Free Member
Feb 4, 2008
Hallow, Worcs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 yrs
Hi all.. pleased to meet you all .....I'm a cross over from MHF... not quite sure why yet as I haven't read all the posts, but will catch up with the rest of you eventually....

I know I shouldn't do this.. but this is a "double post" as I am short of time. OUr grandchildren are here [ spain] for half term and we are making the most of it!

So it is a big hello and ...

We took the family to Gibraltar yesterday and would just like to point out what I think is a rip off [ one of my pet hates]

All the prices there are in £ sterling. Most people who visit have euros to spend. We went into a bar for lunch and the prices were in £'s only.
On asking for the bill we were ask did we want to pay in £'s or Euros.... we said euros as that's what we had in cash. {although had we known we could have taken £'s from the camper].
Some kind person behind said you pay much more in euros as they exchange only 2 euros to the £.

Outrageous! I immediately asked if I could then pay by credit card.. and surprise surprise - they didn't accept cards of any kind!

I immediately dispatched "him indoors" to the nearest cash point for £'s.

To sum up - the bill came to £38.85. Which cost me an extra £2.05 to draw from the cashpoint. TOTAL - £40.90

Pay by euros 78 - exchange rate 75p - £58.50

Be warned.....if you go to gib.... take sterling...Car park £3.00 - pay in euros - 5!!

If they had the notice displayed then you have the choice, but it all smells of a rip off to me.... what do the panel think?? I am interested to know - have I got it wrong or not.. it just seems so blatant!

Hope to catch up with all soon.....in the meantime........

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
... Which cost me an extra £2.05 to draw from the cashpoint.

Time to get a Nationwide flex account... no charge for withdrawal from cash machines... and the best exchange rate we've ever had:thumb:

...welcome! much more fun on here than the dark side and it's all free:Cool:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Gib as you know is part of rip off Great Britain, and looks to have worked it out very well, yes been there and yes I agree Total rip off, fortunatley I had £ with me
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Sugarplum
Welcome to the FunForum
I was in Gib a couple of years ago and had the same complaint definately part of Rip Off Britain

Col447

Free Member
Aug 24, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Waiting for delivery !!!!
Exp
3rd M/H
Thanks for the tip! We are off to Spain on Monday and was thinking of hiring a car and going to Gib' for a day, will now take some £'s with us.
Cheers Col:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back