Germany plan to introduce a motorway tax for foreign cars (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Germany wants to slap a "tax" on all foreign vehicles, gets slapped down. So Germany slaps this "tax" on ALL vehicles, giving German vehicles a refund via a tax reduction.

Germany's neighbours go nuts, Austria, Belgium Denmark and Holland considering taking Germany to court over discrimination as it still leaves a situation where foreigners pay a tax Germans don't.

Doncha just love "European Unity"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rmany-to-court-over-motorway-tax-foreign-cars

Pete

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Germany I surunded by county's that could tax them on ther vehicles.
Espechaly the uk I have always Ben of the opinion any fuel in their tanks should have uk duty played on it
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are due to visit Germany in February.

If the Tax is introduced following their elections next year we will vote with our wheels thereafter and visit other countries in Europe.

There are plenty of them.:)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Could be expensive if you have a toad!:imoutahere:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What a muddled story, if you read the third paragraph from the end and the penultimate they seem to contradict the rest of the item. The EU commissioner now says they have reached agreement so there is no discrimination against foreign vehicles. So what's left is a motorway toll system based on the amount of pollution from each vehicle. It sounds a smarter way of applying tolls than that used in many other European countries.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
So from now on its Skegness or bust.
No more France, Italy, or Crotia, too many tolls. No more Austria, Switzerland, or Slovenia, too many go boxes or vignettes.
They will be taxing wine next.
Oh hang on a minute, just booked the Chunnel for next year.
Phil

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Germany wants to slap a "tax" on all foreign vehicles, gets slapped down. So Germany slaps this "tax" on ALL vehicles, giving German vehicles a refund via a tax reduction.

Germany's neighbours go nuts, Austria, Belgium Denmark and Holland considering taking Germany to court over discrimination as it still leaves a situation where foreigners pay a tax Germans don't.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rmany-to-court-over-motorway-tax-foreign-cars

Pete

For once you might be right......

The UK system is much better, tax the locals for the roads and let the 'foreigners' use them for free...What a spiffing idea...

The French used to do that but thought it was unfair so ditched the 'road tax'...

OP
OP
Tykatem
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
The French used to do that but thought it was unfair so ditched the 'road tax'...

Then they introduce Macrons Law.....

Where European Unity is shown at its best. With France using this law to drive the Eastern European hauliers away from operating on their territory.
Drivers need to carry a copy of their contract and a recent wage slip to prove they earn the French minimum wage.
You also need to appoint a local agent.

Broken Link Removed

I can feel the bonne amitie and togetherness from here...........

Pete

OP
OP
Tykatem
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
I think there is currently some action being taken against this by the EU for the same reasons as the objections to the German scheme.

Germany imposes distance-based tolls on motorway use by all trucks as from 7.5 t maximum gross weight, payable to tolls operator Toll Collect. German toll amounts depend on:

• Emission class
  • Axle number
  • The length of the toll stretch
In addition to motorways, toll charges also apply on the use of ca. 4,700 km of other traffic roads.

https://www.dkv-euroservice.com/gb/services/toll/toll-services-by-country/germany/

Pete

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Then they introduce Macrons Law.....

Where European Unity is shown at its best. With France using this law to drive the Eastern European hauliers away from operating on their territory.
Drivers need to carry a copy of their contract and a recent wage slip to prove they earn the French minimum wage.
You also need to appoint a local agent.

Broken Link Removed

I can feel the bonne amitie and togetherness from here...........

Pete

or they say you're welcome but you must meet your social responsibilities & no undercutting the local labour force, shame the UK government doesn't agree and do the same...It prefers its new status as the low pay capital of Western Europe...

Also Proves another lie to the view of the Dictatorship of Brussels...

Deleted User
Germany imposes distance-based tolls on motorway use by all trucks as from 7.5 t maximum gross weight, payable to tolls operator Toll Collect. German toll amounts depend on:

• Emission class
  • Axle number
  • The length of the toll stretch
In addition to motorways, toll charges also apply on the use of ca. 4,700 km of other traffic roads.

https://www.dkv-euroservice.com/gb/services/toll/toll-services-by-country/germany/

Pete

The relevant word being 'all'

Our system, which only applies to certain LGV's, and the proposed German system, is seen to be discriminatory to foreign vehicles as a rebate is given to domestic vehicles.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Kingston upon Hull... Ahead of the game in the '60's. From memory..mmmmm. Hull hauliers,along with the Unions/ Dockers help,formed a "Wedge Commitee",the hauliers with a bit of Union help,set Minimum wages for "4wheelers/6-8 wheelers and Artics,to be paid within the area. Dockers.With outside hauliers,coming and tipping out in Hull,they could take loads back,for Diesel money if they liked,keeping the rates down,this is where the Dockers came in.If the vehicle on the docks,did not have a "Head Office/Home address showing on the cab or chassis,they could refuse to tip them dockside... The little Paper shop outside Alexandre Dock gates,made a FORTUNE,selling little stick on letters....Result.
Lets forget about the English truckers,with massive fuel tanks,built to hold within 5 litres of the maximum allowed,filling up at Adinkerke,fuel as cheap as chips THEN! and coming home,draining it off into holding tanks to be used by the home based vehicles...of course,that did not give them an advantage:whistle:.
On a less............ Controversial point. I blame the.......Remoaners.. For letting it carry on:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Out means OUT(y)
Tea Bag.
PS. If it helps,although i would have voted out(First wife in) so did not vote.All the shinnanigans now will not affect me/us at all,so we will be sitting out here in the sunshine,watching the EU break up. There are loads of precedents in history,just look at the rise and fall of.....Empires... Come back Attila...All is forgiven:eek::eek::eek:

OP
OP
Tykatem
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
The relevant word being 'all'

Our system, which only applies to certain LGV's, and the proposed German system, is seen to be discriminatory to foreign vehicles as a rebate is given to domestic vehicles.

