Ian-n-Jane

Free Member
Sep 21, 2017
King's Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hobby 700
Exp
So, I get to a site that I intend to stay on for maybe a week.

I fill the fresh water tank on the way in, head to the pitch and set up. A couple of days of cooking, tea and coffee, washing and showers later I need more fresh water. I take my aqua-roll and fill it but how do I get that water into the inboard tank?

I recall some years ago that there was a water pump system that had a small plug on the lead and was supplied with a matching socket that needed to be fitted to the exterior of the van near the fresh water inlet. Are these still available?

I could fit a 12v socket in a nearby locker and extend the lead on a water pump but would prefer one of the purpose made systems if I can still get one.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I take my aqua-roll and fill it but how do I get that water into the inboard tank?

Ditch the Aquaroll and get a nice new 2 gallon watering can.. (y)

Think of all the space an aquaroll takes up.. :nod:

Chaser beat me to it.. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ditch the Aquaroll and get a nice new 2 gallon watering can.. (y)

Think of all the space an aquaroll takes up.. :nod:

Chaser beat me to it.. :RollEyes:
Way hey we are on the same wavelength about something(y)I

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
You can buy a kit has plug, Socket and Pump (fit them to Bessacarr /Swifts)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are on a site and water is just "on demand" and handy I would go with the watering can option but if you have a metered supply on an aire/Stellplatz or a long walk to a tap on site it is easier with an aquaroll, we have the Whale system in the side of our van which incorporates the power and water inlet in one proprietary socket, I think that you are thinking about a a Whale or Thetford pump that has just the plug and a pipe to go into your tank, I believe these were sold for filling toilet header tanks amongs other things.

Martin

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
TBH we just drive to the service point and fill/empty. If you've used a whole tank of water then unless you've drunk a lot of it, it'll be in the waste tank that needs emptying so just do both in and out at in the same trip.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I carry x2 25Ltr water containers in the garage and try to keep them full, when the above happens i have a hose (about 10ft long fitted one end is a submersible water pump with a 12v plug ciggy socket) Fitted in the garage is x2 12v sockets, i just drop the pump into the water container drop the other end of the hose into the fresh water tank an plug in the power - water drums then empty in a couple of minutes an no need to move van ;)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we carry a hose reel with 30m hose, of all the sites we have used can't recall many we couldn't reach to a tap with that, have borrowed another reel once and joined the two together (y)

but like others we don't stay too long in one place, we have the added hurdle of a black tank for toilet waste so have to take that to a dump point every three days anyway so always refill then (y)

edit - and a watering can, which gets used more than the hose reel (y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ignore the caravan reply above.. as you probably realise the beauty of a motor home is its versatility.. you can stay where you want for as long as you want.. a day.. a week.. a month .. it's your choice. (Unlike a caravan which is for extended periods in specific places only)
A watering can daily is the best option followed by driving to the water point.. that's annoying though as you have to put things away.
We have a 25m hose but almost always use the watering can.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
OTOH of course, you can always 'bucket and chuck it' some of the grey water out, but that can be hard work LOL

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have a couple of expanding hose’s and haven’t been able to reach a tap yet...(y)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I've been watching the watering can brigade, and calculated that it would take me 74 visits to the tap to fill my fresh water tank from empty, so I use a hose

OP
OP
I

Ian-n-Jane

Free Member
Sep 21, 2017
King's Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hobby 700
Exp
Mixed bag of replies, I'm thinking along the same lines as Kool Kroozer. I do not want to be wandering around the site with watering cans.

Space is not an issue.

"Buy a Caravan", Is that the best you can do? I have been there done that and moved on.

Of course the loo and grey water need emptying every day or 2. Whilst I am doing that I will fill the aqua-roll. Up to this point, nothing different to being in a caravan. But when I get back to the MH, I want to transfer the fresh water to the on-board tank.

Anyway, thanks all. I will go with my first thought on the matter, which is pretty much the same as Kool Kroozer.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I've been watching the watering can brigade, and calculated that it would take me 74 visits to the tap to fill my fresh water tank from empty, so I use a hose
What do you use all the water on, we have a 14 lt can and average one a day, start off with a full 70 lt tank from home, and one can only a a day will keep us at least a fortnight.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I use 1 or 2 of those 8 litre water bottles that are common in Spain. If you don't want to buy one there are always plenty in the recycling area of camp sites. If you keep them they weigh nothing when empty but they can be thrown once you leave the site as they are so easy to replace. I usually top up the fresh water every day on site with a couple of bottles full. With the grey waste I drain into a bucket once a day and dump it at the same time I refill the water bottles.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got a Whale pump kit

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/whale-gp1642-portable-water-pump.html

Even on the incredibly rare occasions we're staying somewhere with showers and toilets we prefer to use our own and we also drink from the tank so if there are 2 or 3 of us and both dogs we can empty the 120l tank in 2 days easily.

