Germany/Austria August/September information sharing. (1 Viewer)

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
We will be traveling back from Crete arrive Bari 9th September and this looks a very good option for the return journey, looking forward to some good recommendations. Always fancied having a look Bavaria way
Ta

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
Thank you for some interesting and useful information, we taking Eurotunnel this Friday, travelling down to near Stuttgart (Business) , for 25th, after which we open to ideas. Thinking of heading to the Italian lakes, we need to be back at Calais for the 13th September.

hoping to avoid France and Q on the way back, depending on situation at the time.

Does anyone have experience of campsite/aires near to Saarbrucken?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Christian Marks is a Vet in Bernkastel on the Moselle, speaks excellent English & is switched on regarding the passport. There is a suitable car park just up the road from his surgery. You can email or ring, he usually just tells you to turn up during surgery hours. We used him on Thursday, he provided the wormers (1.5 tablets) & he charged us 12 euros. Here's his details
1597574108660.jpg

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
Christian Marks is a Vet in Bernkastel on the Moselle, speaks excellent English & is switched on regarding the passport.

Thanks guys, it’s a stop we’ll have to make on our way back up.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We went to Tobias Newberger a vet just on outskirts of Bernkastle today. Phoned up spoke English and booked us in. Went along today where he let us give our dog tablet, filled out paperwork and then said no charge. Fantastic so two vets to choose from. Now in stunning stellplatz in Wintrich river views, shade, grass underfoot, and a nice sectioned of area so got the table chairs and awning out. 🍾🍺🍷👌🏻

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I will start this thread off the same way i started the Guinea Pig thread.

This thread is designed for people who have, or are, or will be going to Germany/Austria as an alternative to France/Spain in the months of August/September. (or longer)

People interested in the thread should ensure their own travel insurance is in order, motorhome insurance, pet insurance and tv warranty are in order then anyone who wishes to participate shouldnt have a need to denegrade the thread with "You shouldnt be going, what happens if you catch it ? etc" You will have already made that decision, or it may or may not help you make that decision.

The idea is that, from information from other threads, many people are considering Germany/Austria and the situation is fluid. So advice as to where to go, what to do, where the good aires are, local info, possible meets, CV rates, local federal states anomalies, country transiting, UK Quarantine rumours/facts can be shared amongst those of us who are definitely maybe going.

Personally I am currently 75 per cent going to Austria then Germany on 28th August via tunnel for 28 days.

No need to update where you are if you dont want to. As when or if I am away, I will and I will try to update figures for CV so a best educated guess can be made for you to make your individual decision as to whether you feel the necessity to run to Calais like the wind. Others may update figures as well. It will hopefully be updated by all in Germany and I dont own the thread !

So hopefully this will be a nice place to post, without arguments about the life choices you have made for your own life that you dont have to live for somebody else.

To start with. I went over on 15th June ignoring the FCO advice and went to France. After 10 days of not bumping into anyone we decided Germany would be a place to go and went to Emmendingham (it has a lidls and a supermarket), a small town outside of Freiberg about 10-12 kms away. Big aire which used to be free. Maybe 30 van spaces. It now has a paying machine via card or cash. In June they were accepting cash so we didnt pay. Polizei came round about 0800 hrs to collect the money. There were only 5 of us there. Nobody paid. They looked at us and went away. But this was CV time and they probably didnt want to interact so I would suggest paying now. We went into the town and immediately noticed how much traffic there was. Germany was normal and we werent used to it. The market car park was jammed and the town heaving. We went into a big shop and everyone, EVERYONE was wearing masks. Rules in Germany are not French. They are to be obeyed. It was not what we were used to and basically we didnt like it as it was far too normal to what we had been used to for 4 months. We returned to rural France.
48.118063, 7.841125

