Getting home when partner seriously indisposed (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our vans have both been in Jill's name, simply because it was easier as we traded in her car when we bought the first one, so the insurance is in her name as well with me as additional driver.

I don't particularly like driving but am good at navigating and Jill is happy to drive so she does the vast majority with no problems at all.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Red Pennant is pricey but provides a recovery service. However, it seems that this may be operated using volunteer club members, which is not what you would expect given the price. What would happen if no-one volunteers is a good question. If you are going to use this one then further research is advised. Best to be the only driver on the insurance. I took my wife off for this reason and it didn't make much difference to the cost which leads me to wonder if, in the case of motorhomes, insurers are happier if the wife doesn't drive it. :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I took my wife off for this reason and it didn't make much difference to the cost which leads me to wonder if, in the case of motorhomes, insurers are happier if the wife doesn't drive it. :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:
The logic's flawed there ... if the cost went up when you took her off perhaps they prefer HER to drive instead of you ... it might actually come down!
:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
The logic's flawed there ... if the cost went up when you took her off perhaps they prefer HER to drive instead of you ... it might actually come down!
:LOL:

That's right, but £5 extra is a suspiciously token amount.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's right, but £5 extra is a suspiciously token amount.
... but think how much LESS it could have been with just your wife on the policy ... :whistle:

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
I think someone mentioned this (van not being recovered if the other person was on the insurance and capable of driving) in a different thread. Needless to say when mentioned to the other half the decision was to remove her from the insurance.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
As I understand it if the remaining driver is not confident to drive 600 or so miles by themselves then they would recover the m/home.

If the worst came to the worst then I would imagine "nervous tension" would kick in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As I understand it if the remaining driver is not confident to drive 600 or so miles by themselves then they would recover the m/home.

If the worst came to the worst then I would imagine "nervous tension" would kick in.
I think the fact that having them on the insurance would negate that though ... so they'd end up having to drive or you'd have to pay for someone to do it.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I really hope I never have to find that out,

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
This is something we have to consider and a few years ago started to take out the Caravan Clubs Red Pennant Ins. Yes it is pricey but one of the main features for us is the chauffeur facility to get the van home.
Touch wood to date we have not had to use it but have come across a few people who have and can vouch for the service
Yep!

Red Pennant is excellent service. Used them once after serious accident and felt they were really concerned to do the best by us.

On the other hand, my Daughter had AA cover last year. Paid for top level of cover, I can't remember what it is called and, after a breakdown in Italy, they were absolutely useless.

They could not find a hire car, anywhere in the vicinity for two weeks and, when the family had to vacate the villa they had hired they were left on the side of the road, two children and suitcases, for four hours, in temperatures in the 80sF despite knowing for over a week that they would have to leave on that date.

My daughter is a Deputy Head in a school and not prone to profanity but described their service, in a letter to them, as " absolute shit".

She is still trying to claim back incidental expenses incurred because of their inefficiency. They simply blame their Italian agents!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I was nervous about driving our RV due to its size, etc when we bought it as I'd never driven anything like it before, not even a Motorhome but you never know when you might need to and I wouldn't want to be put on the spot in an emergency or, worse still, be stuck somewhere.

I got Allan to drive it to a local industrial estate one night so I could practise on quiet roads including reversing and parking. It wasn't anywhere nearly as scary as I thought and I share a lot of the driving now, especially on long journeys.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all the replies. I will investigate taking wife off the insurance, and also Red Pennant cover.
I'm pretty sure that if she had to, she would cope very well. Still, good to know that if I'm lying in hospital or morgue, her main concern is getting the van home. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back