Getting dog wormed for entry back to UK (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Just wondering, is it only vets local to Calais who are familiar with the whole worming and stamping passport or are all vets familiar with the procedure including those in Spain.

Staying near Barcelona and will be travelling back over 4 days which is within the required 5 days so seems like it would be easier to book an appointment for our last day but would officials in France accept a Spanish stamp.

Probably over worrying things but our first trip to Europe in Moho

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
That's the equivalent of the Remoaners who only find people in the EU who think the UK is making a terrible mistake by leaving and Brexiteers who only meet people who wish their country would leave as well. I would never deal with a professional who does not follow regulations. Never heard of anyone else having nightmares over these procedures. Can remember when their was a rabies outbreak and all animals in an area being shot which is more nightmare inducing.

Perhaps you need to come off your holier than thou pedestal and research that the treatment given by a vet PRIOR to returning to the UK plays absolutely no part in the protection of the UK against Rabies.
The treatment administered is for prevention of tapeworm (usually by administering Milbemax) My best friend is an eminent Veterinary Surgeon (Fellow of the Royal College) and has worked for DEFRA for the last 20 years and he too agrees the risk to the UK is negligable and the administration of said drugs completely OTT. The main risk to humans would be Echinococcus Multiocularis which is prevalent in most parts of Northern Europe and has been found in the UK. Unfortunately, it is quite a serious zooanosis to humans. The biggest risk of contamination to the UK from Echinococcus Multiocularis is not from regularly wormed and treated dogs, but the import of livestock into the UK. However, that would be impossible to control so we turn a blind eye based on a calculated risk.

I have no dog at the moment so my opinion very much irrelevant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We were in conversation with a vet when we were in France when we had to visit for an emergency. He said pretty much the same as your friend and I have to say I agree with what them.

Coincidentally our dog needed the tapeworm treatment to return to the U.K. so he gave us the wormer to administer a couple of days later and signed the passport as our dog was too ill to have the wormer at the time. We gave it to him on another day within the 5 day window.

I could understand if it was anything remotely to do with Rabies but feel it totally ridiculous in the case of ringworm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
our last day but would officials in France accept a Spanish stamp.
It's the checking in person who looks at it and they have no interest as long as correct. Mines always Spanish.
Also cheaper, vets in Spain charge as little as 15euro as against 40 in france.
3e at mine for tablet and no charge for filling in book + encapsulation .

Upvote 0

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Half an hour from Huercal, may have to visit u

Upvote 0
Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Not all French vets accept your own tablets. Obviously would be cheaper if they accept. However, Wednesday visit to vet in Arques. €16.50 consultation and €2.40 for tablet. Total €18.90 and fully checked, stamped etc.
Hi,
Looking to get a vet sorted, was the 1 in Arques the 1 at 34 Ave General de Gaulle with parking 100 metres away at Lidl?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
indeed...

vet in Honfleur

bill for two small dogs .. one had an injection rather than tablet, which was an extra €10 ..

Total €108.61

That's trendy Honfleur for you.
We took our Westie to a vet in Amboise and stopped at the 'Camping Phare' site at Honfleur on our last night. After dinner in the m/h we wandered down to the quay and had 3 single brandies. 28 Euros.
Luckily we didn't need worming.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Great vet in Bruges, he never even got out of his chair, let the nurse pet my dog while he filled in passport.
I offered him our own worming tablet and he shrugged and said as only a Frenchman can, no need, give it him when it's due.
20 euro, thankyou very much. He would also date the thing as appropriate if we were traveling that day !
PM me if you want his details

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
All worked good, spent a night at Camping Barcelona and caught their free shuttle bus to Mataró and the nice vet charged us €7 for a wormer and filling out the paperwork so well chuffed.

Only Drama, when we got to Eurotunnel pet centre were advised error on passport!!!!!!!

Scary moment thinking our faithful pooch would end up in quarantine but thankfully he said one digit was missing from chip number so vet would need to correct it when we got home.

So thankfully all home safe and sound

Upvote 0

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Scary moment thinking our faithful pooch would end up in quarantine but thankfully he said one digit was missing from chip number so vet would need to correct it when we got home.

