Get To Calais Then Chose Turn Right Or Left (or Both) (1 Viewer)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we are glad you are on your way. you are making us green with envy. mine is on our drive. with no sump on it. it had a leak. so my son has taken it of. now waiting for a gasket. hope to be up and running by the weekend.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So, we sort of planned an early start today, it was never going to happen, I really don't do early anyway, certainly not on holiday

But we did wake up soon after 8, so I walked Lola along the riverside at Boussois aire, we opened a new chocolate brioche for breakfast, a Auchan own brand, very disappointing, normally soft and moist, this was really dry and not worth the effort, had with 2 cups of coffee, not the best start, but then...

Walked past the control panel and saw 11.9V on the cab battery, I keep a casual look at it due to flat battery issues in the past, then realised I had plugged in our new multiway 12V / USB adaptor to the live 12V socket, which I already know to my cost runs from the cab battery

I tried to hide my fear, but Bev twigs most things I try to hide, so I came clean, went to try starting, not even a click, no problem I bought a set of jump leads for just this event following my last 'error', never thought to try them, cant get near the positive terminals, so still no start. Bev offers to go and find a garage @Terry you are right we do have RAC cover for Europe, but having called them out twice already for a flat battery I am saving them for something more serious, which I hope we never need

So as reported earlier Bev sorted a jump start and under threat of death we dumped a refilled without turning engine off, much to the disgust of a French woman we had to wait for, I had to get out to explain, then she turned from snotty to lovely, I hope I got the French somewhere near right :)

Headed off, only an hour late, but with a 280 mile drive planned, much more than I like to do in a day, but at some point this week we need to catch up a bit to make Twin Lakes for a revised Saturday arrival to meet a couple of rellies who have impulsively decided to fly out and join us.

280 miles away is Sully sur Loire, we have stayed in a hotel there a few times years ago, overlooking the chateau, now we are overlooking the hotel (in the background in the photo) and paying nothing at all for the privilege, not quite as good a view of the chateau, but a nicer view of the river

IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG

A lovely site, it is raining too much to tempt us to walk out for food, but we have plenty in, so fed and now on second G + T, nothing plugged in where it shouldn't be :LOL::LOL:

Early night, scheduled stop for tomorrow is Oradour sur Glane, a whole story in itself, anybody not heard of it, google the name, an awful Nazi atrocity, nice new town has been built with one of the nicest aires we have ever seen.

Back tomorrow (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David if the battery is anything like Simons (dabhand) van I'll give you a battery but you fit it I am not :D It took me all I could do to reach it with the jump leads -god knows how they change the battery :)
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Friday morning, dull grey and heavy rain, it has not let up all night, so we decide coffee and go

Follow sign for sortie, which leads up to where the aire actually is, we were diverted on to the riverside are a where we parked with about 30 other motorhomes, I did wonder why there was a 30 van limit when the area could easily hold 200, now we know

The details in the aires book made reference to a funny chicane entrance, it certainly is, I am not sure we would have got in. So next time we might try the right place :D but the large field area worked well for us (y)

Set off with the usual battle between the holder of the map book, my beloved Bev and the female inside my Tom Tom, which Bev repeatedly says we don't even need turned on :) Bev wins and we head off on the straightest road we have ever seen, we love the roads in France and there are many that are straight for mile after mile, often only broken by slight rises in the road, when you go over you get another few miles dead straight. This was like that, TT says roundabout in 4.7 miles and I swear I could see if my eyes were good enough

Then checked fuel gauge, we always seem to be low, just over a 1/4 tank so enough for 80 odd miles, but I am sure there are far less petrol stations than there used to be, after 15 miles no sign of fuel, light not on yet but you know that it isn't far away, 15 more miles, still no light but we are in sight of a Super U, so in we go.

I am a massive fan of cash, you always know where you are, but this is one of those dreaded livre service jobs, fully auto (remember @Terry with his issues :LOL::LOL:) well we were just about to have the same problems. Put card in, type pin, nothing, try again, still nothing, now I recall Terry saying you remove card to get fuel, not for us. Then a man comes to the next pump, Bev gives it her best French to ask if she can watch what he does, you really have to hope we get the translation right :), but we watch and don't learn right, still nothing. Then bless him he now comes to help, no wonder I was confused, you put card in, then pump number, then the fuel you want then something else, then your pin number. This time of course it works (y)(y)

Off we go, with continued debate between Bev and TT, Bev winning every time today, I am still in creep mode

Now in search of a Hypermarket, Bev loves them, it should just about level up my indebtedness for now

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@DavidG58

After your original flat battery I was going to tell you that I carry a battery charger and extension cable so I can run it off the inverter from the leisure batteries, but then I thought "well he won't be daft enough to do that again" so I didn't bother.

