Gibralter in the van (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
What’s the script for going on the rock with a motorhome or parking etc. Got a bit of. Mobility issue TIA

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just drive there ....You have to go through a customs check They will ask for your passport, Spanish and British. Use park4night to find parking I used the space at Europa point that's where the lighthouse , mosque and old battlements are . A few campers were parked there daytime and I stayed overnight....folk say you can't do this but plenty have including myself.
I got diesel at Morrison's €0.97L it's cheap for fuel but expensive for food

OP
OP
Macca1954
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Just drive there ....You have to go through a customs check They will ask for your passport, Spanish and British. Use park4night to find parking I used the space at Europa point that's where the lighthouse , mosque and old battlements are . A few campers were parked there daytime and I stayed overnight....folk say you can't do this but plenty have including myself.
I got diesel at Morrison's €0.97L it's cheap for fuel but expensive for food
Spot on mate cheers for that. Is Morrison and thebattlements easy enough to find. LOL doesn’t look a big place

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Spot on mate cheers for that. Is Morrison and thebattlements easy enough to find. LOL doesn’t look a big place
Yeah there's not much on the rock. If you don't have park4night download it it's free but handy for coordinates for your satnav

Then look for the parking spot at the very tip Europa point . You'll see my review on it I use the same username for park4night as I do here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Heres the Morrison's coordinates
Screenshot_20190911-174433_park4night.jpg

And Europa point ....ignore the 5/6 metres...I'm 7 and managed no probs just hang arse over the pavement it's not busy or obstructing.
Screenshot_20190911-174500_park4night.jpg

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
If you park at Europa Point and want to get into town, the Number 2 bus - every 15 minutes or so weekdays and Saturdays, 30 minutes Sundays -stops there and takes you to the main bus station which is next to Casemates Square and the northern start of Main Street. (Please do also explore the historical side to Gib as well as the shopping.)

Ps: officially no overnighting but some have got away with it as Northernraider says.

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Forgot to add that if you do catch a bus, buy a “Hoppa” ticket which is an all day bus pass. Cheaper than 2 x singles. (Adult or if you qualify, Senior Hoppa.)
(Numbers 4 and 8 will take you to the Eastern side of the Rock from the bus station.)

OP
OP
Macca1954
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Forgot to add that if you do catch a bus, buy a “Hoppa” ticket which is an all day bus pass. Cheaper than 2 x singles. (Adult or if you qualify, Senior Hoppa.)
(Numbers 4 and 8 will take you to the Eastern side of the Rock from the bus station.)
Do they allow dogs on buses ?

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Do they allow dogs on buses ?

No dogs allowed on the buses. I don’t know if taxis take dogs.
(Walking from Europa Point into town, apart from a longish walk - especially on the hilly return - is in my opinion not the safest as the route has sections without a pavement and are quite vulnerable to inattentive vehicles.)

Enjoy!

OP
OP
Macca1954
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
No dogs allowed on the buses. I don’t know if taxis take dogs.
(Walking from Europa Point into town, apart from a longish walk - especially on the hilly return - is in my opinion not the safest as the route has sections without a pavement and are quite vulnerable to inattentive vehicles.)

Enjoy!
Many thanks for info

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hope this isnt stating the obvious; If you want to park in Morrisons you would be well advised to pick a quiet time as the car park is not as big as a UK one.

Jon
btw Spirits are very cheap in Gib £8 ish a litre for Smirnoff etc.

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Many thanks for info

Some mh park/camp at Catalan Bay on the eastern side. However, there are some local mh parked there longterm - not overnighting - and it is in a busy carpark as it is right by a beach. The police would most likely move you along from there but if you are able to just park it there and return to Europa Point for the night it is a much safer walking route into town albeit some distance... 1 1/2 miles?

OP
OP
Macca1954
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Many thanks all had a great day today. Walked/struggled in this morning upon seeing the airfield hopled back to the van with the other lugging 2 bottles of my favourite. Then took the van back in and went clockwise around. Some tailback getting in but well worth the wait. So many thanks all for the info. Good bunch of people

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
There is a dedicated MH parking just outside the border in the marina grounds 12.50 euros for 24hrs has anyone used it as it looks nice and safe if leaving the MH for a full day

OP
OP
Macca1954
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
There is a dedicated MH parking just outside the border in the marina grounds 12.50 euros for 24hrs has anyone used it as it looks nice and safe if leaving the MH for a full day
Yes used it yesterday/today is very safe but a long walk onto the rock

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Been to Gib twice in the past two years and quite honestly l can find no real positives to mention on what is a rather dirty cramped lump of rock.. why on earth don't we give it back to Spain particularly as this is the 21c and we no longer need the strategic advantage that the island once gave us.. ?

OP
OP
Macca1954
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Been to Gib twice in the past two years and quite honestly l can find no real positives to mention on what is a rather dirty cramped lump of rock.. why on earth don't we give it back to Spain particularly as this is the 21c and we no longer need the strategic advantage that the island once gave us.. ?
I must of went to a different place. Loved it and it’s and our history. Ah well can’t please everyone, also loved Hong Kong Seychelles and Singapore in my navy days. But as you feel let’s just roll over and die

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base

Fascinating input in to the thread.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its still exists because its a tax haven. And for all the blustering from the Spanish they're quite happy to accept the jobs it provides

Yes it is a bit tired looking in places but its still a unique piece of our heritage.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We found that the Gibraltarians are proud to be British.

My husband was working over there for a while and we both loved it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think the gibraltarians would have something to say about that.
To be honest my first visit to gibralter last year was whistlestop and I didn't like it, this year despite being chased by the monkeys etc I found it a little more interesting and if I could secure a job I'd consider living there.
I'd say it has good and bad points to it but the gibraltarians don't consider themselves Spanish and certainly don't want to be given to Spain.....I spoke to a few of them.
That said a few don't consider themselves British either which I can understand perfectly lol ?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hope this isnt stating the obvious; If you want to park in Morrisons you would be well advised to pick a quiet time as the car park is not as big as a UK one.

Jon
btw Spirits are very cheap in Gib £8 ish a litre for Smirnoff etc.
I didn't have trouble parking in Morrison's either time I was there , your correct it isn't big but I parked the 8.5 metre Frankia there last year mid afternoon and the 7 metre hymer there around 11am with no probs.
There were a few vans in it both times.
I think you can park there 3 hours so also handy for a quick town visit.
Not being drinker I didn't look at the spirits but found the food etc very expensive compared to Morrison's in the UK

But as most of the residents on gib are high earners in gambling I don't suppose they mind lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back