Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 69
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi All

We are thinking of trying the German Alpine Road this summer..... has anyone here done it? Any info that you can share would be most appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Stu

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
If you mean the "alpine strasse" east of Fussen, I nearly did on our first tour. Relatively camper virgins. We had a 8 mtr van and the wife freaked outright at the start when it looked like single track with passing places and that there was a warning 3 times in a mile in English as well as German "NO CARAVANS".

I'd try it now with what I know if that is any help.

Dick

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I should be very careful with your route planning. Its very easy to find yourself on a VERY LONG mountain road/track with no room to turn around and a queue of angry German drivers behind you. Don't ask me how I know!!!

Bavaria is my favourite part of Germany but you are next to the Tyrol and Austria just plan carefully. I would recommend you stay over in Mittenwald and catch the train into Garmisch. The mountain railway to the highest beer garden in the world is next to Garmisch station.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Stu

You could start with a gentle trip to Polch the home of your ARTO, we did this trip early last year stopping at Brugges and then Thieu in Belgium followed by Monschau in Germany before a drive through the Eiffel mountains and passing the Nurburgring to spend a night on the factory Stellplatz.

From the factory you can get onto the Rhine or the Mosel and make a nice trip with lots of Stellplatz as you go. We finished up in the Netherlands for the Tulips but it was early in the year.

Martin

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Screenshot_20180109-092835.png

OP
OP
arto stu

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 69
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Stu

You could start with a gentle trip to Polch the home of your ARTO, we did this trip early last year stopping at Brugges and then Thieu in Belgium followed by Monschau in Germany before a drive through the Eiffel mountains and passing the Nurburgring to spend a night on the factory Stellplatz.

From the factory you can get onto the Rhine or the Mosel and make a nice trip with lots of Stellplatz as you go. We finished up in the Netherlands for the Tulips but it was early in the year.

Martin

Hi Martin,

now that is not a bad idea!... are the Stellplatz plentiful and easy to find?...do u have a link to a directory? Did u contact the factory first... mind u i dont think i could trust myself looking at all the new shiny vans.... :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin,

now that is not a bad idea!... are the Stellplatz plentiful and easy to find?...do u have a link to a directory? Did u contact the factory first... mind u i dont think i could trust myself looking at all the new shiny vans.... :)

Plenty of Stellplatz for sure and the factory one is open to everybody so to need to contact them, the showroom will open weekdays and Saturdays.

Assuming you have a smartphone or iPad or both its worth paying a few € and getting the Campercontact app https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app?fromsso=1

IMG_1322.PNG

Screenshot from Campercontact parking app the N+B factory is the one highlighted in Red to the left of the 48 and it only 20 miles to the bottom left of the screen at Cochem so it gives you an idea how many there are.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back