I couldnt come home on 6th July so returned to the Moselle and stayed at Reil for 5 days. Reil has its own thread started by Snowbird Dave who is in the 5th Wheeler, first van on the right as you enter. It was 8 euros without leccy and 10 with i think. Rock hard grass. No wifi while I was there however Dave was in parlez with Madam Mayor to sort things out. Mainly Germans and many went locally going by their reg numbers. You can get right up the moselle here and it is a pretty town with views from the aire over the river to steep vineyards. Very obviously an electric cycle heaven area. Zell was just up the road and peope cycled to the Globus at Zell as quickly as we got there on the motorbike which was weird. Cycle path goes alongside the aire/stellplatz (they are stellplatzes) I didnt find out til we were leaving but people do swim in the moselle here. There is hardly any current. But i really wouldnt argue with the big boats which at the time we were there were very infrequent but increasing. The Globus is a great shop. Bratwurst cooked in a bun for 92 cents. While i am on prices, Diesel was about 1.02 but have heard it is possible to find it 1.00 euros. A man comes round and you pay cash but its kind of weird that there are 2 of them and they wont collect money for the other blokes days. Dave will explain it better
50.026666, 7.114320

In the course of time I will add some of the other stellplatzes which we found to be decent on previous visits.

Fill your boots, join in and share and if in Germany/Austria at the moment, give us all an update to help with our decision making.

Cheers
Great thread thanks for starting it. We too are booked on 28th but only got 18 days. Thinking if things stay as they are we will travel but will see next week closer, thinking it will be busy as ll the people who normally go to France will be there.

We did the Mosel last autumn and it was fantastic, the year before we did black forest and some of the romantic road down to Lindau and Fussen and stayed at some great places on both occasions.

For those who are used to France or are FLT's be warned you pay for everything in Germany, there are not many free Stelplatz and water is normally charged for as well, one even charged to operate the automatic loo emptying point!!!

Cyclist paradise with great cycle lanes everywhere and the bike seems to be king, take lots of cash/euro pieces as the credit card machine does not seem to have reached there yet:giggle:

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
fab thread we will watch with interest. Mosele river we did 2 years ago and it was great.
I have heard that the black forest is good but may be slightly overrun with German staycationers.
I could be wrong ?
Black Forest last week was heaving with German, French and Dutch. Too crowded for us to feel good about social distancing.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
View attachment 416369
We are off to Rurberg tomorrow ready for the off on Wednesday. Will probably go home via the Lille route to avoid cities.
Well interested to see what Rurberg is like. Presumably staying on the stellplatze ? It looks to be to go to holiday spot nearest Aachen so some photos of there would be well appreciated.
Rurberg could end up being the gateway to Germany this year !

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Think so, and looked at routes from there and two of the three involved cities which for our crossing times would be dealt with at am rush hour, so Lille route avoids this. Not sure yet, but that’s currently the plan.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
To wet anyone’s appetite
We stayed at a stell called
Weingut Geiger near Karlsruhe, and Baden Baden. Was a fantastic experience on a vineyard where they ,are you feel really welcome. 10euros for everything, pitch, water, electric, waste, toilets, showers Restaurant and bar there. We did the wine tasting there, twice, each. Then went on to buy wine, some which was 3.30 euros per LITRE. WOW, and that’s what I’m currently quaffing. We thought the price was for the tasting glass, but no it was for the litre. It was banged out busy as was weekend but great feeling to the place, but all went quiet at about 10pm ish, so no sleep was lost. They also do pre ordering of bread and croissants, sell home grown fruit and veg, and a girl goes round the site selling cakes from a small wooden trolly she drags around. The entire thing was professional but relaxed. We can’t wait to go back.

And the wine tasting was 4 euros, that’s 5 glasses and bread.
F9E65099-2118-4084-A266-7EF390180900.jpeg

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
I too was planning a France trip in Sept, but a Germany trip could well be on the cards.

For me the key point is whether Insurance will still be valid (not too bothered about 14 day Q on return) if we transit France directly to Germany (via Belgium)?

Also as we take a dog, has anyone tips on seeing a vet prior to return in Germany so Pet Passport is sorted?
There is a good vet at Bernkastel-Kues and a car park nearby. He speaks English as well: Christian.Marks @TierarztMarks.de Saarallee 14, Bernkastel_Kues +49 6531 915246

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
To wet anyone’s appetite
We stayed at a stell called
Weingut Geiger near Karlsruhe, and Baden Baden. Was a fantastic experience on a vineyard where they ,are you feel really welcome. 10euros for everything, pitch, water, electric, waste, toilets, showers Restaurant and bar there. We did the wine tasting there, twice, each. Then went on to buy wine, some which was 3.30 euros per LITRE. WOW, and that’s what I’m currently quaffing. We thought the price was for the tasting glass, but no it was for the litre. It was banged out busy as was weekend but great feeling to the place, but all went quiet at about 10pm ish, so no sleep was lost. They also do pre ordering of bread and croissants, sell home grown fruit and veg, and a girl goes round the site selling cakes from a small wooden trolly she drags around. The entire thing was professional but relaxed. We can’t wait to go back.

