Ghostly goings on ... West Coast (1 Viewer)

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Imagine this tale being told by John Laurie (Private Fraser in Dad's Army) ::bigsmile:

Last weekend, the weatherman told us "west is best - go as far as west as you can for the sun!" So we were off, as far west as you can go in fact on the UK mainland, to Ardnamurchan. We camped for one night by Loch Moidart, just along the shore from Castle Tioram. We were watching a glorious sunset, not a soul around, when a figure came into view striding purposefully across the beach towards the distant waterline. He was dressed in a kilt, carrying a rucksack. I trained my binoculars on him, and as he arrived at the water's edge he unpacked his sack. I thought he was getting a tripod out to catch the sunset, but no, he was unpacking a set of bagpipes. I thought for a minute that his piping may have been so bad he had been banished from his home to practise as far away as he could. But not at all. He started a series of quite haunting laments, and played for about 15 minutes as the sun died. Then he moved to the castle. I lost sight of him as he fell into the dark shade of the castle, and a short time later, the pipes started once again, echoing from the castle walls. Another few laments followed. I watched for him coming back along the road from the castle to offer our appreciation for what had been a quite eerie surreal experience, but he didn't show....... so we toasted him in his absence with a fine single malt!! :Smile:

A few photos below:

1: The piper at the water edge, far right.

2 and 3. Shots with the long lens ....

and one more shot below of the sunset at Loch Moidart,
taken just before he arrived.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Sometimes you just happen to be in the right place at the right time, you couldn't plan it. :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I always knew that MoHoFunsters were special, but when I first heard about the whip-round too arrange the Piper to play for a lonesome Wild-Camper I was moved.

.......that's just the kinda peeeeps you all are.....:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We had a similar experience a few years ago at Lake Louise in BC, Canada. We had walked down a trail to the other end of the lake from the hotel at the head of the lake, we were about to return when a man in Leiderhosen gear started playing an Alpine horn at the hotel, the sound of that horn over the lake was surreal, very enjoyable.

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
we had a similar experience, though a little more fabricated here in a local cave system.

there is a 'cathedral style' chamber there, that they used to perform opera/ceremonies in and the guide was telling us about it. there happened to be three lass's from a girls choir there, and they blessed us with a few choral songs which sounded awesome.

thanks for sharing your good fortune !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back