The UK's HGV road user levy applies to ALL trucks weighing over 12,000kgs that are not registered in UK.
UK registered vehicles will pay levy costs at the same time and in the same transaction as vehicle excise duty (VED). Payments will be collected by the DVLA.
A rebate is given to UK registered trucks via a rebate of their VED payment. So in effect all they've done is to lower the VED for UK registered heavy goods vehicles over 12000kgs, so that the vast majority are no better or worse off.

https://www.gov.uk/hgv-levy

I cannot find any evidence as to the EUssr objecting to this!

Pete

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Espechaly the uk I have always Ben of the opinion any fuel in their tanks should have uk duty played on it
Bill

And, presumably, any alcohol which you bring into the UK should have UK tax paid on it also? Gordon

PS it could save a fortune (and the environment) in fuel with folk carrying boxes of wine from distant lands, thus increasing their fuel usage PLUS those Brexiteers would know that everyone was contributing to their beloved country's economy. (y) It would also increase employment in port towns with more inspectors, tax collectors and enforcement agents. ;)

Deleted User
The UK's HGV road user levy applies to ALL trucks weighing over 12,000kgs that are not registered in UK.
UK registered vehicles will pay levy costs at the same time and in the same transaction as vehicle excise duty (VED). Payments will be collected by the DVLA.
A rebate is given to UK registered trucks via a rebate of their VED payment. So in effect all they've done is to lower the VED for UK registered heavy goods vehicles over 12000kgs, so that the vast majority are no better or worse off.

https://www.gov.uk/hgv-levy

I cannot find any evidence as to the EUssr objecting to this!

Pete

http://motortransport.co.uk/blog/20...sion-to-take-action-over-uks-hgv-road-user-le

http://motortransport.co.uk/blog/2016/10/07/has-the-eu-won-the-hgv-road-user-levy-battle/

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
And, presumably, any alcohol which you bring into the UK should have UK tax paid on it also? Gordon

PS it could save a fortune (and the environment) in fuel with folk carrying boxes of wine from distant lands, thus increasing their fuel usage PLUS those Brexiteers would know that everyone was contributing to their beloved country's economy. (y) It would also increase employment in port towns with more inspectors, tax collectors and enforcement agents. ;)
Never have Ben one for bridging back large amounts of drink usually take out more than we bring in
And usually whae out thare just buy as we go along
Bill

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have the opposite in this country, we the residents pay road fund and fuel duty vehicle purchase tax etc while visitors sleep in lay-bys fill up across the channel before they cross and pay absolutely f---all. Little wonder they can under cut uk drivers....:whistle:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013

Re- tax on goods brought into the country............. We have got it all wrong

When i was a working lad, we had a contract to refurbish "check-out desks" at four Airports in Norway.

In Norway there is no need to to buy duty free products in a foreign country. When you return to Norway from one you then go through "Duty Free" .

Norway gets the revenues and it boosts their economy. No need to carry the goods all the way home. The queues at these checkouts were massive and there was plenty of them.

I also noticed on a trip to Dubai a few years ago ( a dry country) that they were selling booze in the duty free ON TH WAY IN.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
So how do you pay a fair tax On emissions, when you have a practically non enforced higher national speed limit (or no limit) than any other EU country ???? Surely going faster everywhere creates more emissions than having a sensible better enforced 70 mph national speed limit.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Thought that we had introduced exactly the same system a few years ago.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/hgv-road-user-levy

I think there is currently some action being taken against this by the EU for the same reasons as the objections to the German scheme.
If YOU lived in Dover like me then you would agree with taxing them. The place is full and blocked half the time with a continuous stream of lorries bringing in imports and going out with air. after doing a couple of jobs whilst they are here. Very few UK trucks doing it nowadays mostly East European ones running on cheaper EU diesel, never buying any here so we lose out there as well.

Deleted User
If YOU lived in Dover like me then you would agree with taxing them. The place is full and blocked half the time with a continuous stream of lorries bringing in imports and going out with air. after doing a couple of jobs whilst they are here. Very few UK trucks doing it nowadays mostly East European ones running on cheaper EU diesel, never buying any here so we lose out there as well.

Yes I know:)

Am in complete agreement, what made you think otherwise?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002

Pete
Vive le Brexit .!!! Lol

syldale

Free Member
Dec 14, 2009
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
model
Exp
years
England have been taken for a ride for years waiting for the ferry just see how many vehicle's get of per day & are driving for free on our motorways ( i believe trucks pay £10 a day now ) where as we have to buy road tax BUT half an hour or so you have to put your hand in your pocket to pay because they have a different system to us & we as always get the s---y end of the stick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back