Germany - WW2 interest

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Big Nick, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Ratings:
    +322
    We are thinking of doing 1 week of our 3 week touring holiday in Germany with the other 2 weeks in France.

I'm quite familiar with France and where things are in relation to each other but don't have a clue with Germany having never been before.

I'm quite into WW2 history especially tank warfare so would like to combine some of that type of stuff into the week

Prefer not to do huge mileages every day if possible around 100 miles max so we can get pitched/parked up by lunchtime and use the afternoon for visiting somewhere and then the evening to relax

Can anyone with a similar interest who has toured Germany give me any pointers

TIA!

2. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Ratings:
    +12,952
  3. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,169
  4. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +21,155
    You can visit the Möhne dam, of dambusters fame, but there isn't much to see now. They repaired it.

What is interesting to see in Germany is how they rebuilt things so well after the war was over, at least in the west.

5. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Ratings:
    +18,181
    Up north on the North German Plain. Check my Spelling please "Falenbosel" could be " Falenbostel"

Also Paderborn, I, completely by mistake , attended a reunion of the "Paderborner Panzers" from memory, it was the 10th Panzer Armee , in the early 60s
    I was supposed to meet a mate I was in training with in a pub "alongside the Cathedral" (could have been church!) He didn't tell me which SIDE!! I walked in, spect I stood out like a spot on a domino, Any way they soon sussed I was a squaddie and good naturedly invited me to stay.

'spect @Tootles could tell you more cause he was once stationed there for a while

6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Ratings:
    +4,040
    If you're over that way the eagles nest is worth a trip up to and the museum at the bottom is also interesting

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +2,169
    Bastogne is well worth a visit. Loads of museum's dedicated to the battle of the bulge.

8. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +32,362
    Tanks? @Tootles might have some good ideas.......

9. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Ratings:
    +3,136
    Concentration camps and damms is all I remember of war time stuff when I was a kid.. Although lots of the then British barracks were German WW2 barracks but I'm not sure you can get in them.. I suspect wars are remembered more fondly by the winners..

10. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +4,850
    If you go to the east and further, into Poland, you could explore the old fortifications built in the late 1930s close to what was the old border between the two counties. If you find the fabled Nazi gold, we can go 50:50 ;)

http://polandpoland.com/miedzyrzecz_fortifications.html

11. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Funster

Ratings:
    +649
  12. bigalw35

bigalw35 Funster

Ratings:
    +160
    A few things, most of the concentration camps are still there and are open to the public (most are free entry) Colditz has been open to the public since the wall came down, the British are no longer in German barracks, generally the barracks are now occupied by the Dutch (since 2015, I think) they are NOT open to the public, security and all that

13. iLondoner

iLondoner Funster

Ratings:
    +59
    My father-in-law was in the Gordon Highlanders and was captured at Saint Valery a couple of weeks after Dunkirk. He spent the rest of the war as a POW and was in a Stalag XX-B sub-camp at Groudenz (now Grudziadz) in Poland. In Jan 1945 along with another 80,000 POWs in Poland he was marched 750km west through the depths of winter and ended up in Fallingbostel which at that time was Stalag XI-B POW camp, located close to Bergen Belsen concentration camp. When Hubert was liberated he weighed six stone and was flown home in a Lancaster.

Later on the POW camp became a British base but there's still a small museum onsite.

I did a tour of many POW camps, concentration camps and death camps in Poland, Czech Republic and Germany. I stayed overnight in Colditz—the German guard quarters is now a youth hostel.

On the way to Germany you might consider a visit to Hackenberg fort on the Maginot Line, see http://www.bunkertours.co.uk/the_maginot_line.htm#The Fortress of Hackenberg

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  14. bigalw35

bigalw35 Funster

Ratings:
    +160
    We actually go to Germany at least twice a year, where we go is ottingen, which is by Visselhovede, nearest town is Soltau, which is in the Luneberger Heiner, either way Bergen Belsen or Fallingbostel is about 20 k's. I visit Belsen every couple of years and Fallingbostel at least three times each visit. There is a very large camp/barracks almost next to Belsen, it used to be the home of the "Desert Rats", now transferred to the Dutch. There's an exceptional Greek restaurant we like in Fallingbostel, and as you enter Fallingbostel there's a "Boot station" (boat station & bar) where you can hire a canoe or pedalo for a trip up the river, and of course a beer and schnapps on your return, roll on June for our next visit

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. sylvester1954

sylvester1954 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,335
    Just developing your interest on tank warfare in WW2 ..have you come across the books writtten by Ken Tout who was with the 1st Northants Yeomanry serving in tanks. He was injured before he got beyond Holland but writes about the push through Germany (D Day to VE Day) and the detail should offer some locations. But also spend time with an earlier book of his (Tank 48 hours in August) a simply brilliant focus on his tank and crew in Normandy.

16. bigalw35

bigalw35 Funster

Ratings:
    +160
    • Like it Like it x 1
  17. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,312
    The area around Belgium where the Spa racecourse is ,there's a memorial to the yanks who where murdered by the SS and lots of tanks in various village s ,there's a good mark 1 tiger at a place called either the three bridges or the three rivers ,there are Sherman's ,self propelled guns and tigers all around that area ,and as already been mentioned Bastogne,

When you compare the tiger tanks to the Sherman's ,it makes you wonder why our crews even tried to take the tigers on

18. iLondoner

iLondoner Funster

Ratings:
    +59
    • Like it Like it x 1
  19. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,312
    i was most fortunate when i was there,i met a fellow biker and he was an amateur historian on the Battle of the Bulge,he took me on a tour and pointed out places where the US army held up the Germans ans he also took me to a German cemetary ,i counted the crosses and then realised that there were 6 germans to a cross ,later on that day we rode up a track in the forrest and then walked up to a grave of a US soldier ,the grave was kept in an immaculate condition by the locals ,the yank had apparently harrased the Germans single handedly before being killed.