German and or Belguim for secondhand/new Hymers? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I know there has been quite a bit on here, as to the best place to buy a new or second hand Hymers. Can some one please provide me with the best places to visit in Belguim and or Germany.

Thank you.

colyboy

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
On mobile.de they rate the dealers.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
OK well I have said it before (and will say it again as I am in Germany) (y) . If considering a German motorhome I would get a very low milage one & check for accident damage. Reason being I see loads of them being driven like cars by Germans, IE thrashed down the autobahn at warp factor 6, not only that, thrashed everywhere, including the car park :doh:The classic (of many) was seeing a German thrash his motorhome down the badly potholed roads of a Spanish delta. I couldn't even keep up with him in a car let alone a MH:Eeek: stones spraying everywhere and clearly he was not bothered.He will just sell it to some unsuspecting Brit and buy a new one :cheers:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For Belgium there is only one dealer Campirama, for Germany the best place to look is Link Removed virtually every dealer in Germany lists S/H and new stock plus loads of private adds.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
OK well I have said it before (and will say it again as I am in Germany) (y) . If considering a German motorhome I would get a very low milage one & check for accident damage. Reason being I see loads of them being driven like cars by Germans, IE thrashed down the autobahn at warp factor 6, not only that, thrashed everywhere, including the car park :doh:The classic (of many) was seeing a German thrash his motorhome down the badly potholed roads of a Spanish delta. I couldn't even keep up with him in a car let alone a MH:Eeek: stones spraying everywhere and clearly he was not bothered.He will just sell it to some unsuspecting Brit and buy a new one :cheers:

That's put me off considering an ex-hire Hymer!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Should be OK if you buy from a German Hymer dealer, they tend to hire them from April until September then sell them off.
We hired a couple of times and the vans were in very good condition and you take them back they go over them with a fine toothcomb.

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
We are going to the Dusseldorf show in August and will then try and buy ex-rental or new from Germany or Campirama after that - assuming its a Hymer we choose!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I wonder where the Euro exchange rate will be by the time I've sold my AutoTrail with the referendum vote fast approaching?

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Depends if you are selling pre or post vote. The still seem to be selling in € at the same price as £ over here so still savings to be made just not as much as 9 months ago.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
What's the views on wether or not LHD secondhand Hymers (or any other makes for that matter) are cheaper abroad or in the UK? I've just taken another peak on autotrader and there are some very nice LHD models, albeit not that many, that seem pretty good prices to me. How do they compare with buying abroad?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What's the views on wether or not LHD secondhand Hymers (or any other makes for that matter) are cheaper abroad or in the UK? I've just taken another peak on autotrader and there are some very nice LHD models, albeit not that many, that seem pretty good prices to me. How do they compare with buying abroad?
Always be cheaper in Germany than the UK. Biggest savings are on new vehicles, also old ones can be good buys. Saving not so good on nearly new (2-3 years old), dealers work on much lower margins but they also tend to offer much high trade in prices which reflects in the sales price and the private market.

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
Hi, we bought an Exsis i588 ex rental from Germany in November, with 20k kilometers. Retail new in Germany was €96k, we paid €60k, which at around €1.40 at the time, equated to just over £43k. We could have bought a new Swift escape or similar over here instead!!!!! Ok it is left hand drive, but still easy to drive over here and ideal on our recent trip to France and Spain. It was a no-brainer for us, we simply could not afford or find one over here, the choice on mobile.de is immense. The euro is currently around €1.25, so you have to get your timing right.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Really, they are thrashed to buggery by German drivers, followed closely by the swiss :( I am guessing a hire vehicle would be even less well treated!!! I was driving a few days ago during the Thursday German bank holiday, loads of German motorhomes on the road, felt like I was going backwards on the autobahn at 55 MPH o_O

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We got our Exsis 698 last year through Ulrich Dürrwang very good service and an excellent price

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Not that I'd ever buy abroad but what happens regarding any warranty issues when you've brought the second hand van back home, or do you take it without any warranty?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Brother in law bought a new Hymer from Campirama in january.

From memory I think it was about 14K cheaper than UK dealer with more bits as standard.

They drove it to the port for them but werent great at communicating and no warranty issues AFAIK.

Dont forget - other german marques are also available, and if you really delve into Mobile.de there is a mouthwatering choice.

Jon
Just to put the other side of the argument - 5 years ago we trawled germany looking for our perfect MH and ended up buying it from travelworld because they had a LHD and did the best deal for the right vehicle on the day.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Not that I'd ever buy abroad but what happens regarding any warranty issues when you've brought the second hand van back home, or do you take it without any warranty?
Hymer have a universal warranty you can use any Hymer dealer

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
Had warranty work carried out at Highbridge, Hymer dealers, waiting for a replacement window blind to be fitted as soon as a replacement arrives with the dealer. No problem, they confirmed our two year warranty. Do any of you really believe a motorhome could be thrashed more than a ducato in the hands of white van man?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I can see driving on rough roads an issue with wear and tare.

But how do you thrash a diesel engine with a rev limiter.
Isn't that the idea of a limiter to check back the r pm?

Under revving and engine can cause issues in the future as well

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Had warranty work carried out at Highbridge, Hymer dealers, waiting for a replacement window blind to be fitted as soon as a replacement arrives with the dealer. No problem, they confirmed our two year warranty. Do any of you really believe a motorhome could be thrashed more than a ducato in the hands of white van man?
There are few old white vans left in Germany, nearly all have expired at being thrashed down the autobahn at maximum revs.

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
There are few old white vans left in Germany, nearly all have expired at being thrashed down the autobahn at maximum revs.
Oh well, looks like i've wasted my £43k then. I'll just have to sit by the window and watch my Hymer fall apart on the drive! Never mind it's only money...

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Oh well, looks like i've wasted my £43k then. I'll just have to sit by the window and watch my Hymer fall apart on the drive! Never mind it's only money...
what on earth made you buy an old german white van for 43K, you could have bought more than 2 new ones for that !!

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
what on earth made you buy an old german white van for 43K, you could have bought more than 2 new ones for that !!

I know.

I'm suicidal now.

Think i'll just torch it for the insurance money and put myself out of my misery.

What was i thinking!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back