monument to pay our respects.

I think the guys with the tents are harmless & if they leave it as they found it or better I congratulate them for paying their respects to out marvellous armed forces.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
If they keep it clean and cause no trouble , looks ok to me.
No way should they be there , next to the memorial , there is a remembrance garden to the fallen with tributes , family flowers and the like . It’s nigh on sacred ground . Not happy seeing just down the rd along the Loch there’s a lovely pull in !

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
No way should they be there , next to the memorial , there is a remembrance garden to the fallen with tributes , family flowers and the like . It’s nigh on sacred ground . Not happy seeing just down the rd along the Loch there’s a lovely pull in !
and by the looks of it one of them is pitched on the entrance to the Garden of Remembrance.
1593874770042.png

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
My earlies memory of a motorhome holiday was at the Three Commandos Monument, it was the early 60s & the first & only time I saw my father crying.
Wherever we were in the highlands, we always went to the monument to pay our respects.

I think the guys with the tents are harmless & if they leave it as they found it or better I congratulate them for paying their respects to out marvellous armed forces.
Let's hope they don't need to go to the loo. There are no toilets at the memorial. o_O

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Where are the loo's there?

It's not respectful to be pee'ing (or worse) all over the place. :cry:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ok, So if they/you have any respect, you would endevour to find a place away from there to Urinate. Anyone who needs a No2 can do what we all did. ("SAS" style) bag it take it away and dispose sensibly later. When I was Night Trunking I always had a few Black Bags with me!. Having said that, as Scouts in the 50`s, we where taught to dig and backfill our own latrines. Quote, from a Mate, Ex Forces. "never ask a man with a shovel in the Desert, where he is going".

May 1, 2017
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp

imagine the comments that would be here if this were travellers / hippies / people of colour or pinko leftie liberals who had pitched camp - oh, pass the vapours!

Reading the comments through this string it's not too difficult to pick out those that served and those that might be travellers / hippies / pinko leftie liberals.

It is selfish and disrespectful bad behaviour and should be called out as that.... whoever does it.
imagine turning up to see the memorial at sunrise... to pay your respects to a fallen member of your family and seeing a bunch of campers surrounding the place you came to visit - its the height of disrespect and if they are ex forces, they should be ashamed... but clearly they are embarrisable.

Reading the comments through this string it's not too difficult to pick out those that served and those that might be travellers / hippies / pinko leftie liberals.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back