Getting to Norway from Scotland (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We're not long back from a "Norwegian Fjords" cruise and were wowed by Norway. Much less so by cruising which I'm in no hurry to repeat. Anyhow, we have a new van arriving next week and want to go back to Norway but ferry options seem to have diminished over the years.

Not too worried about cost of crossings/bridges but would like to minimise driving outside Denmark/Sweden/Norway. Any suggestions?

Tim

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Long gone are the days of Fred Olsen and Fjord Line crossings direct to Norway which leaves the Danish Seaways Harwich to Esbjerg route, and that's not cheap.

On that subject somebody mentioned yesterday that there's talk of even Broken Link Removed (I'm in the Faroes at the moment) and having just googled it can confirm it's true. For those of us who love Scandinavia it's another kick in the teeth with a choice of Calais or the Hook 150 miles or so up the road before we get anywhere near the place.
There's no mention of the Newcastle/Amsterdam route being affected but wait for it. :Angry:

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
there was a post not so long ago but I cant remember what forum I was on, about someone booking a freight sailing from the hull area I think direct to a Norwegian port . it wasn't cheap and I was surprised as id looked into it last year and ended up going via Amsterdam because I couldn't find a direct sailing... sorry cant be more helpful as to location of that post... its an age thing:ROFLMAO:
ta andy

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are going via Newcastle to Amsterdam and are hoping to drive up through Denmark then get a ferry to Norway where we hope to get to Flam before returning via the west coast of Sweden. We haven't booked a return as we will decide nearer the time which way we want to come.

We only have 19 days so might not get anywhere near flam but will give it a go.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
When I travelled on business, admittedly a while ago, I went from harwich to Esbjerg then tip of Denmark to Kristiansand. Expensive but quickest and most convenient.

We are going to Denmark in July but going via Chunnel . Cause we don't need to hurry :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When I travelled on business, admittedly a while ago, I went from harwich to Esbjerg then tip of Denmark to Kristiansand. Expensive but quickest and most convenient.

We are going to Denmark in July but going via Chunnel . Cause we don't need to hurry :thumb:

We are heading off on the 17th of July might see you there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back