Gibraltar (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
We would like to have a trip into Gibraltar in a week or so possibly staying overnight
if that's an option?
We'll be travelling with the pooch is that a problem? Not found much information up to now regarding campsite/Aire stopovers any advice appreciated (y)

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
There is a good aire at the Marina, about ā‚¬12 euros or so a day, i think. Its an easy walk from there to the border and then you can get the bus up to the centre. Its worth a visit. We joined an organised trip where we were driven to all the main points of interest and had a really interesting day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We also park at the marina. Can get your washing done there too.

Take a cable car trip up to see the monkeys. Worth a visit but watch they don't pinch your glasses, bag etc.

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks for the replies (y)
Would it be an option to drive through the border whilst we've got the pooch with us then come back and overnight at La Linea

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
John one has to ask have you researched taking animals abroad and back to the UK? Gib is the UK. Not some party isle without laws.

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
John one has to ask have you researched taking animals abroad and back to the UK? Gib is the UK. Not some party isle without laws.
Party isle?
Would you suggest that we leave him in the van unattended whilst we "party" in Gibraltar ?
And yes we are in Portugal now so it has crossed our minds about taking him out of and returning him to the Uk the same as it did each time before.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Well you know the implications even if you do not choose to acknowledge them, crossing from Spain into Gib (UK) with an animal.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Honestly, wouldnā€™t bother. Basildon on sea. Only thing there is Morrisonā€™s. Itā€™s a concrete jungle. ( oh, and cheap booze and fags) Defo wouldnā€™t drive into it, like driving in central London !

........imho.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
I was disappointed with the High Street area but enjoyed Pont Europa? , the apes, the caves and the tunnels. But everyone is different. I certainly wouldn't want to drive there. Sorry, no advice re the dog as we didn't have ours at that time, but I'm sure others can help.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We stayed on the marina at Lalinea. Easy walk into Gib. You could drive in for cheap fuel at the very first garage but I wouldn't go any further. Its very busy and narrow
If you're thinking of doing the rock I would walk in and catch a bus to the cable car as its quite a long walk and you won't have any energy left to walk down the rock which is well worth doing. Go early because there is a lot to see on the walk down. We didn't have time to do it all.
There is an Eroski supermarket on the way way into Gibraltar that is worth a visit for cheap spirits. It also sells some waitrose stuff. You may have to make a separate trip for that. We didn't go to Morrisons so can't comment.
No idea about the dog situation
If 12 euros for La Linea marina is too steep you can stay on the football pitch carpark for 4 euros. Happy travels

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I have driven around gibralter 7m van parking is a nightmare only place i could park was morrisons bit of shopping for some english style food and it is not cheap.

Only advantage for me was cheap fuel and tobacco i'd only drive in again if i wanted fuel which was 84p a litre back in may and they only use sterling there had a dog with me as well

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
And another thing :D
It's sterling or euros in Gibraltar Poor rate using euros and didn't want change in Gib sterling so we opted for using cards where possible. Not sure what others do.

Aug 3, 2018
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 635
Exp
Since 2017
You may have to rethink taking the dog if you want to look around Gib itself as you will probably need to the take the buses and the local buses do not allow dogs... unfortunately!

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
we took ours in and out dont think we had to show pet passport
Thanks mitzimad just to confirm this is exactly what happened on our three trips in and out of Gibraltar the only issue we had was that one of the Guardia Civil wanted to show us photos of his dog.

Driving is doable within reason as @mfw said plenty of large cement trucks and skip wagons whizzing about diesel was Ā£1.03 and generally quicker to walk than drive though.

La Linea was perfect for a stopover as suggested and @Clarky the video and directions were excellent as usual.(y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
gibs ok for a drive around . cross the border over the airfield ,at first roundabout turn left and hug the sea go through the tunnel ,thats real fantastic . out the other side look right and stop by the dump . see lots monkeys in there . then on to the point ,then out stopping to get grub etc should you need some .
got to do it at least once . never know if or when they might close the tunnel again.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have been a few times, mainly for diesel, better to park outside because it can take a while getting out, the apes can be nasty buggers :eek: and so are the customs if you have over the limit, :rolleyes: you would think we had a body in the boot. :LOL:
Check the limit on what your allowed because the shops will tell you anything to sell to you. :LOL: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back