This time I should also tell you that I also carry a 10 litre plastic can of diesel after getting the sweaty palms light on syndrome in France a few years ago.

There again without all your little disasters how would we all entertain ourselves.

Have FUN.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Is it cukoo day today? Heard the first one of the year walking the dogs by Portland College in Harlow Wood this morning :)

Glad Bev isn't the only one that dislikes the sat nav woman:D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58

After your original flat battery I was going to tell you that I carry a battery charger and extension cable so I can run it off the inverter from the leisure batteries, but then I thought "well he won't be daft enough to do that again" so I didn't bother.

This time I should also tell you that I also carry a 10 litre plastic can of diesel after getting the sweaty palms light on syndrome in France a few years ago.

There again without all your little disasters how would we all entertain ourselves.

Have FUN.

Thanks Martin, charger is a good idea, but I never got round to sorting out an inverter, our little 300W wouldn't cope, inverter is definitely on the to do list when back, and rewire that bloody live socket to hab battery :LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have arrived at the aire at Oradour sur Glane, so disappointing, we popped in here 3 years ago drove through stopped for a couple of hours, thought how nice it had been done, individual pitches, sort of wedge shapes, with bushes in between

Whether it got abused in some way, but it is totally changed, still the same place but just all concreted, maybe it my memory, or just the grey gloomy weather, but it has little appeal now, are considering moving on
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0511.JPG

Doesn't look so bad in the photos, might stay :LOL::LOL:

On a positive note, the E + P levelling is doing a good job, why when they lay the surface they couldn't have got it a little more level though I really don't know

Oh and 1st May is a public holiday over here, no shops open hardly anywhere

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Looks pretty much as I remember it
Only wetter

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Martin, charger is a good idea, but I never got round to sorting out an inverter, our little 300W wouldn't cope, inverter is definitely on the to do list when back, and rewire that bloody live socket to hab battery :LOL::LOL:

@DavidG58 You should have paid more attention to my lesson on power Watts, Amps, Volts, etc, your 300watt should give you 20 amps at 12 volts no problem.

Plug it into the leisure though(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58 You should have paid more attention to my lesson on power Watts, Amps, Volts, etc, your 300watt should give you 20 amps at 12 volts no problem.

Plug it into the leisure though(y)

I will save it for a face to face chat, but are saying that my poxy little 300W 12V input 240V output will have enough umph to run a half decent battery charger?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
so, based on a regular comment on here, if you not happy where you are move on, there will another aire close by. We are only about 20 miles further on, a little town with a by pass so nice and quiet. Chasseneuif - sur - Bonnieure, have you been here already @jay :D:D

IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG

still pouring down even had to have wipers on double speed, that's just not right on holiday

plus sides for this aire, dead convenient for shops, 50ft from Champion and if I get a battery issue there is a 240V option :LOL::LOL: could be 2 euros well spent (if needed) (y)

Please let the sunshine tomorrow, we move on to Twin Lakes (via Hypermarket) I am still in debt :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I will save it for a face to face chat, but are saying that my poxy little 300W 12V input 240V output will have enough umph to run a half decent battery charger?

Amps=watts/volts so therefore 300/12=25 so you could safely put 20 amps in.

Let's go over it with a glass of red at the Fix it.

Keep the rain your side of the pond if you don't mind.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
We got caught out by the bank holiday as well. We arrived at Twin Lakes, got settled in, then went into Montendre to replenish supplies. A wet Friday bank holiday afternoon in Montendre is like a wet Sunday afternoon in 1050s Britain. If a mouse had crossed the road, you would have heard the patter of its tiny feet.

I am staving of further raids on my dwindling beer supplies by the promise of a visit to the camp bar a little later to help JaG celebrate their wedding anniversary.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Good morning all

Parked up next to a Champion last night, so breakfast was sorted for an early start, or was it

I wandered over at 08:15, doesn't open till 09:00, never mind we can tidy up ready to move and wait a while, at 09:00 I join the queue, in we go, they don't sell bread :mad: now we have had that before when there is a boulangerie next door, but that is not the case

So back to MH, Bev offers to pop out and find bread, 10 minutes later, she is back beaming, not only has she got bread she has bought so sandals, double result

Breakfast consumed we head off for the first time in days not in the rain, Tom Tom is already trying to upset Bev this time even I wasn't playing and we both ignored her. Saw a fuel station and based on yesterdays issues although only just under half a tank left I am filling up :):)

On to dual carriageway, not only no rain, but a dry line forming in lane 1 and I can actually see something in my rear view camera :)

