German help required

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by WynandJean, Aug 4, 2018.

1. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I have decided that the difficulty of dealing with ADAC when I cannot speak (or more critically read) a word of German are just not manageable. The service may be good but all correspondence is in German so I have emailed them saying not to renew my account.
    The reply means nothing to me. Have we any German speaking members who could tell me what it
    says? :-

upload_2018-8-4_10-14-50.png

• Like it Like it x 1
  2. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +2,554
    Copy and paste it into Google Translate :cool:

• Like it Like it x 2
  3. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +3,607
    Yep - as above. Easy peasy

4. lorger

lorger Funster

Ratings:
    +15,925
    You can get an app where you place your tablet or phone over the words and it automatically translates, ideal in resturants with no English menu.

5. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

Ratings:
    +307
    I also decided not to renew with ADAC for the same reason! Someone on here then said that it renews automatically, so I emailed them in July to say I did not want to renew on 1st August. I received no reply until today, when they said they needed 3 months notice to cancel & therefore my membership was open until 1st August 2019! I have checked my credit card & no money has come out as yet. I have emailed them back saying I consider the account cancelled as per my last email, as I was unaware that it was auto renew (like the op says, all the correspondence has been in German, and they have never replied to any previous emails). I have said I will not be paying for another year, and consider the matter closed. I now wait to see the outcome! In answer to the op, I cut and paste the email into google translate.

6. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +4,567
    It s basically saying your stuck with them until 31-08-2019 and you will need to still pay :( . They wont be able to allow the discount on your partners policy , and if partner wants to terminate as well fill in the form to ask to .

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

Ratings:
    +307
    Unfortunately the OPs letter says the same as mine! Does anyone know if the auto renew, and more unfortunately the three months notice, is a new thing? Anyone know where they say that in the membership details? I received a very thick booklet through the post, in German, and that made it even more difficult to translate!

8. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

Ratings:
    +307
    Which form are they on about? Why does my partner have to cancel separately when we applied as a couple? Does anyone know what they mean please?

9. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

Ratings:
    +307
    Also, does anyone know if they can take the money from my credit card without my permission? Thanks in anticipation

10. golly

golly Funster

Ratings:
    +7,509
    Juzt cancel the standing order with your credit card they eill soon be in contact when tbey cant obtain the money

11. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +4,567
    My German is abit rusty , dont get there as often as I used to, so may have missed some nuances in the language used .
    They may also have understood that only you wanted to cancel , and that in that case partners discount for second membership would not apply , and she will also need to cancel . If she isnt wanting to then she will pay full price. The "form" to fill in may only be her notifying them in writing (email) . HTSH

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Ratings:
    +1,484
    @tacr2man has read it correctly. (y)

As far as I know, it's always been a matter of giving 3 months' notice to end at the end of the current membership period. I wouldn't have thought that they could take the money off your card, though, if you cancel the payment. Also think it highly unlikely that they would bring a claim against you, even if you are in breach of contract. :)

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. pagey

pagey Funster

Ratings:
    +268
    dont quite understand this i am sent renewal form every year and bank details but like you i dont speak german so i phone them up and they take a payment from whatever card i give them the details from

14. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ratings:
    +8,651
    Despite many attempts I have never managed to arrange an auto renewal, this year I renewed in July and the operator said that they were not allowed to keep credit card details for auto renewal'

I had an issue with a credit card direct debit quite a few years ago and was told that only the credit card provider could cancel the arrangement, don't know if it is still the same.

I had an issue with a French mobile home insurance provider a couple of years ago when their premiums became excessive. I rang them up to cancel and was told that they needed 12 months notice and was very insistent about this being the case in French law. The only way out was to sell the van, which I did......to my BIL for nothing who then promptly sold it back to me for nothing:)