German export plates (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Dealer has agreed to help me and will be sending someone along to the Kfz-Zulassungsbehörde with me. They do seem a bit more organised than DVLA!

One thing I still need advice on is whether I need to follow the formal customs export process - even if the van has never been registered in Germany.

VAT will have been paid locally, and then when I provide proof of UK VAT payment, the dealer will refund me.

Can anyone confirm whether they did this?
I did that last October.
Had to pay German tax then once sorted with DVLA and HMRC send them a copy of V5 and VAT receipt.
They were very slow paying back and had to chase them.
I believe some Germany dealers won’t charge VAT but you still have to send them the documents once registered.

My dealer also sorted out a third party 5 day insurance and reg number for me, don’t know what it cost as he included it in the price I paid.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So on a used van Lenny would UK charge another 20% when it comes over here from Germany or Belgium?
Yes since Jan 1st.
From the adds a on Mobile.de I get the impression the Germans charge VAT on the full price so you should be able to get that back but not on a private sale.
Brit dealers only charge VAT on the profit under EU VAT rules that was optional.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back