Getting better (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I was overcome with a bout of giddiness whilst away this weekend. I’m not looking for sympathy here, I’m merely reporting an interesting consequence:

My outward journey of 125miles took 2.5hours and the onboard computer advised 27mpg on arrival.

I hadn’t been sure if I’d be fit to return today but, after composing myself, set off cautiously. The return trip was taken comparatively steadily, avoiding sharp turns or rapid acceleration. Having completed it without incident, the computer claimed 31mpg.

Judging by the level of fuel gauge, it seems credible, but the journey took nearly an hour longer. It just goes to show what a lighter foot (or head?) can do for fuel consumption!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi rogher, hope you are feeling better now with no more giddy spells.
Just a thought, have you checked your CO detector in the van? Could it have been carbon monoxide poisoning from the engine exhaust gasses entering the van whilst driving? Or fumes from fridge on gas whilst running? That was my first thought as I guess you felt OK before leaving home, but felt dizzy on arrival. But the fact that you felt OK on the slower drive home may eliminate this, but just thought I would mention it.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I always drive steadily in the motorhome. I feel that if I am on holiday or a break relaxing is more important than working to a deadline. I have enough of that at work. Interestingly, the on-board computer is showing an average of 41 mpg for our new MH since it arrived in April. I actually don’t believe it but I do instinctively feel that the economy is pretty good, perhaps in the mid-thirties. Maybe something to do with the Euro 6 engine? Hope you don’t have a recurrence of the giddiness.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hope your now fully recovered.(y)

We usually toddle along around 55-60 in the van. If we want to get somewhere early then we set off earlier.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hi rogher, hope you are feeling better now with no more giddy spells.
Just a thought, have you checked your CO detector in the van? Could it have been carbon monoxide poisoning from the engine exhaust gasses entering the van whilst driving? Or fumes from fridge on gas whilst running? That was my first thought as I guess you felt OK before leaving home, but felt dizzy on arrival. But the fact that you felt OK on the slower drive home may eliminate this, but just thought I would mention it.
That crossed my mind, too, but the dizziness came on mid-day on Sat, whilst we were out. No nausea, and as it happened, we had both consumed identical food & drink. Still a bit queasy this morning, to my disappointment. Got a booking for the Quack this morning. Really surprised about that because I'd thought the queues were usually days long. maybe something to do with half term?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Id still check the co2 monitor to be on the safe side. Hope you feel better soon.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hope your now fully recovered.(y)

We usually toddle along around 55-60 in the van. If we want to get somewhere early then we set off earlier.

Judging from the times of a couple of posts, I can see who the early risers are!
We tend to get up with the sun and go to bed early, to make the most of the daylight. Hardly ever watch TV (only put one in because there was an empty cupboard and wiring expecting one to be there).
I have the (Fiat) speed warning set at 60mph, just to remind me if I get that fast, but normally trundle along with the trucks. I can find myself going faster, sometimes, being 'sucked' along by other traffic. It is surprising what a lighter foot can do, though.
I'll be happy with 30mpg. I remember the days when that was good for a car! 40mpg? I wish!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Lots of things can cause a dizzy spell. Glad you are having a check up just in case.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry internet playing up this morning.......

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You often wonder when your journey might come to an end. I'm pleased to say that my Quack reckons I've got at least another week to go as he's given me another appointment. He agreed: not CO poisoning.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Glad you are feeling better.

And, as your experience 'might' suggest, you can increase fuel consumption significantly by travelling slower.

However, the other factor that can hugely affect fuel consumption difference, between an outward and return journey, along the same route, is the weather conditions. The wind strength and direction is particularly significant; and to some extent the temperature and precipitation too.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Also, up or down hill (overall and gradients in general).
Slipstreaming can help, although I did none of that on the return journey. Really slow around roundabouts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back