Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Saw this on fleabay: item No. 270638248382.
After being offered a plug in by Bob (of Bobandjane) at Newark I decided they are a useful bit of kit.
This one is "pure sine wave", whatever that is.
Is it any good?
Kippors are noisy, Honda expensive.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This one is "pure sine wave", whatever that is.
Is it any good?

Spec is OK quality unknown. I've got one similar, hardly used it but it does work OK. With these unknown ones we take a gamble long term on life and spares.

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Thanks Brian.
The video blurb looks good, but then it would, eh?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
It looks good for the money, certainly for occasional use in the wild maybe.

Is this a case of "If it looks too good, there must be a catch".....?

I could be tempted though - thanks for the link.

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
It looks good for the money, certainly for occasional use in the wild maybe.

Is this a case of "If it looks too good, there must be a catch".....?

I could be tempted though - thanks for the link.

I was thinking occasional use.
Looks ok, but I'm no authority on Gennies nor electrikery.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
How about this one......

Link Removed

Would it charge my toothbrush???:Eeek:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi John,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDh0ZaN-wNQ&feature=related"]This chap might know more about the Kiam 1000i genny[/ame]:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jock.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Would never say don't buy a product like that - what I can tell you is we have had a cheap ones before and they have always worked and they have always broken down after 20 or 30 hours of use. They have always been impossible to easily source spares and so have ended up being scrapped. My advice would be to get a known name that you can easily get parts for or repaired it will be cheaper in the long term - you can always bet too that the cheaper ones are the ones you can hear on a rally field

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How about this one......

Link Removed

Would it charge my toothbrush???:Eeek:

That's a non-sinewave one, which means there is no electronic stabilisation so some risk if you connect electronic gadgets, like the on board charger.

A "pure sinewave" on really means "electronically stabilised for voltage and frequency".

A non "pure sinewave" one will give a sinewave output but it will very in frequency with the revs of the motor and so will the voltage.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Lots of people buy a cheap genny "because they will only use it a couple of times a year" In my experience if you are only going to rareley use it, buy a Honda. The cheap ones are better if you use them regularly. A Honda will start after being stored for months with just a few pulls, my experience with the cheapeys is that once you leave it for six months it dies, often forever, maybe I've just been unlucky, (but lucky with Hondas:Smile:)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Would have to be with Jim on this one.

Our Honda is a gem, has performed without fault at 2300m in -25 degrees, to the French coast in temps of 100 degrees,

Doesn't seem to matter what I do to it, it just keeps working.

Ive started to learn that if your going to buy something, buy it once.

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

Buy a honda and it will live forever, :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the cheapeys is that once you leave it for six months it dies, often forever

First time I came to use our cheapey in anger it would not start. But I was talked through stripping and cleaning the carb by their service guy. He said that every spring he has a nice little earner cleaning carbs with a bit of dried gunge in the jets. The hole in the jet is just one or two hairs in size.

Another tip he gave me, put a rag over the filler and blow like mad. They have a vacuum petrol pump so the first half dozen pulls is just getting petrol to the carb.

I'm sure we all know that petrol left for months goes stale. Drain and fresh petrol also a good idea.

Remove plug, clean it then heat it up some, replace quickly. This stops it getting wet.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
First time I came to use our cheapey in anger it would not start. But I was talked through stripping and cleaning the carb by their service guy. He said that every spring he has a nice little earner cleaning carbs with a bit of dried gunge in the jets. The hole in the jet is just one or two hairs in size.

Another tip he gave me, put a rag over the filler and blow like mad. They have a vacuum petrol pump so the first half dozen pulls is just getting petrol to the carb.

I'm sure we all know that petrol left for months goes stale. Drain and fresh petrol also a good idea.

Remove plug, clean it then heat it up some, replace quickly. This stops it getting wet.

Spoken liike a TRUE motorcyclist

:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
run it dry

i just drain most of the fuel out then start the genie and leave it running until it runs out of fuel that way there is no fuel in it to go stale or gunge up the carb.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
There is this Kipor on fleabay 220766174906 £255 +10 P+P next day delivery brand new

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Lots of people buy a cheap genny "because they will only use it a couple of times a year" In my experience if you are only going to rareley use it, buy a Honda. The cheap ones are better if you use them regularly. A Honda will start after being stored for months with just a few pulls, my experience with the cheapeys is that once you leave it for six months it dies, often forever, maybe I've just been unlucky, (but lucky with Hondas:Smile:)

My Kipor was going strong and only oil changes since new in 2005 and started every time BTW, it was so good some scum cut the security cable and nicked it.

Now C'mon do scum nick rubbish:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back