Germany. Bike help please (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Hi .we are in lahr in Germany. Went out with doggyhut trailer on tow on back of bike. About 12k away from van Mrs c said trailer wheel was wobbling had a look and bearing on one of the wheels had collapsed alsowheel other side nearly gone too.managed to bodge and get back to van ...just.
Soooo where could I source new bearings or buy a reasonably priced new trailer over here? Otherwise holiday won't be much fun as we'd planned to cycle loads.
Tried one bike shop but no joy.
Any help enormously appreciated.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
any decent bike should should be able to replace the wheel bearings .. failing that, provide new wheels

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Go on Google maps and enter "zweirad". This will then show all the bike shops near you. Like this: :)

upload_2018-8-14_14-57-44.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
any decent bike should should be able to replace the wheel bearings .. failing that, provide new wheels
Think problem is that they are sealed bearings.and depends if old shaft will fit through new wheels bearings

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Think problem is that they are sealed bearings.and depends if old shaft will fit through new wheels bearings

nearly all bike wheels are sealed bearings.. if the axle is worn down due the bearing turning on the axle, then it may need new wheels.. but the bike shop may be able to fit slightly larger ID bearings .. or complete axles and bearings. depends if they are a proper bike shop or just a bike retailer..

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Hi .we are in lahr in Germany. Went out with doggyhut trailer on tow on back of bike. About 12k away from van Mrs c said trailer wheel was wobbling had a look and bearing on one of the wheels had collapsed alsowheel other side nearly gone too.managed to bodge and get back to van ...just.
Soooo where could I source new bearings or buy a reasonably priced new trailer over here? Otherwise holiday won't be much fun as we'd planned to cycle loads.
Tried one bike shop but no joy.
Any help enormously appreciated.
Any chance of a photo of bearings.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK you are Genius How do you know all this stuff ,you always impress me (y)
A bit of ancient memory dragged up somehow. I lived in Germany for a few years umpteen decades ago and for some reason I can remember the name for a pushbike in German. :) It means literally "two wheels".

But searching google maps is a very powerful tool. You can enter anything in the search field, "plumber", "cattery", "butcher" or even "camping". The latter will show up all the campsites and it works in Europe too.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
On the outer race of a bearing there might be a makers name and number. Do a google search on them and I suspect you will find lots of local suppliers.

Its probably a SKF or something like that.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
On a DoggyHut trailer i'd doubt they'd be sealed bearing, but i could be wrong. They are made up from similar parts at the same factory as the child trailers and both of those i've seen had classic old style free bearing mounts and what does wear on those is the bearing shield, least it did on ours. If it's that then it's an easy fix, but even easier if it is indeed a sealed bearing unit.

In and around Lahr they are some really good bike shops, i've been here that's only 12km away:

https://www.rad-schulz.de

Bought some tyres there last year, typically good and efficient !

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
A bit of ancient memory dragged up somehow. I lived in Germany for a few years umpteen decades ago and for some reason I can remember the name for a pushbike in German. :) It means literally "two wheels".

German for bicycle is Fahrrad (literally = travel wheel), often shortened to Rad = wheel -- see Radsport = bike racing (literally = wheel sport).

Swiss German sometimes uses das Velo.

Interestingly in Victorian times in the UK the 'penny farthing', or 'ordinary' as proper cyclists call it, was sometimes referred to as a 'wheel', hence many cycling clubs in the UK are still called Something Wheelers.

Signed a bike and language nerd. And it's not often those two interests intersect!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
German for bicycle is Fahrrad (literally = travel wheel), often shortened to Rad = wheel -- see Radsport = bike racing (literally = wheel sport).

Swiss German sometimes uses das Velo.

Interestingly in Victorian times in the UK the 'penny farthing', or 'ordinary' as proper cyclists call it, was sometimes referred to as a 'wheel', hence many cycling clubs in the UK are still called Something Wheelers.

Signed a bike and language nerd. And it's not often those two interests intersect!
Many thanks, I'm sure you're right, my German is rubbish but the terms seem to be interchangeable. In the part of Germany the OP was in "zweirad" seems to be more commonly used. :)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
These should be able to supply new bearings they have a branch in Offenburg (12 miles away)

shows local address and phone
HTSH :)

ps if you read number on bearing and quote that they can cross ref !

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Thanks for all the help. Ended up dumping this trailer and going to fressnapf pet store in offenburg to buy a new one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back