Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Telegraph an hour ago .

Spain has reached an agreement with the UK to keep Gibraltar's border open following the end of the Brexit transition period tonight.

Gibraltar's status was not covered in the trade agreement reached by Boris Johnson on Christmas Eve, prompting concerns about what would happen when the transition period ends at 11pm.

However Spain's foreign minister said Gibraltar, whose sovereignty is disputed by Spain and Britain, will remain subject to the rule of the free-travel Schengen area.

Arancha Gonzalez Laya announced that the "agreement in principle" means people in Gibraltar "can breathe a sigh of relief".

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said: "Today, working side by side with the chief minister of Gibraltar, and following intensive discussions with the Spanish government, we reached agreement on a political framework to form the basis of a separate treaty between the UK and the EU regarding Gibraltar.

"We will now send this to the European Commission, in order to initiate negotiations on the formal treaty.

"In the meantime, all sides are committed to mitigating the effects of the end of the transition period on Gibraltar, and in particular ensure border fluidity, which is clearly in the best interests of the people living on both sides.

"We remain steadfast in our support for Gibraltar and its sovereignty."

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We tend to spend (pre-covid) winters based in Gib visiting family and friends. We had been hoping that we could stop the 90 day rule clock for Schengen whilst in Gib and just use up the countdown as and when we popped back into Schengen from there.

However, if my current understanding is correct, Gib will now probably be treated as a Schengen territory and our clock will not now stop.

Am waiting on further advice.

Ps: The agreement seems to be a reasonable one for the locals, bith sides of the border.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: SMB
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Good news for the residents they would have found life very difficult if they we're treated as travelling from the UK every time they crossed into Spain. Its really like the NI situation but to a greater extent. I wonder what's the situation for travel into Gibraltar from the UK going to be like presumably there will be some enhanced border checks.
The details are gradually being sorted for lots of things now by the time travels allowed hopefully things will largely be settled. Were booking a tunnel crossing for May hopefully the dust (and virus) will have settled.

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
The talk has been about posting Frontex officers at the airport and at the port. No mention of them at the border, which would make sense if all relevant checks would have been made at first point of Schengen entry.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Times has a story suggesting Gibraltar might become part of Schengen. I'm not sure how that would work if Gib wants to stay a low tax area but who knows?

Edit:. The BBC website says they are joining Schengen. This means EU citizens won't have to show a passport to enter it, but UK citizens will.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The Times has a story suggesting Gibraltar might become part of Schengen. I'm not sure how that would work if Gib wants to stay a low tax area but who knows?

Edit:. The BBC website says they are joining Schengen. This means EU citizens won't have to show a passport to enter it, but UK citizens will.
We already do, its no hassle automatic machines, passport on the little screen feet on the markings, it takes seconds.

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
The land border will not now be subject to passport controls.
This might help (from the Gibraltar Chronicle):
Apologies if not in the right order.

A9607463-99F7-4A88-A0ED-A90A4F49BBA5.png 6E785BF5-D715-4695-B2B7-34EF38434DE1.png BE328697-FDA6-42BB-B94B-905A2CA3A4B8.png

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We already do, its no hassle automatic machines, passport on the little screen feet on the markings, it takes seconds.
It won't quite be the same presumably as if there's no land border it will be like entering an EU country presumably with similar requirements on passport validity 90 days in 180 etc. Also presumably there will be similar requirements in standards so any goods entering will need to meet EU standards etc like NI.
A sensible arrangment probably an improvement in ease of travel into and from Spain.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It won't quite be the same presumably as if there's no land border it will be like entering an EU country presumably with similar requirements on passport validity 90 days in 180 etc. Also presumably there will be similar requirements in standards so any goods entering will need to meet EU standards etc like NI.
A sensible arrangment probably an improvement in ease of travel into and from Spain.
It was in and out of Spain I was referring to, well worth a visit for spirits at Ā£7/litre. I've never flown in although it has the potential to be an exciting experience. for those who havent been

1609494841032.png

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Landing at Gib airport with an approach from the West should be on everyoneā€™s bucket list.
(Stuka-like!)
Waiting at the traffic lights while a plane lands in front of you is quite interesting too!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It was in and out of Spain I was referring to, well worth a visit for spirits at Ā£7/litre. I've never flown in although it has the potential to be an exciting experience. for those who havent been

View attachment 452613
The cheap spirits could well be gone. Part of the negotiation is going to be on duties etc if the border with Spain is going to be totally open it could be that there will be a customs alignment. It depends on how things end up it could well be a Monaco type arrangement as its in Spain's interest to keep it similar to now but at the moment it's just a proposal to make Spain in effect responsible for entry into Gib so as to avoid them being the only place with a no deal Brexit so a pretty good option.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The cheap spirits could well be gone. Part of the negotiation is going to be on duties etc if the border with Spain is going to be totally open it could be that there will be a customs alignment. It depends on how things end up it could well be a Monaco type arrangement as its in Spain's interest to keep it similar to now but at the moment it's just a proposal to make Spain in effect responsible for entry into Gib so as to avoid them being the only place with a no deal Brexit so a pretty good option.
Its main purpose these days is as a tax haven, removal of that will soon make a big difference to the employment in the surrounding area of Sapain.

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Gibraltar is not a tax haven.
A tax haven is somewhere where one can hide earnings and holdings from where they should be paying tax.
Gibraltar has a longstanding internationally recognised and approved system where all accounts are openly declared to the personā€™s resident country.
Even Spain has (finally) this year recognised Gib as a legal financial entity, rejecting its ā€œtax havenā€ status.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Visited Gib many times when I was in the Navy, love the place. Used to really hairy flying in when Spain was playing funny bu**ers, you could not fly in spanish airspace, made for a very tight turn and a change of underwear. Taking off is still nervy as you fly almost to the sea, no room for errors.........

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I'm glad they have come to a sensible joint agreement, a great place to visit we found only thing we did not like was it was generally filthy, but we did not regret going there

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
Basically the UK has surrendered Gibraltar to Spain in order to get a poor shambles of a deal.
Rather than Gib having a border with Spain, the Spanish Schengen frontier will now extend around Gibraltar, forming a border between Gib and UK.

In a similar way, the UK now has more of a border between itself and Northern Ireland, as NI gets pushed towards the Republic of Ireland and EU membership. N.I. citizens have far more rights and freedoms than their UK counterparts, and are closer to EU citizens than UK....

The same people who were outraged and infuriated when the 'Argies' almost took back the Falkland Islands are somehow willing to look the other way whilst it happens politically to Gib and N.I. Plastic patriotism for the gullible masses ?

B****t - the gift that keeps on giving ! :giggler:

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Great photo, thanks.
From where did you take off in order to land in Gib? Not Spain I would say.
Tangiers, Morocco. Both inbound and outbound for the same reason. Daft, isnā€™t it.

Huge runway for a light aircraft. In fact I had to hold over the sea for a few minutes waiting for the inbound BA Airbus from London to land, so I got extra time to admire the view :)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Stops the Spanish threatening to close the border so that's an improvement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back