Germany to Italy and back via Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 2015
My wife and I are planning to go to Italy via Belgium, Germany and possibly Austria. It will be our first trip this way in our 7 metre, 3,650 KG plated Auto-Trail Tracker. A number of forum threads have been really informative on vignettes and the Go Box as well as other issues. We will also be travelling with our Border Terrier.

So many things to take advice about please. We fancy some time in the Black Forest and a few days by the Bodensee. It is all weather dependent. If it is cool and wet we will move swiftly into Italy to find some sun..

I have looked at the advice for travelling toll free from Fussen to Bolzano and that has appeal but for speed if we want it, what is the motorway like from Innsbruck through Austria. I appreciate it is tolled. Is it a good route and what is the Brenner Pass like?

We are hoping to visit Lucca, San Gimignano and Siena. Possibly Lake Trasimeno too. On the return journey we have friends who live near Zurich so any advice on the best route out of Italy through Switzerland would be helpful.

Any campsite advice anywhere along this admittedly lengthy route would be appreciated. Given that we have our dog with us we need to have overnight stops where we can all walk into a village or small town.

Many thanks for any advice.

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
Hi Have been to some of the places that you want to visit and have also driven the non toll route from Fussen. If you click on to our website below then go to maps and click on the 2014 trip map. There you will find the places that we have stayed giving GPS,costs etc. Below the map is our itinerary and if you click on the date it goes to the relevant blog post. I hope that this may help.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
thing with Switzerland If you buy a vigenette it covers you for a year and includes all the tunnels and is a faster route. so worth doing both ways. You can go toll free via Austria but whats the point one way....especially if you have to get a go box:cautious:

not sure you will get away with a 3500 category but when you roll up at border they may well do If van not large. they caome to your window and exchange stiker for euros. If you want to saty at some Aires get some Swiss money as y0 will need coins

Love Tuscany! its a must do IMO sounds like a great plan:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I have looked at the advice for travelling toll free from Fussen to Bolzano and that has appeal but for speed if we want it, what is the motorway like from Innsbruck through Austria. I appreciate it is tolled. Is it a good route and what is the Brenner Pass like?

We are hoping to visit Lucca, San Gimignano and Siena. Possibly Lake Trasimeno too. On the return journey we have friends who live near Zurich so any advice on the best route out of Italy through Switzerland would be helpful.

Fussen - purpose built Wohnmobilplatz (aire) available in the town, pay at ticket machine, good facilities.

Bolzano - I'm also interested in travel/site tips as we want to see Otzi the Iceman at the museum there this spring.

Lucca - a couple of car park type aires just outside the walls, we opted for the MH site (cramped pitches but 7m will fit) a short way out of the centre at 43.850586, 10.486071

San Gimignano - there's a spacious MH only site down the hill from the town with a free shuttle service at 43.455526, 11.034870

Siena - we used a MH tolerant overnight parking area behind shops at 43.341891, 11.305126 and caught the bus in and out. You have to buy tickets at the nearby Tabbachi (newsagents) before boarding the bus.

If you go from Italy to Switzerland via the Gotthard Tunnel the toll is included in your vignette fee - it's pretty straightforward driving. It's when you avoid tunnels that it can get interesting.

OP
OP
AnEnglishmanAbroad
Aug 18, 2014
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you everybody for the sound advice and the links to travelling along our proposed route. Very helpful. Judge Mental I take the point of the advice simply to go via Switzerland. Worth careful thought.
Travelbunyip, what a great blog and really informative. Magicsurfbus again excellent detailed advice. Will buy you all a glass of vino or two if we meet up in Europe. Best wishes.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Best country in Europe Italy. The sights.food and effervescent people..Enjoy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
The non-motorway roads are really dire in Italy, worse than Belgium and that's saying something!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back