Filling it from empty with a bloody watering can sounds far too much like hard work. Daft idea if you ask me, I don't work that hard when I'm at work. (y)

We also have a 25m hosepipe on a reel with another 25m extension so that's first choice. If we can't use that then it's the Aquaroll and the pump.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Mixed bag of replies, I'm thinking along the same lines as Kool Kroozer. I do not want to be wandering around the site with watering cans.

Space is not an issue.

"Buy a Caravan", Is that the best you can do? I have been there done that and moved on.

Of course the loo and grey water need emptying every day or 2. Whilst I am doing that I will fill the aqua-roll. Up to this point, nothing different to being in a caravan. But when I get back to the MH, I want to transfer the fresh water to the on-board tank.

Anyway, thanks all. I will go with my first thought on the matter, which is pretty much the same as Kool Kroozer.
But if you are moving the MH to empty the grey waste why not just fill up the tank rather than the aquaroll.?
I'm with the watering can brigade for top ups, except I use a 5 litre container.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
What do you use all the water on, we have a 14 lt can and average one a day, start off with a full 70 lt tank from home, and one can only a a day will keep us at least a fortnight.
Well let's see, we both shower twice a day, wash up, drink tea and coffee, oh then there's the washing machine, so 370 litres will last 5 days or so, if that helps.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
We used to use a watering van but have now opted for a bit of guttering called the "filler of doom". Don't know why it's called that but it can also be used for an emergency enema. We usually have an empty water bottle for drinking water from the supermarket and just top up with that.

IMG_6508.JPG
IMG_6510.JPG

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Even on the incredibly rare occasions we're staying somewhere with showers and toilets we prefer to use our own and we also drink from the tank so if there are 2 or 3 of us and both dogs we can empty the 120l tank in 2 days easily.
I am with Nicknic, we too only use our own facilities.

We like to stay put a few days, and having tried a caravan once, went back to motorhomes, so speaking from experience.

I use an aquaroll often, I even have a "grey" aquaroll for the waste. They only weigh a few kilos and offer me flexibility. Not everyones taste but we are all different. As our present van is a Bailey, we have the whale filler as standard, both a pain and a blessing, but suits us. We have a flat hose as well, but hardly use it. The aquaroll fit under the bed easily, we can't use the space for anything else as we are around max weight.

Vans and people and their needs are different, what I do won't suit everyone, but suits me! I like to make it easy for me, I have retired and have no plans to work too hard ever again!

I suggest that the OP tried it and finds what suits him best.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We've got a Whale pump kit

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/whale-gp1642-portable-water-pump.html

Filling it from empty with a bloody watering can sounds far too much like hard work. Daft idea if you ask me, I don't work that hard when I'm at work. (y)

We also have a 25m hosepipe on a reel with another 25m extension so that's first choice. If we can't use that then it's the Aquaroll and the pump.
Thank God I thought we were somehow the wierdos that bought a van able to support life as "we" know it but we're the odd ones out because we don't trapse across the site in various states of undress with carpet slippers (yes we have seen this) walking across to grotty showers, just to save water or whatever. And let's not get onto washing clothes as clearly that's a whole new world.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I made my own a 12-volt pump arrangement:

A powerful submersible pump is too big to fit through the hole in my 10-litre containers. I use a powerful in-line pump (Comet, 19 litres/min), plus a puny submersible pump to prime it. Maybe a powerful submersible would fit in an Aquaroll, I don't know.

It's connected to a HEOS water filler cap with hose and click-on fittings, and powered by a cigarette-lighter plug with a wire long enough to reach the socket just inside the door, with an on-off switch near the pump.

I don't have an Aquaroll - instead I use two 10-litre water containers (easier to lug around than one 20-litre). I have on occasion fixed them on the luggage carrier of a bike with a piece of plywood and a couple of bungees. With a short length of hose, I can fill and empty them while still fixed on the bike. 5 trips to fill an empty 100-litre tank.

This pump is also useful for cleaning the windscreen and muddy rubber mats, and hosing down animals such as dogs and grandchildren.

And filling the
Washing machine:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back