German xmass markets advice please (1 Viewer)

octopush

Free Member
Sep 28, 2012
portsmouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2days
Hi we are looking to go to some markets in Germany around the middle of December But do not know were will be the best place to stay for about 5 days.

We have not been away in our mobile home abroad before so this will be our first trip over seas.

Any advice on were to stay for the best markets would be appreciated

Rob

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm afraid the usual reply is buy the junk at home. Manchester ( and Birmingham ? ) have German markets, no doubt others.

Personally I'd say save your money for a few months and enjoy the delights of the Mosel ( easy to get to, one hop from Calais ) late spring, but watch the weather to dodge the rain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
octopush

octopush

Free Member
Sep 28, 2012
portsmouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2days
Thanks Marina.

We do not just go there for the junk its the atmosphere that goes with it.

Plus you expect not to understand them in Germany unlike in Manchester and Birmingham.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Personly I'd stick to the French markets , pretty much same atmosphere , and they talk foreign and no where near as far to travel, only need to cross the channel and there any number in about fifty miles.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Nuremburg is considered to have a excellent Christmas market, I've visited the town on business many times but never made to the Christmas market. I've worked in Munich and they have a number of Christmas markets throughout the city, I've visited four of them. But like other I found them incredibly expensive.

The thing about Germany is the efficient and inexpensive public transport system, so it visiting either of these two city find a site or stellplatze near a train station in Bavaria and buy one of these tickets.
Broken Link Removed
27 euro for two people, valid after 9am weekdays and all day at weekends, up to 3am next day.
Its valid on all local trains of all rail companies and all transport association services (S-Bahn, subway, trams and buses) and nearly all scheduled bus services in Bavaria. Exceptions include school lines and certain private bus lines – in particular on toll roads and cross-border transports.

There are similar tickets in other laender, but as Bavaria is the biggest laender its looks the best deal.
Broken Link Removed

Good luck with your first MoHo trip abroad.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
[QUOTE="octopush, post: you expect not to understand them in Germany unlike in Manchester and Birmingham.

Your from the South and you understand them in Manchester and Birmingham.:)

Enjoy where ever you end up going.

Mel

Y

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Aachen, just across the Dutch/German border has a nice Xmas Market and there is M/H overnight parking in a huge car and coach park. Valkenburg, not far away, has one that is a bit different, in caves.

Koln is possibly the best as there are 6 or 7 to see - although frankly the ones right in the centre are the best and it's not worth the very long walk to the smaller outer ones. It is (or was) possible to book a space at the stellplatze near the Zoo if you try early enough then it's a short ride on the U-bahn into the centre.

Bonn is quite attractive too, although a bit spread out and not very big.

N.B. It's probably not worth bothering with an emissions sticker (although they are easy enough to get), but in Germany you are supposed to have winter tyres fitted November to, I think, March.

Personally I don't think the French Xmas markets are worth it; usually quite small.

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
Berlin is great for christmas markets and there are aires there too and of course you have the
history , the wall,checkoint charlie etc well worth it

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Cologne has at least three separate markets.

Most important thing is to wrap up warm, it gets bloody cold there !

Peter

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Remember if you are going to drive your van in a German city you need a sticker. As most cities have an emmision zone. The sticker shows where you can go. These are available on line before you go or you can get one from an approved garage.
http://www.umwelt-plakette.de

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back