Gentle Route from Liverpool to Portsmouth (1 Viewer)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Afternoon chaps and chapsessess.

Have I really been back for three months? Sheesh, time flies. On Monday I catch the boat to Liverpool and on Friday I catch the boat from Portsmouth to Santander.

Coming back in June, I found the roads in the UK a little challenging. I took the A roads up to Oxford and then motorways to Liverpool but the roads down south were nose to tail with traffic and the motorways weren't much better. I don't know England very well at all and wondered if someone might suggest an alternative, quieter route.

I'll be spending Monday night in Liverpool city centre and making an early start Tuesday morning. I've got three night so loads of time to pootle.

Any suggestions?

Deleted User
A49 Whitchurch, through Shropshire, Herefordshire can go as far as Monmouth or Ross on Wye, get to the M5 via Gloucester or from Monmouth down to the Severn bridge (free going that way) onto the M4 for a bit and then choose a route across to Winchester and onto Portsmouth.

We did that route a couple of weeks ago, took 3 relaxing days and saw some beautiful scenery, we went via Monmouth and then Bath but it was very congested round Bath. From Winchester it is possible to avoid the M3 and most of the M27 by cutting across country, A31 and then turn off, you will need to look at a map.

Have a good journey:)

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, looking at a map. Well, I've actually got one now although somehow I managed to travel without one for many years. I bought my first one in Spain in November 2015 (after many wrong turns) and couldn't believe how far I'd driven. Yes, I really was that useless.

Will take a look at your suggested route now.

Thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are passing Salisbury the C&CC site there, beside Old Sarum, is pleasant and within walking distance of Salisbury city centre. Not sure if it take non-members though.

Deleted User
Pic of said site, we visited Old Sarum en route but actually stayed in Winchester at a Coach/Car Park near the centre for ÂŁ7, toilets there as well.

I think non members are allowed to use C&CC sites but an extra fee is charged.

IMG_1630 (2112 x 1584).jpg

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back