LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Interested in a bit more detail - which model and how old? Lenny HB - any reason to think the Dynamic Line construction is any different from the Exsis-I pictures above.

It does sound as though this area of Hymer construction needs to be kept monitored. It's all a bit of a lottery. We came to Hymer from an Autotrail which had endless problems in the first 3 years when (in 2007/8) they had greatly increased production at the expense of quality.
it’s an A Class Elegance i seem to think purchased brand new and now coming up 5 years old. It’s leaked more or less since collecting it, certainly in its first year of ownership.

That’s not the only issue but this thread is about water ingress so didn’t mention them

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Motorhomes and caravans are in short supply and manufactures can't make them quick enough, god knows what's rolling of the production lines a the moment.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Motorhomes and caravans are in short supply and manufactures can't make them quick enough, god knows what's rolling of the production lines a the moment.
i looked into, albeit it briefly, maybe ordering a new one and was told 2023 😱.

An A Class is now off the cards for me as well due to them being held together at the front with Velcro and Sikaflex or a variant of it.

German build quality is obviously not what they claim or think it is 😟

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
German build quality is obviously not what they claim or think it is 😟
I disagree, the sealant that is there looks immaculate, the best example of sealant application I have ever seen.

They just forgot the last inch. :)

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I disagree, the sealant that is there looks immaculate, the best example of sealant application I have ever seen.

They just forgot the last inch. :)
you should see the sealant under his headlights then, i’m 100% sure you’d think it had been put on using a paintball gun.

TBH it’s an absolute disgrace and so are exploding headlights at over a grand a pop

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
you should see the sealant under his headlights then, i’m 100% sure you’d think it had been put on using a paintball gun.

TBH it’s an absolute disgrace and so are exploding headlights at over a grand a pop
I completely agree. 👍

Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Fairly new, since Sept 2016
my mates Hymer is like a collander at the back end, water in the garage 5-6 times, 3 new bedroom windows and waiting for a 4th.

It’s all being done under warranty even though it’s now out of warranty, it all started whilst it was still in.

He’s gutted to say the least but the dealer and Hymer are still trying to get it dry for him, 2 Autotrails before he says which were perfectly dry and fingers crossed so is mine 🤞
Our Autotrail has just had it's 3rd year leak/damp test and OK so far. Really pleased, especially because of the amount of drubbing Autotrails get from some people on here! Ours is an Imala and well superior to the Adria we had before.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Our Autotrail has just had it's 3rd year leak/damp test and OK so far. Really pleased, especially because of the amount of drubbing Autotrails get from some people on here! Ours is an Imala and well superior to the Adria we had before.

I’ve borrowed my sons damp meter and tbh was a bit sceptical regards using it, we are parked up near Kirby Londsdale and it’s peeing it down and it was when we arrived monday so.......

needing something to do I've just had a go with it all over and the max reading i’ve got so far is 12% with most being around 7%

Result, i’ll take that 👍👍

I agree with what you say regards the drubbing of Autotrail, it’s seem to be an hobby some have to give them a roasting every now and then and some not even having owned one.

I’ve never owned an N&B, Dethleffs, Hymer, Frankia, Concorde, Rimor, Chausson, Swift, Bailey, and a myriad of other makes but i’ve either spoken to or read about all of them having had issues with water ingress especially the N&B

But I don’t harp on about them either 😉

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
An A Class is now off the cards for me as well due to them being held together at the front with Velcro and Sikaflex or a variant of it.
The alternative is loads of extra joins of Sikaflex around the van cab, a structure that's going to flex at a different rate to the plastic bit at the back. I suspect there's more joints in a c-class than an a-class. And anyway, just about every leak issue people have are around the rear wheel wells and garage... which will be the same in either.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
The alternative is loads of extra joins of Sikaflex around the van cab, a structure that's going to flex at a different rate to the plastic bit at the back. I suspect there's more joints in a c-class than an a-class. And anyway, just about every leak issue people have are around the rear wheel wells and garage... which will be the same in either.
this is possibly correct,I really don’t know how many joints their are tbh

I do however know that the seen joints on my C class under bonnet look like they’ve been done by someone who takes a bit of care, and I see no velcro anywhere 😉

Does anyone know if motorhomes come under a crash test scheme like a car/van has to?

My mates Hymer would drop apart if involved in a front fender bender i’d say which ain’t good

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

I do however know that the seen joints on my C class under bonnet look like they’ve been done by someone who takes a bit of care, and I see no velcro anywhere 😉

Does anyone know if motorhomes come under a crash test scheme like a car/van has to?

My mates Hymer would drop apart if involved in a front fender bender i’d say which ain’t good
Motorhomes manage to fly under the crash test radar by not selling in large enough numbers. They rely on the crash testing of the donor van chassis to make basic certification. Worse than that, vans don't need to pass the same safety levels as cars.

