Get To Calais Then Chose Turn Right Or Left (or Both) (1 Viewer)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Just remembered. I think the pizza van calls in on a Friday & Saturday evening as well - seemed very popular with the locals

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
User error in my above post :( question is for DavidG58, loving reading about your trip.

Karen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Marboue is free @DavidG58 it is left turn straight after the bridge over the river and then keep left, one way system takes you out when you leave.

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Well the vet 'planning' did not go exactly to plan, found a couple in Chateaudun, en route through to Marboue, perfect, Bev decides to call ahead to book

We now get a recorded message with an alternative number, realise it is still lunchtime in France, so wait till after 3 and try again, same message, now not sure if it a vets message or a Vodafone message telling us we are using our phone wrong (been there before) so decide it is too complicated to take down the alternative number, we might as well just drive there. A google reference to one in Chateaudun put it adjacent to Le Clerc, also useful for shopping (y)(y)

well we found Le Clerc, possibly slightly larger than the one I thought was the largest I had seen near Archachon, but could we chuff as like find the vets. So Bev goes off in search on foot, we have the address which is the same road we are on, how hard can it be. I walk Lola, and notice Bev has accosted to 'locals' she hopes for assistance, loads of shrugging and arm movements, but no obvious signs of success. I look over road and see Vetinaire, call Bev and point, the French lady says 'Oh Vetinaire' :LOL::LOL::LOL:

So we now drive over and find it shuttered up, they close all day Friday, never mind back to the other address, program that into TT, she has a fit and tries to send us up a few private drives, then after some ignoring, we find ourselves outside another vetinaire, equally well shuttered up

Only in France could both vets in the same town close on same day, so now we are back in Le Clerc car park, Bev has gone for retail therapy, I am getting MHF therapy, joining her in 30 minutes

Then I think we will try the aire at Marboue and come back here early tomorrow

Even by my standards we are now cutting it fine, the tablet and inspection must take place at least 24 hours before crossing back to UK, we have a 11:00 chunnel booked on Sunday :unsure::unsure:

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
There is a Vet in Marquise that we use 20mins from tunnel

tel no. 33321928912 co-ords N.50deg.48.79' E 1 deg.41.98'
9 Ave Faber
62250 Marquise

you park in the supermarket next door , the Clinique is a small white building other side of the car park to the supermarket.

hope this helps they are quite good if you go in without an appointment but I wouldnt leave it until the last 24 hours before you try in case you have to go next day.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For anyone else returning from twin lakes with dogs there is an excellent vets just on the road into montandre, parking right outside or across the road, English speaking, easy to get to and it's done with.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
For anyone else returning from twin lakes with dogs there is an excellent vets just on the road into montandre, parking right outside or across the road, English speaking, easy to get to and it's done with.

There is nothing like feeling told off :D:D

for the record we left Twin Lakes on Tuesday so would have been too early still for us, but I am happy to be told by more then just Bev that we rather left it late this time

On the aire at Marboue, massively over subscribed as seems to be the norm, we are parked up right at the end with what might be a travelling section, they look friendly enough though :)

Anybody else coming in here it is worth a good look from the 910 first if travelling north, there seems to be a good section for over flow immediately as you come into the aire area, it might even have been the original aire. I would have stopped there if I had seen my potential neighbours. 3 more have driven through already and gone on, or maybe have done a loop and are now back at the front bit

Our route here from Chateaudun took us past the aire there, I think the british MH must have thought I was mad to just drive right past, but that was also already overloaded, although that aire effectively has a duplicate area immediately behind the official one

I am still not sure that aires are for us, last night was brilliant, right in town bars and pizza within 50 yds, here there appears to be nothing at all, but just going to walk and look, also look for exit via the road we came in on, seemed slightly complex entry and where are parked a right turn and carry on out on the same road we came in on makes best sense

Dog walk and visual inspection required (I was trying to write reccae/ recce / reconnoitre, but couldn't think how to shorten it, none look right)

A beautiful sunny end to the day, if only the vets was sorted and we weren't on our way home life would be brill, but technically if we weren't on our way home we would not need a vets :LOL::LOL:and home isn't so bad :)

(y)

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 11

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

Not sure what you will find in the town, we are usually there on a Sunday and find nothing.

