Getting stuck on first trip? (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Same advice I give to folk darn sarf who rarely drive on snow - pretend you have an egg under your right foot.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
He ain’t gonna hold that up if it decides to roll, but it’s quite a way from rolling imho!👍
I'm presuming it was rescued without (much) damage.
It is from the Facebook page of a breakdown(?) company.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Buy a “Kinetic” tow rope. !! Also called
“Slingshot or Shotgun” recovery ropes !!
First saw them used in the Army.
Excellent and give peace of mind.
Watch a demo.
Mitch.

Jan 11, 2013
E Mids
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
The best thing I have found for grass is either snow socks or tyre grips. I always carry both and in winter chains as well. I have found Boxers and Ducatos are terrible for front end grip and have been 'stuck' on various occasions - usually in t5he morning after heavy snow. Tyre grips are cheap and if you make up a tool are reusable - they a\re only big Tywraps after all but are brilliant for traction.
Presently few seem available because it is summer but here is a picture of what I mean. They are also brilliant on grass and have provided us with pitches others just would not risk .
SEE as an example...............<Broken link removed>

Beast

Free Member
Jul 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 1968
Don’t panic Captain Mainwaring!

Firstly,you may be on well drained land so it won’t be a problem
Secondly,on a lot of sites/fields,the ground is so hard due to be driven on by lots of vans,you won’t sink in.

If you use as low revs as possible you reduce the risk of losing grip. I’ve got out of mud with the engine on tick over a few times,and that’s on Michelin Agilis tyres that some folk say have poor grip.

Your mats may be useful. Some folk put them under the driving wheels when they arrive on a muddy site.

Other folk will always be around to help you. DO NOT WORRY!!!!!! :giggle: :giggle:(y)(y)
If the site puts you on grass it's their obligation to tow you off !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
First gear, full revs and drop the clutch real quick. Get the missus to film it so you can show your mates how to do it too. (y)

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Only ever got stuck twice over the years. Have the Fiamma mats (useless). Don’t keep trying and dig yourself in - bite the bullet and ask for help.

mish

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
May sound stupid but reliable - always carry snow chains. As good in mud as snow, and these days they are easy to put on with a cable round the back of the tyre.
m

Sianna

Free Member
Feb 9, 2020
Derby
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 696
Exp
New to the experience
Unless it's hard baked ground I always put bread crates under all 4 wheels. Even if you are FWD you should put them under the rear wheels as well, as if the ground is soft the rear wheels will sink into a hollow making driving off difficult.

You can normally scrounge a couple of bread crates from a local shop, cut the sides off then cut the base in two.
X2 for the bread crates, they have got me out of some seriously sticking situations so far, amazing bit of kit and I have now got 2 sets that are plasti tied together to give me a good run off, saved me a tow or two

May 19, 2018
Funster No
I've found that if the wheels spin on the first attempt, stop trying, change into 2nd gear and let the clutch out slowly on tickover and you'll usually move on OK. Be aware that you'll move quite fast so plan your route out.
Also, if you're trying to get uphill and it starts spinning, roll back and try again but without going over the same bit of grass again.

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Arrived at a CL site near Falmouth in torrential rain at the end of June. A clown had left his vehicle in our allotted space and not knowing this I stuck the Apache into the 6th slot. Very slight dip, got stuck. The clown them redeemed himself by helping get unstuck.

I’m actually glad it happened as I’ve learned more about my vehicle and it’s limitations, like on the narrow wooden bridge over the stream onto the car park at Seatown…

d

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Couple of points, like fish boxes someone has had to buy bread crates, so make sure that if you do acquire some they are beyond their use as in broken etc. If you think you may have problems driving off it might be an idea to let the engine warm up a bit first gives you a bit more flexibility and less risk of stalling, gentle application of power reduces the risk of wheel slip. Ideally park facing the roadway try to drive off in a straight line, turning the wheel increases the risk of getting stuck as it will pull off the grass directly under the wheels and expose the mud.as stated if your wheels spin stop and get help the more you spin the wheels the worse it gets.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The best thing I have found for grass is either snow socks or tyre grips. I always carry both and in winter chains as well. I have found Boxers and Ducatos are terrible for front end grip and have been 'stuck' on various occasions - usually in t5he morning after heavy snow. Tyre grips are cheap and if you make up a tool are reusable - they a\re only big Tywraps after all but are brilliant for traction.
Presently few seem available because it is summer but here is a picture of what I mean. They are also brilliant on grass and have provided us with pitches others just would not risk .
SEE as an example...............<Broken link removed>
Nice find. I haven't seen those before. 😊

Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Apache
Exp
3 years previously and now returning with new MH
Buy a gravel board from B&Q and cut it into 4 lengths that you can park on. The trouble on grass is that you sink in overnight and even a 1cm drop can stop you getting out. Also park so that the front of the vehicle (with drive wheels and towing point) is nearest your exit point.

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
I managed to sink mine in March for my dearest's 60th birthday treat away. Arrived back from the storage site an hour late and we ended up going in the car with the tandem on the back with the wheels off. I left our our kind tractor man with the towing eye. Came back 3 days later with chocs and wine for his mum. Won't forget that birthday for a long time to come 😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back