A-classes (or at least the van based ones) still have all the crash structure up front and the floor from the van, just the bonnet and wings are missing. So the careful design to make is to metal deforms in the best way to absorb the most energy still applies. Gone are the days where an a-class was a welding hatchet job of donor bits and angle iron! So for front impacts there's probably not a lot of difference to participants between an a-class and a c-class.

A c-class would probably be better protect it's occupants from side impacts around the cab because of the doors and full metal A and B pillars, but as you're most likely to be hit by a car, most of it will be going through the floor anyway. Although I think the normal Ducato cab now comes with side air bags, which I doubt an a-class would?

If you are in an accident though, mass matters. Conservation of momentum means you're going to lose far less kinetic energy that the smaller thing that hit you. So whatever the ncap rating of the small hatchback, they are going to have a big headache.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

My workmates Autotrail he says needs almost £7500 to repair extensive damp in rear area and lounge area at the front, on a 2018 van.
He says he doesn’t even lock it now hoping it will get nicked quickly.

Feb 13, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115 Vogue
Exp
Since 2010
I think any MH will leak if the build quality is skimped on. Our new Elddis had a pond under one of the sofas first time out in rain. Back to the dealer who diagnosed missing sealant around the battery box doorframe. No problems since thank goodness!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I think any MH will leak if the build quality is skimped on. Our new Elddis had a pond under one of the sofas first time out in rain. Back to the dealer who diagnosed missing sealant around the battery box doorframe. No problems since thank goodness!
The correct statement regardless of manufacturer is all MoHo’s and Caravans have the potential to leak.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
My workmates Autotrail he says needs almost £7500 to repair extensive damp in rear area and lounge area at the front, on a 2018 van.
He says he doesn’t even lock it now hoping it will get nicked quickly.

Surely its under warranty until 2028, i know mine is with a sliding scale of costs after the first 5 years

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Surely its under warranty until 2028, i know mine is with a sliding scale of costs after the first 5 years
Think it may be limited to 5 years total now?:unsure:
But if hab services done it should still be covered.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Think it may be limited to 5 years total now?:unsure:
But if hab services done it should still be covered.

i'm pretty sure its a 10 year habitation warranty, the first 5 is free as long as the hab checks have been done by an Autotrail certified installer and recorded with Autotrail

After that the 6th year they pay 80% and you 20% on a sliding scale

or at least thats what my dealer told me

So far he and Autotrail have been spot on as well so i'm well impressed with both and no hesitation to buy another one

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Posted this a couple of years ago a lot of DL’s had same issue Hymer as always would not own up to there being a problem but did issuedealers with a seal kit and instructions if an owner found a problem

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
i'm pretty sure its a 10 year habitation warranty, the first 5 is free as long as the hab checks have been done by an Autotrail certified installer and recorded with Autotrail

After that the 6th year they pay 80% and you 20% on a sliding scale

or at least thats what my dealer told me

So far he and Autotrail have been spot on as well so i'm well impressed with both and no hesitation to buy another one
Ours (2013) is on a 10 year warranty with a reducing liability as defined by yourself but thought, possibly wrongly, it was now just 5 years.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Ours (2013) is on a 10 year warranty with a reducing liability as defined by yourself but thought, possibly wrongly, it was now just 5 years.
I've just rang my dealer who has confirmed it's 10 years with a sliding scale after 5 years on my 2018 Comanche

Phew!!!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've just rang my dealer who has confirmed it's 10 years with a sliding scale after 5 years on my 2018 Comanche

Phew!!!
Sorry for confusion! :doh: First keeper has the opportunity to purchase an optional extension to the 5 years.

Their 2021 T&C's say -
The Body Integrity Warranty covers certain defects resulting in water ingress through any permanent/fixed seam or seal joints in the habitation body of the motorhome.
Auto-Trail will, through its dealer network, cover the costs of the basic repair work (namely, labour and materials) to repair any defects with the habitation body permanent/fixed seamed or sealed joints for 5 years from the date of first registration of the motorhome, subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions below. There is an option for the 1st registered keeper to purchase an extension to the integrity warranty, this can only be purchased at the original point of sale and is for years 6-10.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
No it isn’t he bought second hand last year and checks weren’t done, it is to pay for, I did tell him not to.

The thing with Hymers is usually even if they leak it doesn’t do much damage. Any van can leak regardless of price it’s what damage is done is the important bit

Last edited:
OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
No it isn’t he bought second hand last year and checks weren’t done, it is to pay for, I did tell him not to.

The thing with Hymers is usually even if they leak it doesn’t do much damage. Any van can leak regardless of price it’s what damage is done is the important bit
I can only agree.

The water just run across the floor has been sealed and it’s done. No soft walls, floor etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back