German Used Van Import and VAT (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I am currently investigating the process to import a used van from Germany.
In the eyes of HMRC, what constitutes proof of VAT being paid by the previous owner in the country of origin, or do I actually need the proof as the vehicle is nearly 3 years old and has 10,000 miles on it.
The Van had one previous owner and was registered as new in France with French plates, if I import it, it will be from a German dealer with German trade plates for the transfer.
Just want to make sure I have all the correct paperwork from the dealer before parting with my hard earned cash.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We paid the vat in germany and made sure that it was shown seperately on the invoice. We then filled out the customs form in the uk ( in the post office import pack ) and sent this with the invoice to the dvla. A few weeks later the tax disc and log book arrived. I dont think the dvla will register it until they get te green light from the customs people. Just make sure the vat is shown seperately on the bill and you should be alright.

Neil

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Have to say I have never seen a German motorhome doing less than 90MPH on the autobahns, I made a mental note, never buy a motorhome from Germany!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DiddyDoddy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
Sometimes the dvla would want to inspect the vehicle before it can be registered in the uk.
I had this issue when i bought a scooter from Italy,in January this year.
Double check that issue.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Er.....90+ MPH in a motorhome, what kind of strain is that putting on the engine & gearbox etc ???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Have to say I have never seen a German motorhome doing less than 90MPH on the autobahns, I made a mental note, never buy a motorhome from Germany!!!!!
I got one!! Wish it would do 90........:):)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Er.....90+ MPH in a motorhome, what kind of strain is that putting on the engine & gearbox etc ???
Very little ....its likely to have more strain at slower speeds once cruising there's little strain whatsoever .......that's why vehicles with motorway miles are preffered

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Very little ....its likely to have more strain at slower speeds once cruising there's little strain whatsoever .......that's why vehicles with motorway miles are preffered
AHHHHHHHHHH......................Our Fiat 2.5 has now done about 172,000 KMs. If most of that was done in Autobahn thrashing then.........(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back