And the wine tasting was 4 euros, that’s 5 glasses and bread. View attachment 416384
Edited as the sat nav details I put in were incorrect and now they appear in the next post !

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
N 49.0847, E 8.06805
Is what I’ve got. It is a brilliant place. There is a mad German man on his bike running the Stell, and he can’t do enough for you. The owner of the vineyard drives round in a tiny piagio (sp) tuktuk delivering the wine to the moho’s.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Jim has just started a thread where he is thinking of doing some form of map system for everyone to view.

I was thinking of doing one just for this thread, but ideally dont want to be tied down putting everyone elses information on to google maps.

Does anyone know how I (or you) could create a map on google that can be seen and updated by other people with a password. Then we could have a map for Andys Weingut Geiger and he could add it (with comments) and then I ll add a stellplatz and the vets can go on by someone else in a different colour?

Does that make sense ?

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Right,

I need a guinea pig who has an email address and a google account and a bit of knowledge on google maps, so i can share a map with them where i have already downloaded previously used Stellplatzes and it was also my planning for the Vercors region.

Once I have someone to trial it out on I believe i have worked out how to share it and you can all add your own bits of information. It seems that if i am the owner of the map then you will have to provide me with your email (via pm) and I can sell you some insurance then i add you as a person who can view and update the map.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Just for info, we travelled from Trittenheim on the Moselle on Friday, non stop to the tunnel, took the route up above Luxembourg & through Belgium, we had constant delays enroute - roadworks, diversions, accidents, stop start traffic etc & it took 7 hours.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Info only the map is under the testing stage and if some updates can be added by my yet to be identified helper then I think we are on a go go and i can send a link to anyone who sends me a pm with their email who wants to to see it or update it.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I tweeted P&O to get their take on using ferry and quarantine and here’s their reply

“Good Evening, yes. The ferry is a transit stop and as you would need to get out of your car and mix with other passengers on board, you would need to self-isolate for 14 days. Hope this helps, *Vee “

Looks like we won’t be going on holiday 😢

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
One of the things to give extra consideration to this year would be the Geierlay Bridge just south of the Moselle.
There are tips to visit and rules to follow.
<Broken link removed>
Maximum 30 people on bridge, face mask mandatory. Literally no passing spaces.
1597741052638.png

1597741169543.png

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Sobernheim would be a great place to visit.
We looked at the aire whilst there on the motorbike and it was very nice. Memory states 11 euros.
It is famous for mud baths and there is a therme that does them and we were tempted but working out the costs put us off.
There is a walk that i think was 4 euros. Designed for kids. But we are big kids. Great fun. You have to take your shoes off and walk barefoot for about 3 kms across all sorts of obstacles from hot stones to wooden structures and through rivers AND a mud walk. We both agreed we felt better after.
1597742297389.png
1597742324184.png
1597742354615.png
1597742372909.png
1597742402525.png
1597742429655.png

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We are planning to visit Germany, departing Dover 1st September for 5 weeks. We will join meet at Reil for a few days and get a river cruise in and explore some of the romantic valley, then off to Berlin for a few days before heading south and exploring some scenic towns along the romantic road. We will end up in the Black Forest before returning home. We visited Germany in 2014 and did a lot of the must see places down south and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to returning, especially Berlin as I served there during the cold war.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Schiltach, free aire with space for about 10 from memory. The town would most certainly be a beau village in france. We got there from another place and i think it might have been triberg. Anyway we were in the middle of absolutely nowhere and then hit an LEZ area with a choice of returning 40 kms or gambling as it was a Sunday. We gambled and got the LEX sticker (umwelt) the next day at a garage. It is a harmless process that from memory you just take your V5 in and pay 5 or 6 euros and then you dont have to worry like we did. I would recommend just getting one. I heard horror stories about Baden Baden from someone.
Heres Schiltach
1597743058657.png
1597743091734.png
1597743142518.png
1597743172697.png
1597743198700.png
1597743230250.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!