Getting dog wormed for entry back to UK (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Just wondering, is it only vets local to Calais who are familiar with the whole worming and stamping passport or are all vets familiar with the procedure including those in Spain.

Staying near Barcelona and will be travelling back over 4 days which is within the required 5 days so seems like it would be easier to book an appointment for our last day but would officials in France accept a Spanish stamp.

Probably over worrying things but our first trip to Europe in Moho

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
You can get it done anywhere in France but don’t forget you have to wait 24 hours before you can catch the ferry/tunnel.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Anywhere. We've used vets all over France and one in Belgium

If you were going on a very short trip you can even get it done in the UK before you leave.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Any vet. One in Spain will be fine. We avoid the ones in Calais, as they are the ones who charge to most in our experience, and the fact you must have it 24hrs before your crossing.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
My understanding is they should be wormed between 24 hours and 5 days of arrival into uk.
My vet was approx 300 miles from cherbourg. Eur37 with worming injection.
He thoroughly checked passport with me.
Better u understanding than most uk vets I've seen.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
My advice would be to get and keep receipt, and also that you check what the vet has written in the passport before you leave the vets surgery

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
He thoroughly checked passport with me.
Better u understanding than most uk vets I've seen.

Our Local vet wormed her for a four day trip to Ireland that wasn’t needed. They got the rule about five days right but no requirement for worming in return from Ireland.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
Thanks everyone, sounds like finding and booking a vet appointment for the last day in Spain is easiest option.

Sounds easier than stopping in a random town on route and hoping they can fit us in.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Also cheaper, vets in Spain charge as little as 15euro as against 40 in france.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We usually go to a rural vet - the last time in France we were charged 16 euro. We just give them a call when we're on our on our way and been seen pretty much immediately.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Also cheaper, vets in Spain charge as little as 15euro as against 40 in france.

indeed...

vet in Honfleur

bill for two small dogs .. one had an injection rather than tablet, which was an extra €10 ..

Total €108.61

Untitled.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Just wondering, is it only vets local to Calais who are familiar with the whole worming and stamping passport or are all vets familiar with the procedure including those in Spain.

Staying near Barcelona and will be travelling back over 4 days which is within the required 5 days so seems like it would be easier to book an appointment for our last day but would officials in France accept a Spanish stamp.

Probably over worrying things but our first trip to Europe in Moho

It's the UK that are concerned whether everything is in order.
I use Mailleraye sur Seine and Vet 100yds from Calais aire for my Staffie.
Both charge €30 so not over priced. Just walk in at Calais and wait, check in morning when vet at Mailleraye is in.

vet.jpg

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
would officials in France accept a Spanish stamp.

Its the UK that insist on your dog being wormed in order to return to the UK. France, Spain, etc don't have that requirement which is why you don't have to have proof of worming for entry into those countries.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We just drop a pin on Google maps where we expect to be the following afternoon and put vet in the search box it will usually come back with a few then we phone for price and appointment
We've paid as much as 45 for one dog and as little as 10

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We buy our own worming tablets on line as they are a lot cheaper than from the vet then usually find a vet somewhere near our route back to the tunnel.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Vet in Mailleraye s/ Seine was 15€ March2018 for our Jack Russel, I took a tablet from UK, and Vet is usually in PM but you can email for appt.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Over the years we've had our dogs wormed in France, Italy, Switzerland, Greece and Belgium. Costs varied enormously - the most expensive was France, the least was Belgium. Most vets, if not all, are aware of the UK passport requirements, and although they mostly think it's a stupid requirement they understand that it has to be done.

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We used to use a vet in Belgium who asked when the dog was last wormed and advised no requirement to re-worm than asked what date and time we wanted on the passport all for 25 Euros...brilliant service!

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have always found the vets in France are very helpful and know all about the requirements for the pet passport.

We always take our own worming tablets in with us, which are the ones we get from our own vet.

Always check what that they have written, as we know someone who got to the port and was turned away because the date was wrong.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Compare that to the nice Mr Christian Marks from Berkastel kues who signed my dogs passport, gave him worming tablet and 1 injection for Tick bight + (2 to take away to administer myself) all for 16 euros and all his jokes where FREE of charge

indeed...

vet in Honfleur

bill for two small dogs .. one had an injection rather than tablet, which was an extra €10 ..

Total €108.61

View attachment 237568

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2012
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 728G
Exp
March 16
Just visited Cristian Marks in Bernkastel-Kues on Wednesday.......phoned in advance, told could just get 'walk in' service.
Passport completed, dog given worming tablet, great chat with Cristian about everything going on in the world.....all for €8.
Easy parking within 100 meters......thoroughly recommended if in Mosel area.

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
We used to use a vet in Belgium who asked when the dog was last wormed and advised no requirement to re-worm than asked what date and time we wanted on the passport all for 25 Euros...brilliant service!
Cant abide firms that do that a receipt for stating something has been done and it not being done personal opinion though

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Cant abide firms that do that a receipt for stating something has been done and it not being done personal opinion though
It saved me time and the inconvenience of the bureaucratic nightmare which is the Pets Passport. Never spoke to a vet who agrees or values its worth with regard to the re-entry procedure. But I respect your personal opinion.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
We visited the Vet in Ribeauville on Weds,using their wormer €40.
The surgery is behind a Le Clerc but also able to park outside.Vet was very nice and spoke English,we made an appointment but also able to drop in,details on website.She did a full health check including temperature,listened to chest and heart,weight,eyes teeth etc
http://www.vetoribo.com/

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The injection is more expensive and quite painful so try to get them to use the tablet if possible. You don't want your dog to fear going to the vet.
It was more expensive. However we took Pepper to the vet in Arques on Wednesday and he's seen her before. He did say that the injection is now illegal in France. I can't confirm that but that's what the vet said. €18.90 for Pepper. Cousin also came with us and was €36 for a Great Dane. Can't argue with that.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We buy our own worming tablets on line as they are a lot cheaper than from the vet then usually find a vet somewhere near our route back to the tunnel.
Not all French vets accept your own tablets. Obviously would be cheaper if they accept. However, Wednesday visit to vet in Arques. €16.50 consultation and €2.40 for tablet. Total €18.90 and fully checked, stamped etc.

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
It saved me time and the inconvenience of the bureaucratic nightmare which is the Pets Passport. Never spoke to a vet who agrees or values its worth with regard to the re-entry procedure. But I respect your personal opinion.
That's the equivalent of the Remoaners who only find people in the EU who think the UK is making a terrible mistake by leaving and Brexiteers who only meet people who wish their country would leave as well. I would never deal with a professional who does not follow regulations. Never heard of anyone else having nightmares over these procedures. Can remember when their was a rabies outbreak and all animals in an area being shot which is more nightmare inducing.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back