giving up and buying a tent. (2 Viewers)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@cookie someone on the Facebook autotrail group has just posted a 2012 Mohawk coming up for private sale.. if you need any info let me know before you buy that tent...

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
After reading this I think I will only buy brand new
At least then your guaranteed no leaks:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Arm yourself with a bit of research and a huge dollop of common sense and..........buy private. If more people did this then the dealers would have to offer better service and value......simples

The Tincas

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For what it's worth @cookie, I think you're going to get on just fine finding your new van.

You've learned two very valuable lessons;
1) Motorhome Dealers lie
2) Even expensive / newer vans can have damp

You've also learned these lessons per-purchase - sadly many buyers learn this lesson after they've spent all their hard earned cash.

You've also invested in a damp meter, so know how to spot a damp van - which is great.
So why pay over the odd's for a van from a dealer, when you are able to test a van for damp yourself?

Why not look for a private sale - check for damp, check the service book, see what the seller is like , and how they've looked after the van. Personally I think you can tell a lot about a van by the people who own it. If they look like they care for their home/garden - they probably have taken the same care of their van.

You could save yourself thousands compared with buying from the 'trade', who after all, don't offer the safer buying route that they appear too.

Best of luck!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Or possibly not? - who knows WHO to believe!
Social media pictures supposedly showing Download Festival 2016's flooded campsites were actually taken at Glastonbury 2005
http://teamrock.com/news/2016-06-11/drownload-not-quite

Possibly I suppose. I didn't think Glastonbury 2015 was that wet though and most of the tent camping there is on the higher ground. I can't think of anywhere at Glastonbury where it could have been taken.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Think you're right Gary,certainly a very strange thread .definitely whiffy. .decided to ignore the thread and read some real problems that people have had . Roy

Agree especially as the OP posted this thread on Wednesday!!

buying a van ,a cautionary tale

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Possibly I suppose. I didn't think Glastonbury 2015 was that wet though and most of the tent camping there is on the higher ground. I can't think of anywhere at Glastonbury where it could have been taken.
The photo was taken at the bottom of Pennard's Field at Glastonbury Festival, 2005.
They've since installed extra drainage so it no longer floods like this (minor Glasto geek here :whistle:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For what it's worth @cookie, I think you're going to get on just fine finding your new van.

You've learned two very valuable lessons;
1) Motorhome Dealers lie
2) Even expensive / newer vans can have damp

You've also learned these lessons per-purchase - sadly many buyers learn this lesson after they've spent all their hard earned cash.

You've also invested in a damp meter, so know how to spot a damp van - which is great.
So why pay over the odd's for a van from a dealer, when you are able to test a van for damp yourself?

Why not look for a private sale - check for damp, check the service book, see what the seller is like , and how they've looked after the van. Personally I think you can tell a lot about a van by the people who own it. If they look like they care for their home/garden - they probably have taken the same care of their van.

You could save yourself thousands compared with buying from the 'trade', who after all, don't offer the safer buying route that they appear too.

Best of luck!
Think he may be getting a bit carried away with his damp meter, knowing where to stick it is the biggest part of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back