Exit is just keep going on the one way system turn right and right again and then it should be a left back onto the main road. Tomorrow you might just see your biggest ever Le Clerc but it might not be finished yet.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
internet is too slow here for photos, I will load them when I can, pretty little place, but no bars or shops, not for us next time, also just down wind of sewage works which is less than 100yds away. Early night, we must be gone for 8 to hopefully get to vets in time for morning appointment

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Seen a few nice birds this trip, unfortunately usually while driving so no photos

A lot of back kite around Bordeaux, a black red start at Twin Lakes and a few others in same area and best of all a superb view of a hen harrier today flying more or less alongside us for 200m or so :)

this seemingly random post was prompted by yet another cuckoo nearby and a bloody peacock that I do hope is going to go to sleep soon

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So, alarm set for early start today, we really need to resolve the vet issue, plan to be parked outside the one we found yesterday in Chateaudun when they open at 8:30. Set my alarm for 7:30. Absolutely no need

Our 'traveller' friends next door and around us, (traveller is probably not true but they have an awful lot of people per motorhome) anyway three cars turn up at 6:30 doors open close several times then it goes quiet again, time for a few more minutes

Apart from the cacophony of birds, bloody peacock first, closely followed by a local cockerel, then a green woodpecker. Might as well get up at 6:45

So we did, 2 cups of coffee pack away and head off, in the theme of this thread, we should be turning north off the aire, but we are going back south :D:D

08:00 parked up outside the vets next Le Clerc, which is technically in St Denis les Ponts, a suburb of Chateaudun, to be continued ............

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
:)
So parked up outside the vets at 8:00 was fine, but at 8:30 place should be open no sign of anybody, shutters still down, not looking good. Then three cars turn up all with animals inside, sort of looks better, then shutters go up and they go in

So Bev goes in and is already fourth in queue, we had been told they spoke English, but Bevs French was better than their English, but a customer had better franglais than either of them and it worked.

However we were told they were full, but they would fit us in between others, Bev offered to wait inside and was told they would get us from MH which was right outside, so we wait, no idea how long for, but we really do not have much choice

Anyway, 10 minutes later they came out to get us, we are now all sorted

IMG_0569.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG

31 euros, nice place lovely female vets, great service, will now be a regular stop off for us, with appointment made in advance!! (y)(y)(y):)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
well on way now, considering we usually never get away from a site or aire till after 10, we are positively early :D

Been past what now really must be the biggest Le Clerc in France just south of Chartres, I presume Martin @funflair that was the one you were talking about, now fully open, few sulks from Bev as we passed it by :LOL:

Phil @Taran_Las we doing the Dreux Rouen section this morning, currently parked on a road adjacent to the N154 couldn't find an aire needed breakfast, what a great little spot. Not only got a private space, nice view, but also had an amazing sight of another Hen Harrier. Distant by the time I got my camera sorted, but lovely sight

IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

taken on full zoom from a good 200m away, hoping it will return before we move on

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On our way to Embry aire tonight, last night, bit sad, but loads to do at home

Embry was mentioned by someone on here as their favourite aire, I have also read similar comment via Google, hope it is worthy of our last sleep :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We are now at Embry, although I know we are still in France we could just as easily be in Kent, effectively a CL, 7 euros a night to be collected personally, a proper toilet block, 2 showers but need to pay, electrics if wanted (pay)

A rural village location about 50 miles from Calais, not sure I would bother coming so far out again, but a pretty site, makes a change from road side aires

IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG

Lola I think is still sulking from the vets this morning but I found a meat pizza slice from our local pet shop in the drawer, so at least she loves me again :D Bev took her in on her own :LOL:

Just the last dash back to the tunnel in morning, 40 miles or so, then apart from the worst drive of the journey Folkestone to home, it is all over again :(:(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Safe journey home. Sad your blog is coming to an end . Ihave enjoyed saving up a day or twos worth then having more to read :D

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
What you really need is for Bev to enter retirement. Managed to get my OH to retire last year after I had been for 4 years. Now away lots and just waiting for Tuesday as we are away for 8 weeks in France and Spain (if we get that far). Just finished last minute fixes and loading.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just a little update on our internet access

we have three options

1. mifi, with 3 UK sim card allowing overseas useage, we topped up with 8Gb data as we left cost £25, not easy to see what is used / left, but still going strong and has worked in most places

2. iBoost allows access to weak wifi, free or chargeable, worked well in Gouda, couldn't find Twin Lakes wifi, not really used apart from there

3. my Vodafone contract allows UK useage but adds £3 / day used, that would be for 1 text or loads plus calls plus data. However just had a text to say I have nearly used my 1Gb allowance already this month, it resets on 1st. Rob dogging gits that Voda are, I have hardly touched my data options, but have used on occasion when mifi was struggling, nomway to prove useage though

not cheap to stay in touch but as part of whole trip not really that bad, probably spent about £50 in 16 nights

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Thanks so much for this journal.
I have searched for the latest offering every time I come online.
You're sad to be going home and I am too.
Has been a great blog.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Thanks again for an entertaining trip,:)

and welcome back(y);)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back