Germany Tour 2019 inc Alpine Road Route (1 Viewer)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Did it on the Harley a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have any reservations about doing it in our 7.4m Moho. There is a shortcut from Wallgau (just above Krun) to Vorderriss (that I would probably give a miss in the Moho). It is a narrow but reasonably straight road that runs along the river Isar, with a little caution you should be alright. It however a TOLL road, not that expensive from memory.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Yep. Done it with our 7.5m A class. Ps. Love the Avatar!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
This is probably the ultimate mountain road in Europe. Its not where the italian job was filmed but along those lines.

https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/index

Very doable from berchtesgarten.

Jon

Agree on that, great road, more satisfying than the stelvio IMHO. The opening of the Italian job was filmed on the St Bernard pass in Aosta, Italy.

There is also a free Aire on top of the Großglockner, although there is a toll to use the road.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
On our todo list for this year as well
It was on last year's plan as well but we didn't get that far
Liked the places we stopped at further north and run out of time:)

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve been looking at Austria.

Do I need a toll vignette or just a normal vignette.

I’m confused.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp

I’m confused.
For our vans Alan, just the vignette.

I use the tolltickets site and have them here before I go, it’s something like €8-9 for 10 days

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

I’m confused.
Vignette is required in Austria to use the motorway. If plated up to 3,500kg, then cheap as chips - about £9 for ten days - buy sticker at various places, including some filling stations.

If over 3,500kg, then a bit more complicated and expensive I think? Apparently, need something called a Go Box?

No need to have one if not using motorways.

The Grossglockner Mountain Pass is a toll road, quite separate from the motorway vignette. Costs about 35 euro I believe?

Loved going over - did it June '17.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
For our vans Alan, just the vignette.

I use the tolltickets site and have them here before I go, it’s something like €8-9 for 10 days

The toll vignette isn’t additional to the ordinary vignette then.

Hows the van going, have you finished all your mods.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Vignette is required in Austria to use the motorway. If plated up to 3,500kg, then cheap as chips - about £9 for ten days - buy sticker at various places, including some filling stations.

If over 3,500kg, then a bit more complicated and expensive I think? Apparently, need something called a Go Box?

No need to have one if not using motorways.

The Grossglockner Mountain Pass is a toll road, quite separate from the motorway vignette. Costs about 35 euro I believe?

Loved going over - did it June '17.
If you are over 3500kgs its quite easy to get to grossglockner without having to use motorway s

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp

Vans going great, not an ounce of damp(y) I have found a few things I don’t like! Still on with the mods (alugas , towbar etc) was going to see if I can get a 14 and 11 kgs in (without the collar).

The vignette you need is just the same as the car vignette, (and there is cops at the entrance and exits to motorways, usually on the roundabouts to look as you’re slowing down, and yes I have seen them regularly) there’s a few tunnels that have a charge on them also the scenic roads have to to pay extra, ie großglockner, gerlos, nockhalmstrasse, villacherstrasse, other than that you’re good to go, use the toll tickets site and get what you need before you go(y)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp

Alugas in(y) managed a 14+11kg and BBQ point between hab door and passenger front door. Towbar on(y) moved the pump into the box where the boiler is.
Insulated the Alde boiler with foam panels over it but I’m not convinced it makes that much difference!! Ready for chester at the weekend and Germany/Switzerland/Austria in June and Germany/Austria/Slovenia in September:D(y)(y)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Pick your day to do the grossglockner pass.
I set of in glorious sunshine but most of the pass was in rain, cloud and drizzle. Disappointed to say the least :(
It can be done without using motorways to approach it.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Pick your day to do the grossglockner pass.
I set of in glorious sunshine but most of the pass was in rain, cloud and drizzle. Disappointed to say the least :(
It can be done without using motorways to approach it.
I go Austria every year on the Harley and yea you’re right about the weather, in sept if it’s cold and raining at the bottom good chance it’ll be snowing on top, we had a hotel booked at Heiligenblut and needed to go over top, it was raining at bottom, snow on top, had to double back to Mittersill and take the tunnel and go to heiligenblut from the bottom (Lienz) end.
It’s my first time in a Moho so we’ll see what it brings, I’m hoping for clear weather at night as we’re planning to stay at the Aire on top of the groß we want to see the stars without light pollution(y)

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
(y)(y)(y)
Alugas in(y) managed a 14+11kg and BBQ point between hab door and passenger front door. Towbar on(y) moved the pump into the box where the boiler is.
Insulated the Alde boiler with foam panels over it but I’m not convinced it makes that much difference!! Ready for chester at the weekend and Germany/Switzerland/Austria in June and Germany/Austria/Slovenia in September:D(y)(y)
Wow you have been busy, looks like you have some good trips planned as well. We was going to Chester last year but backed out at the last minute because it was a wash out, couldnt go this year due to on call commitments at work. Weather looks good for this year, so I expect it will be fun.

Why did you move the pump, was it to get your chairs in the locker.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
The pump in the new 255 is where I put mine, it’s next to the boiler as the water tank is now underneath, don’t know if that’s a good idea come winter, it’s got that foil lagging stuff on but like mine it’ll start falling to bits in a few years, don’t know what your waste tank lagging is like? Just looked at a new one at marquis, not getting one, was just passing(y)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We did a lot of the Alpinestrabbe last year in a 7.2 metre (its only 6.9 m if i go on a ferry) from Berchtesgaarden to as far as Fussen where we caught the Romantic road up northwards.
Berchtesgaarden area was not packed with aires and the news that there is one by the lake is bad news as no motorhomes signs are up for overnighting. Eagles nest, choose your time to go up there. Chiemsee was lovely and worthy of a couple of days stops with a mini Versailles which is part of a package you can get to do 3 of Ludwigs ii fairytale castles but via boat (9 euros hop on off) and includes Neuschwanstein (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)
The road is a piece of wee wee but is just a road which has been advertised. Nothing more special than most other roads.
The Glossglockner is a different kettle of fish. You can cross Austria on the Glossglockner without using motorways. You can stay up there all night if you can get to josefs hut before 1530 (at time of year we went (May)) and you will need a day to do the 35 kms and a fully charged camera and only on a beautiful day. Surprisingly my van was under 3500 kgs that day as i lied to get the cheaper rate.
Have done a few of the alpine routes including Grand St Bernard (Italian Job original) and GLossglockner is by far the superior so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back