Now pulled off at Angouleme for the Hypermarket bit, given Bev a 15 min head start while bring you lot up to speed, then in to get the essential alcohol to see us through the first couple of nights at Twin Lakes :D

Plus some more Lays crisps, although we have been assured they are Walkers they taste so much better on holiday, and I had forgotten how much I like pistachios, I know we can get them at home, but they are better suited to eating outside, with the olives and 1664

:):):):):):):)

rain has just started again :(

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we arrived at Twin Lakes on Saturday, shopped up, pouring with rain again and it did not let up all day, rellies arrived in hire car, bit like tugging again, we have a car, so Bev has now out for more shopping that we almost certainly don't need (just in case stuff)

rain stopped around midnight and it progressively warmer through the night, windows open by 08:00, fresh bread sat outside under awning in bordering on bright conditions with some blue in the sky

IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0516.JPG

just been joined by a French MH, got out and started talking in broad English (ish) @Frentchy who lives in France had popped across with his wife and dogs for a look around, nice to meet you thanks for the tips on where to see and go

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
so, based on a regular comment on here, if you not happy where you are move on, there will another aire close by. We are only about 20 miles further on, a little town with a by pass so nice and quiet. Chasseneuif - sur - Bonnieure, have you been here already @jay :D:D

No, not been there,

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Yes indeed, withdrawal symptons are getting worse and worse.:(

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have had three great nights at Twin lakes, arrived in pouring rain, first day a wash out then ever better there after, we had Annie and Roger (rellies) fly out to Bordeaux and drive up to meet us at TL, weather has just kept getting better. we were only booked for three nights, could have happily stayed but Bev has to be back at work next week and I wanted to get have a look around

So we headed off for Archachon, been some time ago with caravan, so headed back for a site we have used before (albeit 12 years ago)the whole area is now much more commercial, but you cant do much to change the massive pile of sand they call Dunes de Pyla, the highest sand dune in Europe

So 120 miles or so south of TL, about 30 miles south of Bordeaux, e spot a Mac Donalds, unfortunately we see it just after a junction, but too tempting so next junction off and back. that's lunch out sorted :D:D

Then into a traffic jam near possibly the biggest Le Clerc I have ever seen, will try and sneak Bev past that on the way out :):), follow signs to Dune, it is still as big as I remember and impossible to miss, a few silhouetted figures up on top against a bright blue sky, then on to the site we used all those years ago, Pyla Panoramique. Every bit as good as I remember, loads of trees and ridiculously small pitches but it is quite quiet and loads of choice on a first come basis. Great facilities and with ACSI only 17 euros a night

IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Been to the site restaurant tonight, not cheap, but amazing view out over the sea, great service 100 euros for 4 main courses and a drink each, so back to MH for Rummiikub and Muscador, great rounding off of day, but then met with one of the best sunsets we have seen for a while

IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0531.JPG

Virtually our view from MH, first one has front end of N + B who parked while we were eating and nicked our view :mad::mad:

but a few paces to the right got the other shots

life is good :):):):)

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
We are off to Slovenia in July went last year but it was all part of a big tour, this year we get off of boat at Dunkirk then a night in Brussels Luxembourg Stuttgart , Salts burg, Ljubljana Slovenia, then 1hr to kamping Menina
,staying for 4 weeks then return same route, just 1,250 miles Lubly jubly

M

Madwife

Deleted User
it isn't us in the N&B!

We are in the middle of a very fierce storm here in Waterville with the mh rocking violently with the wind while the rain batters down. We are facing directly into the wind and if side on would be worse!

Glad to see you are having a great time and have a safe onward journey.

Kath

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
it isn't us in the N&B!

We are in the middle of a very fierce storm here in Waterville with the mh rocking violently with the wind while the rain batters down. We are facing directly into the wind and if side on would be worse!

Glad to see you are having a great time and have a safe onward journey.

Kath

All that spec and no E + P :):)

no rocking on ours now, but I do remember moving several times each night in Durness :D

Have fun, stay safe x (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Day 2 staying at Dunes de Pyla, amazing location, weather best yet, 18C at 10:00 breakfast sat out side what more could we need

Heard a commotion noticed somebody else (other than me) has not been too careful

IMG_0533.JPG

After watching his rescue went down to Archachon for a look round, very pleasant town, walked along the front, had some Churros, really what more could you need apart from a beer to wash them down, soon sorted that :)

Back to MH to plan return journey, chunnel booked for midday Sunday, nice gentle return, not done the route yet but hoping it fits nicely in to my preferred limit of 200 miles a day (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
while in Archachon saw this in the marina, squid like thing, but never seen anything like this, any ideas?

It was about 8" long and moved by sort of blowing itself up then deflating, any ideas?

It was virtually jet black

IMG_0536.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back