You were lucky. We were once refused passage at the Calais side as our vet has inadvertently transposed 2 digits of the microchip number on the passport. We had to go to a vet in Calais, get them to read the chip number, correct it on the passport and stamp & sign it. Needless to say we missed our crossing and were €11 lighter in vet fees. It was obviously our own vets fault, but we'd been to and from France many times with that passport and no-one had picked it up before :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
We were once refused passage at the Calais side as our vet has inadvertently transposed 2 digits of the microchip number on the passport. We had to go to a vet in Calais, get them to read the chip number, correct it on the passport and stamp & sign it.

That is awful but at least you were able to get it altered I feared worse than that.

That was my next question, can the passport be altered.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Had ours done in Denmark, twice. Outward bound going into Norway and on our return to the UK. Both of them walk in and did it straight away. On the way out we even bought extra meds as her script had changed at the last minute and we hadn't time to get them in the UK.

Upvote 0

Farside1

Free Member
Jul 18, 2018
Bur ham on sea
Funster No
MH
Citron Relay conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Depending on which route and the pace of travel home we regularly use one of 3 vets - Valras Plage on the Med: La Flotte, Ile de Re: or Amsterdam. They usually cost between €15 - €25 and know precisely what's required.

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Great vet in Bruges, he never even got out of his chair, let the nurse pet my dog while he filled in passport.
I offered him our own worming tablet and he shrugged and said as only a Frenchman can, no need, give it him when it's due.
20 euro, thankyou very much. He would also date the thing as appropriate if we were traveling that day !
PM me if you want his details
Same one I mentioned earlier. Don’t mention it to @Camdoon

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Same one I mentioned earlier. Don’t mention it to @Camdoon
I would not want to circumvent Government regulations but we are all different. If he is prepared to cheat on that then what else is he disinterestd in. I'll stick to a professional for my dog.

Upvote 0

DaisyD

Free Member
Jul 20, 2018
Funster No
Just visited Cristian Marks in Bernkastel-Kues on Wednesday.......phoned in advance, told could just get 'walk in' service.
Passport completed, dog given worming tablet, great chat with Cristian about everything going on in the world.....all for €8.
Easy parking within 100 meters......thoroughly recommended if in Mosel area.
Just don't go to the vet in Cochem - Frank Feiden he charged us 88 euros !!! for two dogs, hadn't filled out the health check bit, so I had to go back in and ask. He was rough as hell, almost brutal with our two Manchester terriers, and there is no way I would attempt to get to his practice in a motorhome - we were in a big 4x4 and the hairpins and narrow roads were not fun. Hard to park too.

Upvote 0

DaisyD

Free Member
Jul 20, 2018
Funster No
I would not want to circumvent Government regulations but we are all different. If he is prepared to cheat on that then what else is he disinterestd in. I'll stick to a professional for my dog.
Quite honestly that is closer to what is genuinely needed. Tapeworm infestation exists in UK dogs as well, and as long as the rabies jab is up to date, that is the only thing that matters. Rabies is incredibly rare anyway and I thin I am right that France at least is free of it at the moment ? Our local French vet gives me the tablet to give to the dog when I want - if asked I would of course say I had given it that day ;-)

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Quite honestly that is closer to what is genuinely needed. Tapeworm infestation exists in UK dogs as well, and as long as the rabies jab is up to date, that is the only thing that matters. Rabies is incredibly rare anyway and I think I am right that France at least is free of it at the moment ? Our local French vet gives me the tablet to give to the dog when I want - if asked I would of course say I had given it that day ;-)
Your dog, your risk.

Upvote 0

DaisyD

Free Member
Jul 20, 2018
Funster No
Your dog, your risk.
Rest assured I am NOT suggesting anybody take any kind of risk by not having a rabies jab ! It is important, though it's worth noting that since 2007 it is not necessary to have your dog vaccinated against rabies if you live in France, only if you are going to travel outside of the country. https://www.anivetvoyage.com/conseils-sante/vaccin/96-vaccin-rage.html

The worming treatment, rather like the old requirement for a dog to have to be treated against ticks and fleas, is another matter. I have been forced to travel to UK several times, just a month or so apart, and I would rather not re-worm my dogs unnecessarily. I don't think on that score that the vet is being 'unprofessional', more realising that if the dog is already up to date with it's worming regime it's just a bit of a silly rule.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back