Give me a bit of privacy, won't you??? (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
53509582_2505030892888670_8124549137149460480_n.jpg

(no, I did NOT take this picture!)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have a lot of seagulls flying around where I live and I fear my drone might be snatched. Twice Ive had to bring it down quickly.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
'the use of drones increasingly worries everyone from fire fighters and air traffic control to law enforcement'

'Dutch police have joined forces with Guard From Above, a raptor-training security firm based in , to keep wayward drones from causing trouble by snatching them out of the sky'

'Birds, said the Audobon Society’s Geoff LeBaron, are generally dubious about drones anyway as they tend to demonstrate terrible avian manners.
Often drones lose their flying privileges because local birds feel crowded. “The drones are pretty much the size of a bird of prey, so smaller birds on the ground aren’t likely to mob a bird of prey when it’s flying – but larger birds are, especially when it’s around their nests,” said LeBaron, who’d seen the behaviour in barnacle geese as well as raptors like ospreys. “The birds of prey are having an aggressive interaction to defend their territory from another bird of prey.” '

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
And..... look what else I found! How cool is that!

Hold the dog photography
As most of you woud have seen, a photo was posted of an eagle grabbing a drone. So i posted a screen shot of this clip and i couldn't believe how many were saying they were both photoshopped! Hahaha, i mean im ok at photoshop but im not that good. Amongst the tears and crying about the welfare of the eagles, not knowing how tough they really are, people were also saying the drone was strapped to the eagles tallons and that an eagle would never do that. The stupidity on the internet really is amazing
1f642.png
:)
So i felt i had to educate all the while with a little advertising
1f609.png
;)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I live within 2 miles of the runway at Bournemouth International Airport. It shocks me the number of drones we see flying locally, even nearer the runway. Personally I would like to see raptors shred these stupid irresponsible people's toys

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Next would be "airport closed due to low flying raptors.":)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Hold the dog photography
As most of you woud have seen, a photo was posted of an eagle grabbing a drone. So i posted a screen shot of this clip and i couldn't believe how many were saying they were both photoshopped! Hahaha, i mean im ok at photoshop but im not that good. Amongst the tears and crying about the welfare of the eagles, not knowing how tough they really are, people were also saying the drone was strapped to the eagles tallons and that an eagle would never do that. The stupidity on the internet really is amazing
1f642.png
1f609.png
;)

Sorry, but i do not know what the raptor is grabbing. Is it a dog?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Next would be "airport closed due to low flying raptors.":)
I know the airport were getting a bit twitchy about the raptor situation. There is a hill and nature reserve overlooking the airport, St Catherines hill. The healthy biodiversity means we have several buzzards living and hunting on the hill and surrounding land. They soar up to great heights on the thermals too, which could lead to bird strikes

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sorry, but i do not know what the raptor is grabbing. Is it a dog?
It's the video from the drone in the first post, as the eagle grabs hold of the drone.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I can't quite put my finger on the reason why I generally dislike hobbyist drones.

Maybe it is because anyone can fly them without spending hours and hours of practise like model aircraft and/or model helicopters.

Being so easy to fly, where does the enjoyment come from?

Apart from taking dubious photos of folk who, in the main, would prefer you not to...

The flying of drones is banned on QMJ. (y)

JJ :cool:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I know the airport were getting a bit twitchy about the raptor situation. There is a hill and nature reserve overlooking the airport, St Catherines hill. The healthy biodiversity means we have several buzzards living and hunting on the hill and surrounding land. They soar up to great heights on the thermals too, which could lead to bird strikes

Going back many, many years there was a PanAm 707 approaching Frankfurt Airport which hit a Golden Eagle at about 5,000ft. It shattered the windscreen, although they are heated to increase strength, and tragically killed the Captain. Aircraft landed safely.

Geoff

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

Hold the dog photography
1f642.png
1f609.png
;)

I cant see it :(:(

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I haven’t seen many drones in the flesh.

I did see one in the USA a few months ago when some chap flew one along the shoreline at the beach for about a mile and then it came back to him. It looked quite cool,but I don’t really see the point now that we have Google Earth which I think is brilliant

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I cant see it :(:(
aw sorry about that Sandra
(did you give it time to load? it's nicked from FB so [on my lappy at least] takes ages)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I haven’t seen many drones in the flesh.

I did see one in the USA a few months ago when some chap flew one along the shoreline at the beach for about a mile and then it came back to him. It looked quite cool,but I don’t really see the point now that we have Google Earth which I think is brilliant
I am not saying drones have no place, just the irresponsibly flown ones. John @Jaws often uses one to film motorhome fun rallies

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Yes I can see the bird attack a drone, but who took the 1st picture and how/why....... Photoshoped 100%
The person who is flying the eagle?
Rapid shot?
Because he's training the eagle to 'down' and 'snatch' drones, or working with somebody that is?

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I can't quite put my finger on the reason why I generally dislike hobbyist drones.

Maybe it is because anyone can fly them without spending hours and hours of practise like model aircraft and/or model helicopters.

Being so easy to fly, where does the enjoyment come from?

Apart from taking dubious photos of folk who, in the main, would prefer you not to...

The flying of drones is banned on QMJ. (y)

JJ :cool:

My enjoyment comes from videography and photography using a Drone. I have no interest in flying it for the sake of flying it.

Flying a Drone is inherently safer than flying an R/C Aircraft because they are inherently stable (let go of the sticks and it stays where it is) whereas most other R/C aircraft are inherently unstable (let go of the sticks and it will crash).

Theoretically though there's no difference in the danger posed by a Drone in the wrong hands and a Model R/C Aircraft in the wrong hands. In fact I've seen some R/C aircraft flying at over 200mph (and I'm aware that the record is over twice that).

As usual though the problem is simply idiots spoiling it for non-idiots.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back