Germany in January! Are we mad? (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Dear friends

We are planning a very long tour, probably starting in October and focussing on Greece. A country that we love. We will probably go on the boat and take a slow drive back.

We would like to spend some time in Germany on the way back. Please note that we hate camp sites and always wild camp. It would probably be January when we arrive back in Germany. We don't mind bad weather as long as it is not too severe.

First of all what is it like in Germany. In France, Italy and Greece we have never had a problem, finding a quiet lane or aire out of the way.

Secondly, does anybody have any recommendations as to where to visit. We want to avoid large towns and cities. We have obviously heard of ,but know nothing about, The Black Forest etc but we have zero experience. Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Safe travelling
Paul

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Can't speak for January, but we are right on the Belgian German border and for the past 4 days it has been January weather.
We don't do campsites and are only away because of excess leave entitlement.
We are filling our days up with cycling disused railway lines in full waterproof gear on electric bikes.
Having done some Germany previously weinguts and breweries might be what I would look at.
Reccommendations will come in for romantic road and alpinestrabbe (January !) But the volcano route further north and the fairy castle route would also be our considerations at that time of year as well as thermes!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Germany in January, no thanks, a great country to visit when the weather is good but January wet, cold and a lot of snow. Years ago I used to go out there in February work related it could be pretty grim.
Don't forget November to April winter tyres with the 3 peaks symbol required.

OP
OP
Paul and Val
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Germany in January, no thanks, a great country to visit when the weather is good but January wet, cold and a lot of snow. Years ago I used to go out there in February work related it could be pretty grim.
Don't forget November to April winter tyres with the 3 peaks symbol required.
Thank you for the note about tyres, which I was aware of.
We don't mind bad weather. Its rather nice to be snug inside as the rain lashes down. Although one of our two small dogs, Margaux in the picture, absolutely hates the rain and hides under the bed if she knows it is raining , and she see the lead!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Off grid is fairly easy in Germany. They have lots of 'Stellplatz'. Some are paid some are free. Lots have water, waste and some have the option to pay for electric. In addition parking in non specified motorhome parks seems ok too. We only stopped in a couple of 'unoffical' places as designated parking places were so numerous.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I would probably use Stellplatz - lots on the usual apps.

As for Germany in winter - having visited for work late November/early December it wouldn’t really be my cup of tea … I’d probably plot a route through interesting towns and castles as the days are short and weather could be quite bleak

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Germany is fantastic and we've spent many nights there.
There are great museums like the mercedees benz museum, the steel museum.
Bavaria is amazing,
You could do the romantic road start down in Fussen and drive up through the various beautiful castles etc.

January might be wet, might have snow, might have sunshine, days are shorter but still beautiful..
Practically every town will have a stelplatz and likely to have space that time of year

OP
OP
Paul and Val
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a stelplatz?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a stelplatz?
A designated overnight stopping place for motorhomes.
An aire in France would be the equivalent but more charge in Germany. 6 to 10 euros is about the price. Sometimes leccy on top.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In addition parking in non specified motorhome parks seems ok too.
Providing there isn't a cars only sign you can overnight in a car park.
Same as UK sign.
Screenshot_2023-03-11-19-12-52-52_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Fussen, Dinkelsbühl and Rothenburg are some of the better Bavarian villages We have visited.
Think we paid from €6 up to €10 per night.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Fussen, Dinkelsbühl and Rothenburg are some of the better Bavarian villages We have visited.
Think we paid from €6 up to €10 per night.
Yes, Rothenburg stunning in all weathers and Dinkeldbuhl, Nordlingen worth visiting too.

Roby2008

Free Member
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
It's a great country, so much to see and do at any time of the year, winter is much colder than the UK and you will need winter tyres or all seasons, either will need to be 3 peaks rated.
Your MH will need to be winter proof, temps of -10 Celsius and lower will happen.
My MH stays on my drive covered up from Nov to March.
But it would be an adventure so go for it, you can always move on..

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Yes, Rothenburg stunning in all weathers.
Rothenburg is a must visit place and we go every time we are going that way,

Although in October the temperature all of a sudden dropped by about 10 deg and then rain sideways with a howling wind through the streets🥶🥶
Seeing as I was in shorts and t shirt still it was a bit of a shock 😂😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back