Get Revolution they said (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
It's good they said no fees they said blah blah blah.
Well thus far 1st transaction 35cent charge for $40 of gas 2nd transaction $5 charge for withdrawing $200 from Wells Fargo cashpoint.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Sorry to hear that i was having a good year so far , im sure you wont be penniless though , have a great time enjoy yourself (y)

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I tried it here in Thailand, cost 200 baht for ATM withdrawal =£4.50. I Don't think I shall bother with it again.
Mickey.

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Must be ways round it different banking machines etc. My nephews are holding plenty of folding so when they make a large purchase Iam going to pay using card and they can give be the cash job done

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
As they say where you are , have a nice day im off to my pit happy new year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
May bring this home

IMG_20161231_144811.jpg

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I have just a virtual Revalut ,not used it yet or applied for actual card (£5):xeek:
Reading all t&c's not impressed don't think I will be using it ,I'll stick with Clarity card for now .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I had all this last year deciding which card to have , havnt been to far away places, but went for Halifax clarity card, and used it in 5 European countries, didn't cost a penny , you have no faff filling it up as it's a credit card, don't have to pay it off for a month, worked everywhere, good conversion rate, all round winner, well satisfied:xThumb:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I used the revolut card last year in Hong kong and New zealand and it worked very well, if you go to an ATM that wants to charge you just cancel the transaction and find one that doesn't,
if you have let your cash get so low and you are desperate then you are a hostage to fortune and will have to accept the charge,
coming back via Hawaii and san francisco most of the ATM wanted to charge a couple of dollars but if you took out $300 or more at a time then i didn't consider it expensive IMO

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Now who was it that was singing the praises of this card not so long ago :xrofl:. I did say the Nationwide was free, but I was told I didnt know what I was talking about :xsmile:. Some things take time to sink in :xgrin:.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Do you need to be a Halifax customer to get one of them Clarity cards??

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Must be some armchair travellers here, who never actually use the card abroad!!!!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Do you need to be a Halifax customer to get one of them Clarity cards??
I have a Halifax Clarity card and I'm not and never have been a customer of Halifax.
However, when I spoke to them when applying for the card, I have to say that they were probably the best customer services I've spoken to. Very helpful and informative.
Simple answer @Bart, no.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Must be some armchair travellers here, who never actually use the card abroad!!!!!
As regards to my Halifax Clarity card, that is the ONLY card I use abroad. No transaction charge, no commission and better exchange rate.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I use both Caxton and Clarity card with absolutely no issues. A big thumbs up for the Clarity card as its got to be the best deal ever home or abroad..Roy

Have you used either in the USA Roy? That's where the OP has been using his card.

As has already been posted it's pretty much impossible to use an ATM there with any type of card without being charged.

Not sure how the Clarity card can be considered the "best" deal. It's fee free for transactions yes but you're charged interest immediately on withdrawing cash and the exchange rate is the MasterCard day rate which is quite a bit worse than the one used by Caxton which is worse again than Revolut.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Probably against their t&cs but I've preloaded my Clarity card before travel and use it in ATMs without charge and at cracking exchange rates. Any surplus credit I use up when I get home. Never had a problem, brilliant card and service, highly recommended.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'll be sticking with Revolut. I've used it in several countries with no issues apart from one ATM fault in Italy (not their fault) which they sorted quickly and efficiently.

The fee 2% ATM fee is irrelevant - it's more than covered by the huge advantage of exchanging currency when the rate is good. Their rate is consistently better than anyone elses and being able to buy when you want absolutely mashes using a Sterling credit card and putting up with whatever ridiculous rate they use when processing the transaction.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As regards to my Halifax Clarity card, that is the ONLY card I use abroad. No transaction charge, no commission and better exchange rate.

It's a worse rate than every currency card currently available.

On top of that you have to accept whatever the rate is when the transaction is processed rather than being able to exchange when you want to.

Example: The MasterCard Euro day rate for today is 1.1663 so if a transaction you made on your Clarity card was processed today that's the rate the would use. I still have Euros on my Revolut card that were purchased at 1.40 ish.

If we both made a purchase of €100 you would be paying £85.74 whereas I would be paying £71.42

Who's getting the better rate?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back