Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Has anyone done this before, i have stumbled on to this and it looks great fun. Im off tomorrow to have a go. This is worldwide so im sure some of you must have done some. Please let me know if you have ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Thanks

Neil

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Yup, done a few locally and 1 in Bulgaria. A great excuse to explore your surroundings.

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Wicked!
I want to get a geocoin around europe or as far as it will go, so what better place to go than here as the funsters travel globally

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I've done it while running, a great way to explore new areas and an 'excuse' for a route.

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
Has anyone done this before, i have stumbled on to this and it looks great fun. Im off tomorrow to have a go. This is worldwide so im sure some of you must have done some. Please let me know if you have ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Thanks

Neil

Been a "cacher" for ages. A great way to explore areas you would not normally go to. Much easier nowadays with mobile internet via the dongle we use (or if you're with BT then their FON is a good idea for connecting to the net while out and about)

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Just had a look at their site and seems there is a site not too far from us , looks great fun and a such a healthy pastime ...you learn something every day :thumb:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
OK! This is me being fick - or just under-educated. :Sad:

What's geocaching? Heard OF it but nothing ABOUT it.

Simple explanation please. :Smile: (Deleting all references to our favourite Funster, coz I'm sure it's not got anything to do with him - or has it????)

John

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi John
from what i have worked out i think its like orainteering but with sat nav thingy or am i totally wrong:ROFLMAO:

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
OK! This is me being fick - or just under-educated. :Sad:

What's geocaching? Heard OF it but nothing ABOUT it.
John

It's about using a handheld GPS to track down a hidden "cache" which has been placed in an out-of-the-way place by another member. Once found you fill in the logbook, swap an item if there are any and log it on the site at www.geocaching.com It can become very addictive, especially if you are an outdoors person. That's the basic's but there's more to it than that, such as "travel bugs" etc.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
It's about using a handheld GPS to track down a hidden "cache" which has been placed in an out-of-the-way place by another member. Once found you fill in the logbook, swap an item if there are any and log it on the site at www.geocaching.com It can become very addictive, especially if you are an outdoors person. That's the basic's but there's more to it than that, such as "travel bugs" etc.

?? Surely, if the GPS co-ordinates are published, it'll get found in about 'five minutes' - or am I missing something?:secret:

John

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
?? Surely, if the GPS co-ordinates are published, it'll get found in about 'five minutes' - or am I missing something?:secret:

John

Yes and No. Quite often there are clues to solve before you get the exact co-ords. Even then searching for a small object (sometimes no bigger than a film cannister) can be tricky, expecially if it's been camoflaged or it's in a place full of muggles. They are usually graded on their difficulty in finding. Some very easy, others bl***y difficult.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I have not done geocaching and even though I like the look of it am unlikely to as inherently lazy and Bob would not want to do it. It is not at all geeky or daft as a hobby, I used to go bottle hunting for goodness sake, not what you may think as I was a child at the time.
I have met some very enthusiastic geocachers, some I have approached by saying I hope that was what they are doing as they can look suspicious or mad! One couple I met were telling me all about it and as an example of one difficult cache they had looked for: they had returned to a wood several times as they had narrowed the location right down but they just could not find it. Anyway, they went there over a period of several months as it was a nice walking area. Eventually their attention was drawn to one acorn that was resolutely hanging on an oak tree after all others had dropped. The acorn was the cache and you unscrewed it in half and the 'paperwork' was inside to record your find. Brilliant I thought.
Another thing I used to do as a teenager was 'foxhunting' no not that but one CBer goes off in their car and parks up and other CBers use the signal strength and hints to find the location. Well, we enjoyed it at the time! Jane :roflmto:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I have friends who are based in Europe who are far too active for me, but they marvel about geocashing, and also do it whilst on holiday.

I was speaking to them the other day whilst I was in Greece and they were in Slovenia and they had been doing it there too. They came across a 1.5m snake in the grass whilst looking for the cache. They find it a brillant way of getting out in the fresh air and getting exercise and seeing places that they might not normally explore.

Its on my to do list once I am fit enough :ROFLMAO:

I think it would also be great for families to get involved with.

Pat

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
I think it would also be great for families to get involved with.

Pat

We used take our kids with us when we first started and they were very enthusiastic and competative with each other in the hunt. The look on their faces when they found a cache was worth the effort every time.
Now they've outgrown it and their time is taken up with more useful persuits such as boyfriends, girlfriends etc.

SpaceMonkey

Free Member
Jul 13, 2010
Marple Bridge , Stockport
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
We go now and again with the kids. Its great fun and takes you to places you would not have normally discovered. I bought my youngest son a travel bug, and he set its goal to travel to bude. In two months its traveled to 10 caches and about 500 miles, its currently in ilfracombe.

We want to take one to europe and see if we can get it to travel home again via caches.

Give it a try!

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
We go now and again with the kids. Its great fun and takes you to places you would not have normally discovered. I bought my youngest son a travel bug, and he set its goal to travel to bude. In two months its traveled to 10 caches and about 500 miles, its currently in ilfracombe.

One of my old travelbugs has so far done 36081.5 miles and still going strong. Seems to have travelled almost everywhere - if only we could have gone with it..

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Help!!!!!!

We've done a bit and have been eyeing up some very nice anoraks in Millets!:cry:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Is it legal?

Gio Catching sounds a bit racist
Is he italian ?

Or is it a sort of modern Orienteering ?:winky:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Mrs Ash introduced me to it, love it, it gets me away from the computer and out in the fresh air , it can be very frustrating sometimes too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I find it gives me a purpose to go for a walk as also while following the GPS I dont notice how far I have walked then and feel chuffed when it was a good distance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have now geocached, in Wales, England, France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Spain
I would love to cache more often than I do ::bigsmile:
:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Have a couple of Travel bugs doing the distance too
for more info go to >>>>geocaching.com

Kath

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Is it legal?

Gio Catching sounds a bit racist
Is he italian ?

Or is it a sort of modern Orienteering ?:winky:

Nah! He's the bloke from the Go Compare adverts isn't he?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4VFeYZTTYs"]What Is Geocaching? - YouTube[/ame]

Pitmanuk

Free Member
Jul 16, 2017
West wales
Funster No
MH
Movano lwb conversion
Exp
New van owner
we love geocaching and its one of our fav things to do when we are out in the van and the kids love swapping swag. every week long trip we do we try to release a new travel bug.

happy caching

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome to Fun, Mr Pitmanuk...

Just to let you know...

The thread you posted on is over four years old now...

But you might have given it a new life!

I don't geocache but I know Funsters who do.

JJ :cool:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
we love geocaching and its one of our fav things to do when we are out in the van and the kids love swapping swag. every week long trip we do we try to release a new travel bug.

happy caching
Welcome to Fun and don't worry about posting on an old thread - it happens all the time here. :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my son does it therefore we often get involved when were away with them some of the caches are a series of caches that form a nice circular walk they are not easy to find at best most gps seems to get you within 12ft a 24ft radious of woodland or hedge row takes a lot of searching when what your looking for is the size of 3 stacked 1 p coins

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back