Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
So..........

Having had at least three tries at getting away for a holiday this autumn, we have planned a 5 week trip in MH through Germany to Italy - transiting without leaving van through France/Belgium and Austria.

Problem is living in Wales - although I can only see my neighbors on a clear day and haven’t been within 5m of anyone but my wife for weeks.

Now I could do without the “how dare you holiday in a pandemic” replies - If I genuinely thought the threat to me or others was higher than staying here I would not go.

As I read the interweb, I would need, on entering Germany, to Quarantine for 14 days (tricky as passing down in 6 days) OR get a negative C19 test. I am asymptomatic.

So my question is, has anyone driven the A16 into Germany in the last few days and were vehicles directed off for a check/swab test?

Any other info welcome.

Ta

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
OK, stand down;-)

It's getting too complicated - Italy now wants negative C19 test at border and my interpretation of the german regulations - in German - suggest: 1; German campsites will check C19 status or turn away and 2; there is likely to be individual regional lockdown very soon.

So yet another potential holiday cancelled.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
OK, stand down;-)

It's getting too complicated - Italy now wants negative C19 test at border and my interpretation of the german regulations - in German - suggest: 1; German campsites will check C19 status or turn away and 2; there is likely to be individual regional lockdown very soon.

We gave up on our hols too. Germany is looking quite attractive as a place to hole up for a couple of months but we're stuck here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
agreed - I like Germany and Germans, plus it's a big place and on the whole they obey rules, so C19 less. But, adventurous chap that I am, even I have a limit to the embuggerance I can anticipate without whittling my tripe out.
So yet another Garmin route placed in the archives for the future.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Have a look at Northernraider Zorba thread.

Basically you have up to 10 days to get a test once entering the country - this is free
There's an app similar to the NHS one - your test results should appear there... quickly if positive.

That's the theory

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have a look at Northernraider Zorba thread.

Basically you have up to 10 days to get a test once entering the country - this is free
There's an app similar to the NHS one - your test results should appear there... quickly if positive.

That's the theory

My understanding (which will need double checking) is....you can negate the German test by taking a test in this country 2 days before getting to Germany, so take test on Monday then leave, get to germany on Wednesday and get the text update negating stopping at border for 5/6 days.
Unsure if Italy is the same or whether you can get to italy in 2 days from Wales. Or as Langtoftlad says get a free test in Germany for when you want to go to Italy.

The way the figures are going in those 2 countries you can expect a fortnights isolation upon return.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We flew into Frankfurt on Thursday morning, chap at passport control said have you filled a form out, said no and he said ok and let us through😁😁

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
For info - Today's 14 day Cumulative number of COVID-19 cases per 100,000

Germany 41.5
Italy 56.5
United Kingdom 218.2
Spain 307
France 260.2
Portugal 110.7

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We were in Germany two weeks ago. No problems at border or at sites. Things must have changed.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
OK, stand down;-)

Why cancel, get yourself on the road, everyone in Europe is very welcoming. Germany is a great country and there are plenty of options still to get over Europe, especially if you transit through to Germany, spend a few weeks there and head over into central/southern Europe.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We're in Germany now, apart from one SP where they collected the money weve only needed to give contact details once, no sign of checks on borders at all.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I left Germany Monday no issues at all ,only one place asked for my details .There were CV stations at services and I was asked if want a test I said no and they said no problem on your way . France no body interested !

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I left Germany Monday no issues at all ,only one place asked for my details .There were CV stations at services and I was asked if want a test I said no and they said no problem on your way . France no body interested !

Just came back yesterday from DE. Just like 2wks back i was offered a roadside test which i took (again) and only the odd question of where you're going, how long etc. Things were slightly tighter than 2wks back when i was last there but perfectly possible to travel.

Italy next 2 wks.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Now we re registered and almost good to go, we re planning a couple of weeks in Germany. AFAICS their numbers are less than a quarter of ours, so one is 25% as likely to encounter a carrier there. It would be outrageous of us to slap a quarantine on them, I'm much more concerned whether we will get in OK.

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
The issue is that Wales has been put on the naughty step - despite my cut glass, received pronunciation, Oxford accent, the passport says home is in Wales.
If I could wing it and claim address across Offas Dyke I'd be straight out.

Although my reading of German official sites (very recent 8th October), there is a leitmotiv of clamping down and reducing free movement even within Germany.

Ja Wirklich sheiße und schade.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
The issue is that Wales has been put on the naughty step - despite my cut glass, received pronunciation, Oxford accent, the passport says home is in Wales.

Although my reading of German official sites (very recent 8th October), there is a leitmotiv of clamping down and reducing free movement even within Germany.

UK passports don't have an address on them or at least mine doesn't

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Next of kin of cohabiting spouse - reciprocated - address at back.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
having said that i am right peeved at the number times i have changed things this year....

and now to add insult to injury ,, as they say,,, ! to be very topical:-

someone from Liverpool or Manchester or Nottingham name any place in England you want that has a higher or same daily case number than Wales can visit , say Pembrokeshire" and we cannot!! "Borough Bound"! thats what we are!

sorry i digress. off soap box...

good sound bite though! " Borough Bound"!!! :blush:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Interesting, where on your passport does it say where your home is and in what format?

Geoff

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
OK stop tempting me! Decision has been made. Sad but made.

At the back of the passport I have my wife's address, which, despite being unfashionable, is the same as mine.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I am sorry you feel you need to make that decision.

When I read the Germany covid stuff two weeks ago prior to entering Germany, I understood free tests were offered to those already in transit across Europe from a “naughty” area. The implication was that they would/might charge you for a test if you had not already set out at the time of their latest update, around 1st October. This may/may not have happened. I guess folk need to do their own research at the time of their planned travel.

In reality, border crossings were dismantled years ago. It would be totally impractical to police all roads into Germany from elsewhere. All they could possibly do is to make it illegal to enter other than at manned crossings. Seems very unlikely.

When I lived in Geneva years ago, the major border crossings were manned in the evenings and the minor ones were generally not. In this latter case there was a sign saying entry was prohibited between x and y hours. Occasionally a minor crossing was patrolled in the evening to catch folk arriving with a bootload of untaxed French wine. Don’t ask me how I know!

Covid is a bit more serious.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
OK stop tempting me! Decision has been made. Sad but made.

At the back of the passport I have my wife's address, which, despite being unfashionable, is the same as mine.
Just put a label over and write another address (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back